Why is the CZ3D so expensive?

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quote from Jerrasic Park to the kid with the night vision goggles" lawyer ask,are they heavy,kid says Yes,well then put them down because there expensive ".
A CZ doesn't have that toy feeling about them.
They do hold up well and work land and saltwater wet sand.
Really deep and accurate,if they would ad target I.d numbers,wow.
Try taking a single freq.machine to the beach,cz's will work some really screwed up ground.

Actually I already own a 20 year old CZ5 but lets face it, the detector probably has a limited time left. That was why I was originally interested some time ago in the CZ3D but isn't of the same caliber of the old Los Banos line unless it is the 1021 series CZ3D. The CZ5 will be kept until its lifespan has run out but the Makro Racer is now at the top of my list now...Thanks for your response...

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$800.00 for cz3d is less than other top of the line machines and more versital.

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still use and like my CZ 7a pro. I am told the displays and other parts are no longer available if it breaks. I have a number of machines that Woof has had a hand in designing. I enjoy them all. To get back to the original post multi frequency machines cost more to develop and build. You want a car with two engines? OK, it's gonna cost ya.

On the F-5 push button issue, I think the push switch is connected to a counter. If you push it more than say 10 times hoping for it to do something, the machine goes into dummy mode to try to help the operator. Very considerate. Another possibility is the supplier of the switches made them a good deal on a part that they already had. It is capable of doing more than needed, but because it is already manufactured, it costs less than building a switch without that feature. Both of these are just guesses, but I wouldn't push it more than say 20 times just in case it is wired to something that could say, surprise you.

If it really isn't doing anything you could wire it up to a recording. Something like, No I haven't found anything of value yet, that is why I am still looking. Or maybe friend can you help me find my keys? Maybe can you spare and old man like me some pocket change, or I am trying to raise money for a hemorrhoid operation, can you see it in your heart to help me out?

You probably don't enjoy my humor as much as I do.

Last edited:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newfiehunter,

I wouldn't be too concerned about "newer" CZ3Ds being in any way inferior to the older ones, mine is an 07 model and it hits the dime at 10-11 inches, just as the old ones do. It maybe there was a "bad" one and the story spread. You certainly can't believe everything you hear, a lot of bad information gets repeated.

I'd say if you wanted one to go ahead and get one, like you mentioned farther up this thread that it might get discontinued, as has happened to many other models. As far as the Racer goes, well I watched a couple of videos when it first came out, and those "testers" whom at least some of those got free detectors said how great it was, but funny thing is after making the video, and bragging it (Makro Racer) up they put them up for sale on these forums. That does not make any sense. The Racer is the one I'd avoid.

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, i've been using the fisher cz's for yrs and recently got a cz3d...very nice machine...it's not just about technology...I opened my 1236-x2 recently becuz the speaker quit and I wanted to see if it was a loose speaker wire or bad speaker. (It was the cutoff contact in the phono plug being stuck, resolved with wd-40) man what a nice circuit. All low noise surface mount, close tolerance parts, only 2 electrolytics, a 47 and 470, (electrolytics can change value over many yrs due to the semi-liquid electrolyte drying out) which I considered changing with 105c's but saw they were surface mount and good quality, and a mass of exclusively wima metal film caps...nearly top of the line, stable caps...not the absolute, top of the line best, but no manufacturer is going to use 22 caps that cost $16 each. They're German and they're superior type and quality. Nice.
Then there's the half dozen proprietary ic chips, i'm guessing the manufacturer, maybe texas instruments, made them to order for Fisher by miniturizing them, they're quite small for similar type chips. Size is obviously important for a metal detector. All this says "expensive to manufacture".
Then there's the engineering and science/art that goes into designing for analysis of the return signal bouncing back thru the mineralized fog. It's probably an order harder than just redesigning a new tv or stereo. That's just flat basic engineering, making an old, established circuit do the same or more using less parts with no loss of reliability. Save manufacturing costs. An engineer's job description.
Metal detectors seem to have some different priorities.
The way I see it, detectors aren't over-priced. A decent, high end stereo preamp will cost $1200, and that's a modest one, then you must buy a tuner, power amp, and speakers.
If I weren't an unemployed backyard electronic hobbyist i'd buy a sencore o-scope or z meter, common items, more expensive than a metal detector.
Metal detectors are electronic instruments, designed for precision operation and rugged reliabilty, tv's, stereos and test instruments don't get tossed around all day.
And of course, life is short and it's your hobby, your pleasure, your time for you...a bad day fishing is better than a good day.....
Enjoy the hobby.

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, i've been using the fisher cz's for yrs and recently got a cz3d...very nice machine...it's not just about technology...I opened my 1236-x2 recently becuz the speaker quit and I wanted to see if it was a loose speaker wire or bad speaker. (It was the cutoff contact in the phono plug being stuck, resolved with wd-40) man what a nice circuit. All low noise surface mount, close tolerance parts, only 2 electrolytics, a 47 and 470, (electrolytics can change value over many yrs due to the semi-liquid electrolyte drying out) which I considered changing with 105c's but saw they were surface mount and good quality, and a mass of exclusively wima metal film caps...nearly top of the line, stable caps...not the absolute, top of the line best, but no manufacturer is going to use 22 caps that cost $16 each. They're German and they're superior type and quality. Nice.
Then there's the half dozen proprietary ic chips, i'm guessing the manufacturer, maybe texas instruments, made them to order for Fisher by miniturizing them, they're quite small for similar type chips. Size is obviously important for a metal detector. All this says "expensive to manufacture".
Then there's the engineering and science/art that goes into designing for analysis of the return signal bouncing back thru the mineralized fog. It's probably an order harder than just redesigning a new tv or stereo. That's just flat basic engineering, making an old, established circuit do the same or more using less parts with no loss of reliability. Save manufacturing costs. An engineer's job description.
Metal detectors seem to have some different priorities.
The way I see it, detectors aren't over-priced. A decent, high end stereo preamp will cost $1200, and that's a modest one, then you must buy a tuner, power amp, and speakers.
If I weren't an unemployed backyard electronic hobbyist i'd buy a sencore o-scope or z meter, common items, more expensive than a metal detector.
Metal detectors are electronic instruments, designed for precision operation and rugged reliabilty, tv's, stereos and test instruments don't get tossed around all day.
And of course, life is short and it's your hobby, your pleasure, your time for you...a bad day fishing is better than a good day.....
Enjoy the hobby.

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike.." Clearly this is not a non functioning knob or Fisher would have replaced it with a single function knob that is like the rest of the knobs on the machine after the first generation. To say it is non functional and to continue to put a more expensive multi-function knob that does nothing is either a bad business decision, or has a function the company doesn't want the consumer to know about."

I had an apartment in Doylestown Pa. once that had a wall switch in the livingroom that didn't seem to control anything.
Just for the heck of it I'd often flip it when I left or entered.
Then one day I got a call from some woman in Oregon. She just said "Cut it out".

Last edited:

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't see the cz3d as expensive,it's actually the best bargain out there. Killer on deep old coins,works great in iron,test and see.
Handles bad dirt better than any,emi immune and the best on the beach and built like a tank. Other machines are over priced compared to the cz3d.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see the cz3d as expensive,it's actually the best bargain out there. Killer on deep old coins,works great in iron,test and see.
Handles bad dirt better than any,emi immune and the best on the beach and built like a tank. Other machines are over priced compared to the cz3d.

I totally agree Supertrak
This machine gets the depth of others costing twice as much, and has the ability to deal with salt, heavy minerals.
A bargin really.

lunatunes

Greenie
Aug 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like I said I want to know why my machine has a button that apparently does nothing? Being told it is none of my business is not much of an answer.

I have read this whole thread and just have to comment:
Mikeraydj, you have done "nothing" wrong by asking and wondering about
your question or continuing to ask, and having owned a business for almost
25 years, I have to say that the responses by woof and how he
has handled this is pretty borderline bizarre, wierd....what ever you want to
call it. Just my perspective.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

This. Its as good as any other beach machine out there excluding PIs and does just as well on land. The reason I went CZ21 is that I needed waterproof and only hunt on the beach.

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, it really goes deep and very stable, really good on bronze coins.

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
They stopped making the CZ5 more than a few years ago. And if its obsolete tech why are you thinking of buying it? Because its not obsolete and its proven with a good sized following for a very good reason. Its a durable deep seeking detector that uses two frequencies, how many multi freq machines are cheaper?
What I'm saying is for a detector that has been on the market for close to 20 years being they only changed the name from CZ5 or 6 to the CZ 3D and if the "older technology" is obsolete then it shouldn't be really that expensive. I remember when they discontinued the CZ5, you could get it for about $500-$600. That was a few years ago, mind you. There is basically no difference between the CZ5 and CZ3D, so what justifies the price if the technology is that old.

oneton

Jul 24, 2006
LOUISIANA
Not a concern to customers

Once i read this thread several years ago i stopped purchasing detectors from first texas bountyfisher. I look at it like i spent my hard earned money with a company and a button on this detector is none of my bees wax. I own this detector and everything on this detector is my bees wax.Once i read this thread years ago i made sure first texas lost 2 of my future sales.I know they do not care because they say its not any of my bees wax and this is fine but they still lost over $1000$ of my money. I wish more people would work the way i do.Then maybe they will start making products that we pay for more of our bees wax.Smart as! get no where in my book.
Bravo! Still aren't answering my questions, but it is good theater. Don't know how trying to squash a customer because you don't like the question accomplishes anything but hey, maybe that is the First Texas way. Now we all know why they keep the geeky engineer guys in the back, away from the customers. Oh and Dave, apparently it does concern the customer as I am one. Just between you and me, I don't think you want to put on your resume that you are a designer of metal detectors that have buttons that do nothing. If so, were you the lead designer on this project too? And I have a dozen questions about the dousing rod that I am sure you could answer.

View attachment 1096483

P.S My hats are off to the mods. I am surprised you haven't had me kicked by now. :hello2:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Funny thing. This is an eight year old thread - and in all that time plus some I have been happily using my "First Texas Fisher" F-75 that I have happily sent back twice for upgrades to keep it up-to-date. I like Fisher and have no plans to replace mine.

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Multi frequency

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread