Why is the CZ3D so expensive?

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CZ's have always been expensive to manufacture.

--Dave J.

So what is the CZ any different from any other detector? They still use the same kind of ciruit boards etc as other the other brands.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your buying new, your going to pay the new price, check out what they sell for used.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I'm saying is for a detector that has been on the market for close to 20 years being they only changed the name from CZ5 or 6 to the CZ 3D and if the "older technology" is obsolete then it shouldn't be really that expensive. I remember when they discontinued the CZ5, you could get it for about $500-$600. That was a few years ago, mind you. There is basically no difference between the CZ5 and CZ3D, so what justifies the price if the technology is that old.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would venture to say Fisher sets the price based on what the buyer is willing to pay.. why are cars over 25k....? They must have enough people buying them at that price to justiy the price...........
.....$

Last edited:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi
I started selling Fisher in the 90s and in 92/93/94 the Fisher CZ6-a sold for over 900.00 dollars and they sold very well
Gary

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi
I started selling Fisher in the 90s and in 92/93/94 the Fisher CZ6-a sold for over 900.00 dollars and they sold very well
Gary

Yes, but back then that was considered the new technology of the time and the CZ series was their Flagship detectors. The prices dropped after that. I spoke to a dealer recently and he told me that nobody buys the CZ 3D anymore and during a one year period he has only sold only sold 1 or 2 of them. He suspects the CZ3D will be discontinued soon. He also stated the Garrett AT Pro is so popular he can't keep them in stock...The 1270X is being discontinued. Fisher is probably making way for a new machine and want to focus on the F series, which unfortunately is probably inferior to the CZ series. Remember, how many analog detectors are on the market now with visual id? They are all digital which it seems like everyone nowadays want. Most would consider the CZ3D obsolete which is why sales are not high. Personally, I think Fisher should have improved the CZ series line rather than discontinue it.

Last edited:

able_walker

Jun 25, 2007
Older doesn't necessarily mean "cheaper"...You can get new Tube guitar Amplifiers these days and you pay a premium.Cheers.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It may be older technology, but it works. As was stated above, some people are willing to pay the price tag. And that's what drives the value.

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
Newfie, if you don't think a CZ is worth the price, don't buy it. This is real simple.

--Dave J.

How can one recommend a Fisher product, after purchasing a CZ-3D at full price + freight, assemble the unit and find it do NOT work.
P5105892_600.jpg

ivanll

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think I've seen but 1 or 2 people that use the CZ-3D...I don't think it's a stellar seller.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it's sad to see the direction Fisher went....The Los Banos Fishers were great. What do you get now? Noisy, flimsy, plastic crap that look and feel like toys.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Newfie, if you don't think a CZ is worth the price, don't buy it. This is real simple.

--Dave J.

Actually, I paid that much ($800) for my CZ5 back when I first purchased it back in the 90's. To me, if the technology isn't keeping up with the times, I just thought the price would be cheaper. However, as Coinstriking Michigan just stated you don't see too many people swinging CZ3D and what worries me as another member just stated is the quality as good as the old Fishers before being bought by First Texas?...He bought one that didn't work, brand new!! I just want to get the best bang for my buck...I do like the CZs. If you check out the Youtube vidoes, it seems like the CZ3D is not a bad machine..

BTW Dave (aka Woof)...I was just asking a legitmate question...If you don't like it, don't insult another member...

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Newfie, if the bottom line is that you want to save a buck (no objection to that, my ancestors were mostly Scots), you could try offering a dealer $700 and see what happens, you might luck out. Or you could get a used one.

Older technology isn't necessarily cheaper than newer, and that is particularly the case with electronics which unlike (for instance) automobiles is driven by Moore's Law. When I was a kid I bought a really nice all-band (and all-analog) portable radio for $30. They don't make 'em like that any more because to do so it'd have to sell for about $200 and nobody would pay it, not even me.

By the way, that "old Fisher, new Fisher" Internet mythology you see bandied about on forums is mostly fiction. But, people believe what they want. In the end it doesn't even matter, because there is no "old Fisher" any more. It self-destructed.

If it weren't for the "new Fisher" we wouldn't even be having this conversation. And if I hadn't engineered the CZ-5, we wouldn't be having it either.

--Dave J.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Newfie, if the bottom line is that you want to save a buck (no objection to that, my ancestors were mostly Scots), you could try offering a dealer $700 and see what happens, you might luck out. Or you could get a used one.

Older technology isn't necessarily cheaper than newer, and that is particularly the case with electronics which unlike (for instance) automobiles is driven by Moore's Law. When I was a kid I bought a really nice all-band (and all-analog) portable radio for $30. They don't make 'em like that any more because to do so it'd have to sell for about $200 and nobody would pay it, not even me.

By the way, that "old Fisher, new Fisher" Internet mythology you see bandied about on forums is mostly fiction. But, people believe what they want. In the end it doesn't even matter, because there is no "old Fisher" any more. It self-destructed.

If it weren't for the "new Fisher" we wouldn't even be having this conversation. And if I hadn't engineered the CZ-5, we wouldn't be having it either.

--Dave J.

Dave J

You actually engineered the CZ5? Now you have my utmost respect and apologies! I've had that machine for a long time and it has given me many great finds over the years. Know it like the back of my hand...You made a great product. So let me ask you this...I am considering purchasing the CZ3D before it is discontinued. Is this unit the same or better than the CZ5? That is the reason why I am cautious about purchasing it and because it is produced by First Texas. Sad to see the original Fisher self destruct...Thanks and my apologies.

Last edited:

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
The 3D is virtually the same thing as the 5, except there's a minor difference in how the nonferrous categories are scaled. Someone else here can probably explain it better than I can.

I left Fisher in '95 because I could see it was headed downhill with no plan to fix it. When I returned to take a look at the place before we bought it in (as I recall) 2007 I was shocked at what I saw, both physically and the accounting data. I told the boss we shouldn't take it even if it was free, but he thought some aspects of it were salvageable and in the long run he was proven right.

Among the things we didn't know at the time, was that after I left they'd decided the CZ calibration procedure was too time-consuming, so they developed a shortcut method that could sorta fake it as long as you didn't actually test the unit afterwards. When we brought manufacturing to El Paso, we didn't know they'd abandoned the correct procedure and therefore the new people received the wrong training. It took us a while to discover what had happened. I dredged the original procedure out of the files and we went back to that with some very minor changes.

What most people don't know is that the "old Fisher" had been shipping them improperly calibrated for years, as best I can figure probably close to a decade. It was the "old Fisher" that created a nice little side business for Dankowski, who was deeply enough involved in the CZ3D revision to figure out how CZ's should be calibrated.

There were numerous other things that happened at the "old Fisher", involving CZ's and other products, which we inherited and took some time to discover. The "shortcut" CZ calibration procedure was just one example.

When people post that the "old Fisher" was this great company that did everything right, and then First Texas bought it and screwed everything up, they simply don't know what they're talking about. The "old Fisher" was losing a million dollars a year on $7 mil revenue-- and their sales were falling off a cliff because dealers didn't want the product any more. That's what the "old Fisher" had become.

Fortunately there were several products worth saving, and several people who were "keepers".

--Dave J.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was very enlightening. :notworthy: Thanks for that information Dave J. I guess it is better for everyone including myself to know the facts and the details before making comments regarding that matter.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread