Fisher 1265x

DanTheNewbie

Apr 19, 2012
Central connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ve been detecting for a few months now and am using a low end bounty hunter, didn't want to go big and then find out I didn't enjoy it. Well I have a chance to get a hold of a 1265x was wondering if it would out perform the newer bounty hunter I have, I've read there deep seeking and you can switch between discs, anyone on here ever own one? Is it decent, deep ect. Any info would help, thank you!!

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im not sure but i know there are alot of people on here that do so give it a lil time and you will get your answer

treasure diver

Mar 17, 2006
eastern KY.
I have one & is a great detector, I used it all the time until all these 2 & 3 pounders came out. I now use a AT Pro. I had my 1265 converted for a hip mount. I just had the batt pack held on to the control houseing with rubber bands, but it works great. I like the AT Pro becase I hunt in the water alot. The 1265 is a good relic detector & deep seeking.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If working right it will be way deeper than your Bounty Hunter. It was the follow up to the best selling Fisher 1260 that pioneered normal speed motion detectors. Before discrimination relied on either whipping the coil or later a faster than normal sweep speed was needed. The 1260 got it right but did lack a little in depth. The 1265 provided the depth to keep up with even many of the modern detectors on the market.

Weight is around 3.9lbs with the stock 8" coil. Many really liked the dual discrimination feature which Tesoro couldn't see the point of but then copied some years later with the Tejon. In some ways it was better than the 1266 that followed that had increased depth but the discrimination didn't keep up.

You could get some nice smaller coils, sniper ? for really getting between rubbish and a five inch. Only problem is going to be does it still provide the depth it should as its going to be really old now and componants do start to fail over time. They are noisier than many modern detectors so you have to be prepared to use your ears and good headphones and listen to what its telling you. If you can compare against your present detector and its not as deep then it needs a service and I suppose that means a third party repairer as Fisher is no longer the original Fisher.

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U.K. Brian said:
If working right it will be way deeper than your Bounty Hunter. It was the follow up to the best selling Fisher 1260 that pioneered normal speed motion detectors. Before discrimination relied on either whipping the coil or later a faster than normal sweep speed was needed. The 1260 got it right but did lack a little in depth. The 1265 provided the depth to keep up with even many of the modern detectors on the market.

Weight is around 3.9lbs with the stock 8" coil. Many really liked the dual discrimination feature which Tesoro couldn't see the point of but then copied some years later with the Tejon. In some ways it was better than the 1266 that followed that had increased depth but the discrimination didn't keep up.

You could get some nice smaller coils, sniper ? for really getting between rubbish and a five inch. Only problem is going to be does it still provide the depth it should as its going to be really old now and componants do start to fail over time. They are noisier than many modern detectors so you have to be prepared to use your ears and good headphones and listen to what its telling you. If you can compare against your present detector and its not as deep then it needs a service and I suppose that means a third party repairer as Fisher is no longer the original Fisher.

What an informative post! Lots of great info and advice!

dirtfisher

May 10, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster GT, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, HF9F Metal Detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to own one, I must say I really enjoyed that machine. It was EXTREMELY sensitive to small objects. It could find a fragment of a paperclip no problem lol. In my experience with it, it seemed to have really good depth for it's day. I use to take it relic hunting with me all the time but did not feel that this detector really shined in that area. It was more of a good coin shooter for me. It would pick up every stinking piece of nail and Iron that was out there. That machine LOVED Iron. And it was great for Iron relics. However, if you wanted to knock out the Iron and still get the good stuff you could forget it. You would have to set the discrimination way up to knock it out. Then there went your buttons, minnie balls, and everything else worth value. So you had to keep the discrimination down and dig everything. For me it was more of a pain in the A$$. I use a Tesoro Cibola now for relic hunting and it finds all the goodies while blocking out that pesky iron not to mention it was at least 4 more inches deeper than the 1265x. To each their own I guess. But I hated it for relic hunting.

erdin

Greenie
Sep 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was using my 1265 the other day on the beach. It doesn't like wet sand but boy does it go deep, I dug up a peace of iron that was about 14" deep:laughing1::laughing1: it also likes the British coins too.:) My brother uses a white's coinmaster and the 1265 wipes the floor with it!! in terms of more finds and depth I always find more:laughing7:. Its also seems to be more sensitive to small bits of gold then the coinmaster. I have a fisher cz20 which is being upgraded to a cz21 so i will compare it to this too, just for the sake of comparing with a more modern machine, of course the CZ21 is for the wet! but it can also be used on the dry LOL and its a good comparison.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I still have the 1260X. And I'll be loaning that to a buddy tomorrow to initiate him into the hobby. The greatest feature of that line of detectors was the ability to hunt in heavily mineralized soil where my Garrett couldn't go. As for depth, I dug silver dimes at 10" with it. I've praised the 1260X in many posts here, love it! And this is after 30 years of ownership!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread