Fisher f2 coils

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys! I have a fisher f2 metal detector and I have a pretty solid grasp on It by now. I really want to get into the deeper coins, but I am not sure if I can reach them with the stock coil. My question to you is whether the 11in. DD coil would enable my detector to go fairly deeper than it does with the stock 8in. Coil. It is a pretty expensive coil, and I don't want to shed money on something that isn't worth it. I am also open to other coil suggestions such as the 10in. Concentric, 12x13 SEF, and NEL tornado coils. Thanks so much in advance! :)
Crazy4coins

Last edited:

wkrp43

May 24, 2013
western NC
Detector(s) used
F2...BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure abt the coils. But was thinking abt gettin a f2. How do you like it?

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's the best detector in it's price range. It has super fast recovery and response speed and very respectable depth. It's also very easy to use and (obviously) has several different coil options. If you're looking for a beginner detector, I would also look at the tesoro silver umax and teknetics eurotek pro. All three detectors are fantastic!

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you :)

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Which whites machines have you owned?

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice!

Anyone else want to share their opinions?

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an F2, F5, and a F70.

Based upon the depths I've observed, putting a 11DD coil on an F2 won't make it an F5 or F70/F75. Putting a 11DD coil on the F5 won't make it a F70/F75.

To get a usable increase in depth, you need to move up to a detector you can ground balance. To increase further, a higher frequency does better.

My best guess to answer your question, you might see a couple more inches, maybe three if you add a bigger coil that costs almost as much as the detector.

I've done it, buying an expensive coil to be disappointed, I'm not doing it again. I've done well buying used detectors, so that's another consideration in moving up.
fwiw

Last edited:

F2 Hunter 28146

May 22, 2013
Rockwell, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 "Limited" CAMO - Fisher F5 (with Standard Coil) - Fisher F2 (10" coil) - & a Radio Shack "Treasure Finder" Metal Detector!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This past weekend my daughter and I took our Fisher F2's out to a local park near where we live. She had her F2 with a 4" sniper coil & I had my F2 with the 10" concentric coil. I really didn't expect to see much of a difference in proformance between the two. I was amazed on how much more accurate the 4" coil was over my 10" coil that I mainly used for months now (basically because of size).

WOW..... she was detecting stuff that I had already searched over. I was like.... "WHOA, hang on!?" :censored:

I went back to search the exact spot she was, and I couldn't find it. So with that. I am beginning to wonder if I put the 4" coil on and go back to places I have already been I may find stuff I didn't find before.

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's really interesting... I've heard a lot of great things about the 4in coil.

F2 Hunter 28146

May 22, 2013
Rockwell, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 "Limited" CAMO - Fisher F5 (with Standard Coil) - Fisher F2 (10" coil) - & a Radio Shack "Treasure Finder" Metal Detector!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea it was crazy. I really didn't believe the hype everyone else was telling me about the 4" sniper coil. I figured they ALL worked pretty much the same.

BOY.... was I wrong. I wished I had a picture of my face when she went over that potential coin spot (it was ringing off a good tone) and I went back to see how I missed that. Only to see my 10" coil couldn't pick it up. Nada. Nothing. Silence. :BangHead:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Hey guys! I have a fisher f2 metal detector and I have a pretty solid grasp on It by now. I really want to get into the deeper coins, but I am not sure if I can reach them with the stock coil. My question to you is whether the 11in. DD coil would enable my detector to go fairly deeper than it does with the stock 8in. Coil. It is a pretty expensive coil, and I don't want to shed money on something that isn't worth it. I am also open to other coil suggestions such as he 10in. Concentric, 12x13 SEF, and NEL tornado coils. Thanks so much in advance! :)
Crazy4coins

My answer is try the 10" coil first.
Deeper than the 8", relatively cheap and easy to resell at a good price if you decide to go to another coil.

I bought the F2 as a take-on-vacation detector/backup about 3 years ago and it turned out this thing was so much fun, so easy to use and found me so much so easily it turned into one of, if not my main detector.
I also have a Vaquero and a Compadre and I rotate between the 3.
I have learned a ton about this great little unit, read all posts I come across about it and have written some pretty detailed posts about using it that have helped many others.
Because of what I have written about this one, (on other forums), the tips on using it and the insights I have learned and freely posted for others to learn from and the pictures of some of my great finds, I suspect I have sold many dozens of these for Fisher and have had several dozen new owners contact me or post that they made the decision to buy this great detector because of them, and have thanked me profusely.

Still learning, I try to do this on every hunt with any detector I use, but I do know a lot and this is what I have learned about coils.
The 8" is the one I used for close to 2 years and it found me a bunch, but out of all the coils available for me it seems to be the most susceptible to EMI.
Depth in good soil should be close to 8", and I have picked up solid dimes at 7-8" with mine in the past that were solid, repeatable and stable and were id'd correctly at this depth in the pinpoint numbers.

Many have used the 11"DD and have reported about 2" more in depth than the 8".
I have never used one because I have a large DD coil I use on my Vaquero, but the large area this kind of coil covers is fantastic, I don't feel like I miss much when using it, and have wide open areas to cover this coil gets the call.
In areas of heavier mineralization the DD coil should work a little better than the concentrics, but like most DD coils you will give up a little sharpness on the disc and some high end pop tops will react like dimes and quarters.

The 10" coil costs way less and I have acquired one for my F2.
Not a lot of time on it but I have discovered that it will give me a little more stable signals and numbers than the 8" coil on deeper targets, in my case seems to handle EMI better, (I usually hunt on max sense most of the time), and will actually go about those same extra 2" or so in depth over the 8" as the DD coil has been reported to do.
The 10" coil really shines in moist soil, however, and 2" or more is very common under these conditions.

I have read posts from owners that have mounted NEL and SEF coils on the F2 and have gotten some scary depth, and others that have not seen much of a difference at all.
A lot of this depends on your soil conditions but most of the time these will get you a little deeper.
My opinion on these more expensive coil is they are not for me, I would rather put my money into a deeper overall unit like an F70 or F75, which will not only get deeper with standard coils but ID deeper targets a little better, too, but that is me.

About a year ago I finally mounted my sniper coil and pretty soon after regretted not doing this much earlier.
Much easier to isolate all signals and especially in the very trashy sites I tend to target, and it has found me so much more volume of targets, and also so many more better quality targets that it is my prime coil on my F2 and rarely leaves the bottom shaft unless I am looking for more depth and I will put the 10" coil on at that point.
My 8" coil is all but retired, now, the 10" and sniper is all that I will use and the sniper is mounted 98% of the time.

Another thing that shocked me when using the sniper is how many more targets I found using it, not only at trashy sites but sites that were not so trashy and I was sure I cleaned up very efficiently using the larger coils and other detectors, too.
Masking is a much bigger problem than most believe, I think, and that sniper makes my hunted out sites like new again and like I said this was shocking to me.

I find a lot of great targets with all my detectors and the F2 is no different but what it has found for me in the last 12 months after I mounted the sniper coil is almost unbelievable.
All finds in this pic were with the F2 and sniper coil.

Site selection has a lot to do with these finds in the pic below, as does techniques I have learned to recognize and dig these great items, but the fact is since I put on that sniper I have found several very nice silver chains, lots of silver rings including some huge ones, clad galore but also some older coins including silver, and most importantly to me because I am a jewelry hunter 8 gold rings and a gold chain among some other great treasure.

Looking for deeper items and coins the bigger coils would be your choice, if you are on the prowl for jewelry or most other targets at about 6" or less in depth there is nothing better than the sniper, especially in all sites with a good amount of trash.

If anyone is brand new to the F2 and have that sniper coil available I now recommend that as the one all newbies should start with.
It is way easier to learn on this than the bigger coils because you will get way less jumping number behavior due to the fact you will not have so many multiple targets under that coil at the same time, and it is just easier to deal with and more stable than the standard and bigger coils as you are learning.

Attachments

• fffr.jpg
    fffr.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I got the F2 for my son for Xmas and sometimes I find myself using it instead of my xterra! Don't get me wrong I LOVE the Xterra, but the simplicity of this detector, depth and how light it is count for a lot! I would for sure buy the F2 again!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Thanks for all of your advice, guys!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you think about the stock coils on the most expensive fisher 'F' models, it is ALWAYS the 11" DD coil. It would really help with separation and should grab more depth, and more consistent depth in more mineralized ground. The increased detecting pattern of the DD is also a plus. Some say it's like a new machine with the 11" DD and they find stuff they missed with the stocker and never take it off once they try it!. The 10" coil won't be as good at separation, and although the 10" will offer a slightly larger detecting pattern than the stock coil, the DD will definitely cover more ground more efficiently. I had the same dilemma, (expensive coil on inexpensive F2) but the F2 is such a great machine, It may well be worth it to spend the $ on the 11" DD. Probably the best F2 deal out there is the $299 deal that comes WITH the 11" DD. Good luck & let us know what you decide! HH

Last edited:

Clay Fisher2

Jul 20, 2013
Middle GA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased a F2 for the same reasons as many have posted here. It is also very light weight, something to consider if you will be digging for several hours or more. I ordered the combo kit that came with a Fisher pointer, 8 and 4 inch coils and few other goodies for a little over $200. Didn't really know much about the coils so I went with the big one. Seemed like I was mainly digging trash and iron. I posted a question to the forum about the 4 inch and after getting so many thumbs up I decided to put it on. I have been digging coins since and as somebody mentioned it runs deep and right on target. Made me a happy girl!

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, I've heard a bunch of good things about the 4in coil.

Clay Fisher2

Jul 20, 2013
Middle GA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yay, good for her! Yay to you too. What a great way to spend quality time with your daughter! Glad to hear more gals are getting out there for the adventure of the hunt! I'm not afraid of a little dirt since I also love gardening and skipped the lacquered fingernails. Never worn gloves because I love the feel of dirt as I'm potting new plants. I also hunt for fossils and need to feel the speciment to help indentify. However, I am looking for a light weight pair for protection as Ive heard many comments about people digging up used syringes and blades. Something to watch for especially at the beaches as they wash ashore. Only negative I have on the F2 is that I discovered atbthe beach is that it does not have ground balance which is very helpful in the wet salty sand. It detects everything as metal and will give ghost signals. Push the sensitivity all the way down or stay on the dry stuff. There's ways to keep digging!

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I completely agree with you on how the F2 acts on the beach, ground balance would be nice, but then it would essentially turn the F2 into an F4 with no DD coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread