Need help with a Fisher gold bug pro.....please.

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I set mine to 30-35.. to get rid of the crap.. sadly i still dig some crap lol.. gl.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
33 to 34 to block out nails (and the like)

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I frun high gain, disc at 4, on jewelry mode, but sens turned way down. Sounds funny but it works for me.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I frun high gain, disc at 4, on jewelry mode, but sens turned way down. Sounds funny but it works for me.

There is no "jewelry mode" OR "disc 4" on a Gold Bug Pro

sounds like you're talking about a Gold Bug 2 which is a whole different machine and nothing like the GBP (not even close).

OP
OP
tennessee digger

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.

Toysandthings

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2013
Wollongong
Detector(s) used
Cscope 4pi. Goldbug DP, Bounty Hunter tracker IV, Pioneer 505, Mini Pulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In testing with a 2.3g nugget. At 3.5inches in mineralised soil it comes in at the very low end of the scale 1-20. So do not discrim at all.
Then as u get closer at 3 inches and at 2 it comes in at 30+then 40 to 50+.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Generally, I set my GBP at 40, in discrim. mode. I have little experience in the All Metal Mode, since I hunt parks mostly, the targets are <8" in depth.
So, my recommendation is to pay close attention to the sounds you get, as they may tell you that you've moved into changing soil, and a re-ground balance is needed, in order to get accurate target i.d.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no "jewelry mode" OR "disc 4" on a Gold Bug Pro

sounds like you're talking about a Gold Bug 2 which is a whole different machine and nothing like the GBP (not even close).

I was giving a setting he could try. I do not own a Gold Bug Pro. But my comment should have have said barely crack her on, high gain mode, no discrimination if he is able. Good Luck.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trick to running a Gold Bug Pro (which is also a G2 just different rod config) for max depth/results in "disc" mode

is 1st to make sure it's ground balanced correctly (and to re-bal every so often)

2: to run your disc. at the point of just blocking out nails and tiny iron bits but leaving some left for the DEEP old coins that will sound like iron but be discriminated out if you're running too high (like anything above 35) -- you'll know when it's something deep and something not disc'ed out so it may be worth investigating - it may hit high one way and low the other

and 3: to run your sens as high as you can to get max depth

most places I use mine - I can run wide open sens and run at 33/34 disc

I don't use it in parks - it's not the best machine for park hunting but if it's all you have - it will work - it's the aluminum/trash more than anything as to the reason it's not the best in most parks because of being a 2 tone machine

iron infested sites are where it excels or anywhere there is very little aluminum/trash (pre 1950s sites) that haven't been used since back then

IF it were a 3 tone machine - there'd be no stopping it! In low to moderately mineralized soils - NOTHING on the market currently can beat it except the 2 top dogs (XP Deus and CTX 3030) with the Vista Gold coming in about equal to it except no VID so that's questionable and the Vista Smart and AT Pro coming in under it.

Here's what you can find in MASSIVELY iron infested sites with the Gold Bug Pro but where no other machines (except the ones mentioned above) would ever have a hope of being able to hunt in! Forget V3i's or E-Tracs/Explorers/Sovereigns or MXT's or any of the others many own - they wouldn't stand a chance in the iron I hunt in - they would shut down/null out and be totally useless.

click to see the finds >>>> http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/finds-michigan/351436-nooooo-not-another-park-finds-post.html

learn to listen to the talk of that machine and for the deep soft grunts and you'll be pulling some fantastic finds!

HH :skullflag:

Last edited:
OP
OP
tennessee digger

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Thanks Lonewolfe, I'll pass along your info.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well, I put mine at 47 in city parks - still not going to miss anything good. I've found two gold rings and other gilded objects.
Anytime you start getting mid-range stuff, slow down, and try the object from different angles, and when in doubt, dig it out!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I was giving a setting he could try. I do not own a Gold Bug Pro. But my comment should have have said barely crack her on, high gain mode, no discrimination if he is able. Good Luck.
If it don't have those setting's on it how could he try them ??????????

OP
OP
tennessee digger

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all of your help, I really appreciate it.

OP
OP
tennessee digger

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Lonewolfe....quick question for you...when you said to listen for the deep soft grunts, I thought that they were either nails or small iron. I ended up buying a GB Pro also and I'm running the disc. at 35 and digging only the high tones although I find that I can get a 75 or 80 on the meter and it will be a horse shoe or big piece of waded up aluminum foil. I appreciate your insight on this machine as I'm just starting to learn it but I have a long ways to go. Please tell me about the soft grunts if you will...thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread