Has the CZ3D been discontinued?

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A great way to find out is to contact either a local Fisher dealer or a forum sponsor who is a Fisher dealer.

--Dave J.

Actually, I did talk to a Fisher Dealer and he told me that he wouldn't know until he couldn't get them from Fisher anymore. Just thought I 'd ask on this forum to see if anyone who would know for sure.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I have read the new CZ3D's do not air test anywhere near as good as the older model 1021's. I was seriously considering getting one until I read that. You can send them to NASA Tom to get peaked and certified, but once you add that extra expense, you might as well get something else. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I have read the new CZ3D's do not air test anywhere near as good as the older model 1021's. I was seriously considering getting one until I read that. You can send them to NASA Tom to get peaked and certified, but once you add that extra expense, you might as well get something else. Just my opinion.

I haven't heard that, but if it is true, I would reconsider buying the CZ 3D. I've seen videos on Youtube and it seemed like a good machine. Here is one and the depth is excellent.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, if you listen to the guy in the video that is an older model 1021 tuned by NASA Tom, not a newer First Texas one.

NEBeachcomber

Jan 23, 2006
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, CZ6a, CZ21
Minelab Sovereign GT
Newfiehunter...

Thanks for taking the time to post your video.
I have an 1121 CZ3D that was tuned by Tom and I have to agree with your findings.
A properly tuned CZ3D is real hard to beat in the field.

-NEBeachcomber

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Newfiehunter...

Thanks for taking the time to post your video.
I have an 1121 CZ3D that was tuned by Tom and I have to agree with your findings.
A properly tuned CZ3D is real hard to beat in the field.

-NEBeachcomber

Thanks for the info Rainyday and NEBeachcomber. I just hope my CZ5 can last another 10 years! Out of curiosity, how much does it cost to get it re-calibrated by Nasa Tom? If it isn't too expensive, I may consider that route. And why is it First Texas doesn't have them calibrated properly in the first place? You would think that their engineers would have it done beforehand. This is just another reason why I am apprehensive about going with another Fisher from First Texas. Glad you guys let me in on that important piece of information before making the purchase. Thanks.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just guessing...... Instead of peaking each detector for optimum performance it is easier to tune it within an acceptable window. The size of the window could be pretty wide. Tuning to within a window is cheaper and faster instead of trying to get the max out of each detector. Also component vendors could have changed and obsolete parts may have been replaced with newer or cheaper ones with tolerances that are not as good. On NASA Tom's site you can find more info on this. If you really like the analog machines why not consider a Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon, or Outlaw?

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Almost forgot..... On that big auction site you can often find a model 1021 NASA Tom tuned. You can call or email Tom and he will verify that he tuned it, what it tested at, and if any repairs were made. These on auction often go for top dollar though as they are pretty popular.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just guessing...... Instead of peaking each detector for optimum performance it is easier to tune it within an acceptable window. The size of the window could be pretty wide. Tuning to within a window is cheaper and faster instead of trying to get the max out of each detector. Also component vendors could have changed and obsolete parts may have been replaced with newer or cheaper ones with tolerances that are not as good. On NASA Tom's site you can find more info on this. If you really like the analog machines why not consider a Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon, or Outlaw?

Thanks again Rainyday! Actually I do have a Vaquero which is a backup to my CZ5. After using my old reliable CZ 5 for so long, it is difficult to switch to another machine since I know it so well. I'll check out Nasa Tom's website.

NEBeachcomber

Jan 23, 2006
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, CZ6a, CZ21
Minelab Sovereign GT
Newfiehunter...

I have owned a CZ detector (in one form or another) since the mid 90's and I have had to send only one CZ6a back to Fisher for a new pinpoint button. As you already know the CZ detectors are built like tanks, leading me to believe that you have many more years of good service left in your CZ5. Now, if your like me you can always purchase a spare CZ or two as insurance (or investment) for the coming years.

In response to your question about Fisher's tuning of their CZ3D detectors... I suspect that the Fisher Technicians tune their detectors to a "universal setting" so that they work anywhere in the world... properly with no issues.

I believe I have heard or read somewhere that there were twenty-one steps needed to properly tune a CZ detector. As a result, this would take many man hours and undoubtedly raise the price of a metal detector that has it's sales waning. With today's metal detector market jumping head long into digital technology I think Fisher Labs is trying to manufacture a CZ detector that will please the majority of the people while keeping their production costs down.

Along the lines of my wanting a deep seeking detector... I sent my CZ3D to "Tom D" for tuning and calibration. Tom tuned my CZ3D for peak performance in his low mineralized Florida soil. (My CZ3D is an 1121 series, which was manufactured after the highly sought 1021 series.) Along with Tom tuning my CZ3D for peak performance, he also verified that certain "old" coins which normally read in the medium-tone range on standard CZ detectors... would now correctly read in the hi-tone range (good target) when detected. Tom also calibrated the "nickel" window on my CZ3D so that a larger percentage of nickels (if not all nickels) correctly ID'ed in the nickel range on the CZ meter when the search coil passed over them.

If you have decided against purchasing a CZ3D... Tom also offers the option of tuning your present CZ5 to CZ3D specifications (less the fourth tone found on the CZ3D).

It's been a while since I had my CZ3D worked on by Tom, so I am going to suggest that you contact him directly for his prices. In my opinion... I have found that his prices are reasonable, his turn around time is quick, and his work is worth the price that he charges.

If you need the URL for "Tom D's" web site... send me an email or a PM on this site.

-NEBeachcomber

Last edited:
OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Newfiehunter...

I have owned a CZ detector (in one form or another) since the mid 90's and I have had to send only one CZ6a back to Fisher for a new pinpoint button. As you already know the CZ detectors are built like tanks, leading me to believe that you have many more years of good service left in your CZ5. Now, if your like me you can always purchase a spare CZ or two as insurance (or investment) for the coming years.

In response to your question about Fisher's tuning of their CZ3D detectors... I suspect that the Fisher Technicians tune their detectors to a "universal setting" so that they work anywhere in the world... properly with no issues.

I believe I have heard or read somewhere that there were twenty-one steps needed to properly tune a CZ detector. As a result, this would take many man hours and undoubtedly raise the price of a metal detector that has it's sales waning. With today's metal detector market jumping head long into digital technology I think Fisher Labs is trying to manufacture a CZ detector that will please the majority of the people while keeping their production costs down.

Along the lines of my wanting a deep seeking detector... I sent my CZ3D to "Tom D" for tuning and calibration. Tom tuned my CZ3D for peak performance in his low mineralized Florida soil. (My CZ3D is an 1121 series, which was manufactured after the highly sought 1021 series.) Along with Tom tuning my CZ3D for peak performance, he also verified that certain "old" coins which normally read in the medium-tone range on standard CZ detectors... would now correctly read in the hi-tone range (good target) when detected. Tom also calibrated the "nickel" window on my CZ3D so that a larger percentage of nickels (if not all nickels) correctly ID'ed in the nickel range on the CZ meter when the search coil passed over them.

If you have decided against purchasing a CZ3D... Tom also offers the option of tuning your present CZ5 to CZ3D specifications (less the fourth tone found on the CZ3D).

It's been a while since I had my CZ3D worked on by Tom, so I am going to suggest that you contact him directly for his prices. In my opinion... I have found that his prices are reasonable, his turn around time is quick, and his work is worth the price that he charges.

If you need the URL for "Tom D's" web site... send me an email or a PM on this site.

-NEBeachcomber

Like yourself, NEBeachcomber, I am a big CZ fan. As you said, they are built like tanks and from what I've seen the newer Fisher machines look fragile. Not sure how they compare to the CZs in terms of depth, etc . I miss the old Fisher machines CZs and the X series, before they were bought out by First Texas.

The reason why I wanted the CZ3D is because I have the extra 5 inch and 10 inch coils. I think they are an underestimated machine because they are not digital, like the newer detectors out there. But if you see the depth on it...it is awesome!!

Thanks again for the info!

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the CZ3D's came tuned to NASA Tom's specs. right from the factory, I would buy one tomorrow! After watching videos of tuned ones getting the depth they get, I am just amazed. A machine that good doesn't need a digital display. A digital display just makes decisions based on conductivity of the target. They can be fooled fairly often. Your ear is better than a digital display and a lot harder to fool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread