Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Jan 2009
    6 times

Thinking of upgrading

Hi all,
    I currently have an F2 with the 4 and 8 inch coils. Found a ring a couple of coins in the limited time I've had to hunt. I like the machine, though I find the controls a little frustrating sometimes. I also noticed that the F2 is now being sold with an 11" DD coil. Questions: What will an 11" coil do for me on an F2? Also, are the F70/75 easier to use and how much deeper will they detect at?

Thanks,
    Glenn
    R.I.P. Rich Hartford

us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
    3969 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    If the F2 controls confuse you the upgrades will confuse you more. Because the higher end detectors have ground balance they will detect deeper in bad ground than the F2 with the same size coil. Larger coils not only reach deeper, they cover more volume of dirt per sweep. Tesoro just anounced a new detector that you should study called the Outlaw. You might like it better.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

Jun 2007
    MA NH seacoast
    what ever works
    65 times
    The 11 DD is a great coil but as a bigger coil it means more targets and trash under the coil on each pass.
    I would stick with the smaller coils untill you feel good with what you have .

us
    Jan 2009
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    If the F2 controls confuse you the upgrades will confuse you more. Because the higher end detectors have ground balance they will detect deeper in bad ground than the F2 with the same size coil. Larger coils not only reach deeper, they cover more volume of dirt per sweep. Tesoro just anounced a new detector that you should study called the Outlaw. You might like it better.
    Not confusing, just frustrating. How much deeper would it detect a dime sized target?

The Outlaw looks nice.
    Last edited by WormtownFJR; May 18, 2012 at 02:40 PM.
    R.I.P. Rich Hartford

us
    Jul 2003
    Elgin
    Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
    55 times
    Can't speak for the depth of an F75. My F70 can read a dime down to 7" pretty well, 8" or so on a quarter. If you can reach 7" deep with your F2 on a dime then stick with it. Not air tests, actual dug coinage. So the question is what type of ground do you hunt? Do you trust what your machine is telling you in the ground where you hunt? At what depth do targets become "iffy" and how many of those iffy signals have you recovered to satisfy your curiosity?

I love my F70 despite it's apparent lack of depth because in my experience it finds those shallow old coins that have been overlooked by "better" machines with bigger coils. It's a machine that's easy to trust.

I can tell you about a hunt where a lot of machines were involved, all the top end Whites, Minelabs and Fishers over a couple days. Because of the ground conditions no one dug anything deeper than 4" or so. Couldn't get a good read because of the intense level of iron and other trash. I'm betting that your F2 would have been on par with everyone at that hunt.

us
    Big Boys Hobbies

Jul 2005
    Moore Oklahoma
    Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
    688 times
    Metal Detecting
    Glenn is you still have questions or looking for a great deal feel free to call me and bend my ear!

Contact us for fastest and best service around!

We will beat any price or deal. Have questions on a machine?
    Bart@BigBoysHobbies.net or Call or text 405-206-9010
    Minelab Metal Detectors, Whites Metal Detectors, Garrett Metal Detectors, XP Deus, Fisher Metal Detectors, Teknetics Metal Detectors

Minelab Partner of the year award for the USA 2012. Minelab Customer service award 2012 and 2013.

Sponsored Links