Silver Slayer

Jun 19, 2010
CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, XS, Minelab Excalibur Sea search, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone,

Well I finally toke my new F5 out yesterday and found there is a little learning curve from my F2. Can anyone give me there Gain and Threshold settings that you like to use on your hunts. I had my machine running really hot it was jumping and bouncing around a lot even after ground balancing. What would be a good setting to stabilize the machine a little more?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :notworthy:

Thanks

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try and start out with the gain at 65 and threshold at minus 2. Be sure and ground balance. After you get more familiar with the unit, you can start increasing the gain.

Wayne

OP
OP
Silver Slayer

Silver Slayer

Jun 19, 2010
CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, XS, Minelab Excalibur Sea search, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try and start out with the gain at 65 and threshold at minus 2. Be sure and ground balance. After you get more familiar with the unit, you can start increasing the gain.

Wayne

Thank you Wayne for the great tip!

Texas Looter

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read a post by Mike Hillis on findmall about maxing out the threshold and then being able to possibely max out the gain in some soil conditions for coin hunting.

I tried it and in my mild soil i can run max gain and that increased the depth a inch or little better. Doing so also acts sort of like audio boost bringing the deep faint signals out better.

Here how to do it.
Set gain to 75 and threshold to +5 now turn the threshold all the way to hard 9. Read complete stop like you are going for 10 that ant there. Hopefully your machine is stable. If not repeat the procedure. Some times you have to turn the threshold knob a little slower or maybe faster but make sure you go all the way once you start turning. Once you get it quiet you should be able to increase gain also. Thing about that setting you can turn off the machine and if you do not turn the threshold knob it will stay set. I can hit a planted dime at a honest 9" with that setting in my soil.

This is something you might want to try. Now make sure that you are outside and away from any metal and the coil about 3 feet from the ground.

You might give it a try.

j piddle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread