Are the new F series detectors as good as the older models?

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are the new F series detectors as good as the older X or the CZ series? I have used the 1266X and still have my CZ 5 detector which I have been using since the mid 90's. Know it like the back of my hand. So when the time comes when my ole CZ goes to detector heaven, should I stick with Fisher or switch to another brand? They didn't have a good reputation when the F series line first came out. However, now it seems like they are improved and have a following. What do you think?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher lost a lot of reputation when First Texas bought them I think because First Texas makes Bounty Hunters. I don't know if the F-series is really all that better but the warranty isn't for life anymore so that has to say something. The newer F's have different features than the older CZ's but I don't think they are as deep. My CZ-6a is still going strong. You just have to know your machine and I have all the coils for it.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman

That's why I am hesitant about buying another Fisher. About 4 years ago I had to send back my CZ5 because of a problem with my discrimination. The lifetime warranty was still on the detector (I am the original owner) however they were not too receptive about honoring the warranty. After a few exchanges they agreed to repair it. They repaired it at no charge and received it back in about 6 weeks. So I am wondering if that lifetime warranty is still valid. Still running like it always did. Do you know Sandman, if they (First Texas) still honor those lifetime warranties?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would either call FTP or address a message with M Scott @FTP in the subject line. Maybe he'll respond.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
I would either call FTP or address a message with M Scott @FTP in the subject line. Maybe he'll respond.
Mike Scotts email is .... [email protected] ....... And he is really good at responding to his Emails...

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Fisher been around for a good long time. If they put out new tectors that were not better than the old, then Fisher not be around for any time soon.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The F series detectors are Great machines. I love them all! Fisher and First Texas are top notch!

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gleaner1 said:
Fisher been around for a good long time. If they put out new tectors that were not better than the old, then Fisher not be around for any time soon.

I'm not really sure about that. The older models such as the CZ and 1200 series were great machines, built like tanks, with great performance and still considered to be of exceptional quality. When they switched over to the F series many people were disappointed.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had to send in my CZ6-A for repair last summer and they would not honor my life time warranty, i sold Fisher for many years,not when FT owned them.
But they did a great job fixing the detector,got it back in two weeks just cost me $155.00 and its deeper that when it was new.
As for the newer ones i just don`t know,had the F75 and gave it to my brother.
Gary G.A.P.metal

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Newfiehunter said:
gleaner1 said:

I'm not really sure about that. The older models such as the CZ and 1200 series were great machines, built like tanks, with great performance and still considered to be of exceptional quality. When they switched over to the F series many people were disappointed.

The major complaints were the assumed inadequate shielding, "flimsy plastic" and poor customer service. If you want a new machine built like a tank, avoid Fisher.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
G.A.P.metal said:
I had to send in my CZ6-A for repair last summer and they would not honor my life time warranty, i sold Fisher for many years,not when FT owned them.
But they did a great job fixing the detector,got it back in two weeks just cost me $155.00 and its deeper that when it was new.
As for the newer ones i just don`t know,had the F75 and gave it to my brother.
Gary G.A.P.metal

Gary, were you the original owner of the CZ6a? If so, they should have honored the warranty. But then again, like I said before they tried to avoid complying with the lifetime warranty. Honestly, I think I'd go with another brand name before trying the F series. Wouldn't take the chance of getting a lemon of a detector if the stories about it is true. One more thing. Is the CZ3D the same basically as the CZ5? Just wondering. The only difference is they renamed normal/salt mode to salt/enhanced mode and there is another tone. Am I correct in that assumption?

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Newfiehauter
Yes I was the original owner sent the card into the Fisher company but, FT sill would not horror the warranty and i just wanted my CZ fixed so i just paid.
Gary

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I updated my 1265x with a F70 a few years back. I haven't used the 1265x since. What some people call cheap and flimsy is a light weight detector I can use all day long without any aches or pains. My 1265 had unlimited depth but I dug lots of iron going for the deep targets. The F70 can hit those deep targets as well but the deep signals start to ID as iron. It took me about 4 months to speak F series language effectively(before that I was a complainer) but I love the detector and you will be amazed at what you can pull out of trashy iron laden sites.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
My 2 favorite detectors that I own right now are the Garrett AT Pro and the Teknetics G2 (same innards as the Fisher Gold Bug Pro DP). These are limited to 10" on a dime in air tests, but are good for finding tiny gold, have excellent separation, & can be used almost anywhere. The
AT Pro can even go underwater to 10'.

People write about these detectors see-through abilities in iron, and the lightness of weight enabling them to detect many hours without discomfort. They are best values for sure.

The F70 I used was too unstable on ID #s, tones, & made noises hard to tell from coins. That might be less annoying to a relic hunter, or a beach hunter as digging easier in sand & no worrying about grass damage.

The Garrett AT Pro correctly IDed a 7" deep dime, #s always 80-85, and a high tone on every pass, using STD mode sensitivity 7, coins program and manual ground balance. Pro mode does some tricks like detecting a coin under a nail. In my ground, most detectors can't ID a dime beyond 3" to 5". 7" is the deepest I've dug a dime ever as I only dig coin IDs.

The Teknetics G2 I haven't really taken anywhere yet, but my 5"+ dime, slightly tilted, IDs back & forth between zinc & dime, with a loud signal. It can sometimes be used at max sensitivity of 100, but gave an ID on this dime down to sensitivity 12. Ground phase reading tells you when you need to adjust the ground balance. Larger numerical ID than AT Pro.

The Teknetics T2SE is said to be several inches deeper, but costs a few hundred more. Best wishes, George (MN)

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
P.S. I had a Fisher CZ-7 & found more nails with it in a few months than in 35 years of using other detectors. The ID went down to iron on most objects if deep in mineralized soil. When I used the CZ-7 in MN, when it said nickel, it was never a nickel. Used it 1 hour in FL, it was a nickel all 4 times it said nickel. 20+ year old technology doesn't offer the benefits of what engineers have learned since then. Best wishes, George (MN)

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have noticed that many people have complained that the old CZ5's 6 and 7 has a problem with deep nails....However, I don't have that problem because I know my CZ5 detector very well....There are two tricks that I use to tell if it a nail or coin. First walking around the target as you swing will help you tell the difference. If the signal disappears as you do this at any point, it is probably an iron nail. Secondly you can turn down the discrimination and if you get the iron tone, again it is probably iron. On several occasions, I have dug the target to be certain, and sure enough it turned out to be iron as I suspected. The thing is to get to know every nuance of your detector.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My current F75 is my first Fisher, so I can't say much other than that I am very happy with it. It's half the weight of my old Minelab and, while some might say that means it's flimsy, I haven't broken it and I sure appreciate the light weight after a day or weekend of swinging it. It's running on four AA batteries - not much weight is needed for the small electronic components - so why make a club out of it?

Having spent years with an audio only detector I didn't think I'd come to rely on the display as much as I have. It's consistant, and after digging everything (still do on occasion) I have come to trust what it's telling me.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Charlie P!

Did you say your F75 only runs on 4 AA batteries? Gee, that is a cheap detector to operate! My CZ eats two 9 volts in about 20 hrs or less!! And 9 volts are expensive compared to AA's. What is the life span of your batteries in the F75? That would be a huge consideration when buying a detector. Batteries now cost a fortune, especially if you are doing much detecting.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About 30 hours with headphones & alkalines. Could probably stretch 'em further - but I figure that's about the time I walk over the 10" deep gold piece and miss my once-in-a-lifetime chance. :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread