Fisher Coils

J.Cohoon04

Oct 3, 2013
N. Chesterfield, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher F2, CZ70 Pro (Borrowed), Tesoro Cibola(Sold), Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are the coils for the F2 and F4 interchangeable, or are the F2 coils pretty much stuck to that machine? I'm curious because I am thinking about getting a back-up machine to my F2, and was wondering if the F4 might be a good step, or if it would be ok to go with maybe an ACE 350. Any help in the matter will be greatly appreciated. :hello:

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes they are interchangeable. The F4 would be more of the primary MD than the F2. If its a backup machine your looking for, then you could get the F4 and leave the F2 as the backup unit. Then if u get the F4 that means u get ground balance and the almighty 11" DD coil with the convenience of interchangeable coils! Nice combo dude!
Are the coils for the F2 and F4 interchangeable, or are the F2 coils pretty much stuck to that machine? I'm curious because I am thinking about getting a back-up machine to my F2, and was wondering if the F4 might be a good step, or if it would be ok to go with maybe an ACE 350. Any help in the matter will be greatly appreciated. :hello:

OP
OP
J

J.Cohoon04

Oct 3, 2013
N. Chesterfield, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher F2, CZ70 Pro (Borrowed), Tesoro Cibola(Sold), Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, I figured that's how it would go, my brain was a little scrambled when I wrote it. But thank you for the information!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coils interchange, but there are two types of coil connectors on the Fisher F series detectors. The older versions used a push in connector, whereas the newer ones use a screw in connector. As long as both of your machines have the same type of connector, the coils will interchange.

F2 Hunter 28146

May 22, 2013
Rockwell, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 "Limited" CAMO - Fisher F5 (with Standard Coil) - Fisher F2 (10" coil) - & a Radio Shack "Treasure Finder" Metal Detector!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah.... you already found out your infor on the F2 / F4 coils. I have a F2 & a F5. However I can't really say one is a main and one is a backup. Really.... they are both my main. It just depends on which one I want to go out swinging with at the time. Most of the time I bring both. However I am really thinking about getting another one.

I kinda want to try out the Treasure Commander "Phil Robertson" TCX3 detector.
It has a DD coil, backlit touch screen, led flash light (built-in) and a GPS.

.....anyone know anything about those TCX3 detectors?
not much on youtube on the way of Reviews yet.

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011

The two big differences in the F2 and the F4 are the manual GB and the ability to hunt in all metal with a threshold.
They are pretty much the same, otherwise.
The manual GB only works on the all metal side and will not transfer over to the disc side...that is still pre-set from the factory.
Unless you want to hunt in all metal this feature is something you will pay for but not ever use.
You need to think about the F5 as a totally different animal and a real upgrade from the F2.

Yeah.... you already found out your infor on the F2 / F4 coils. I have a F2 & a F5. However I can't really say one is a main and one is a backup. Really.... they are both my main. It just depends on which one I want to go out swinging with at the time. Most of the time I bring both. However I am really thinking about getting another one.

Gimmicky and bad ergonomics.
Hard to swing one for a long time.
Reviews on this brand before they came out with this celebrity model were usually not very good.

I wouldn't go near one in a million years...but that is me.

OP
OP
J

J.Cohoon04

Oct 3, 2013
N. Chesterfield, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

To me, they almost seem more gimmicky to live off of the Duck Dynasty franchise while it's still big. I would be willing to bet that you could find some videos on YouTube sooner or later about the quality of them though.

OP
OP
J

J.Cohoon04

Oct 3, 2013
N. Chesterfield, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The two big differences in the F2 and the F4 are the manual GB and the ability to hunt in all metal with a threshold.
They are pretty much the same, otherwise.
The manual GB only works on the all metal side and will not transfer over to the disc side...that is still pre-set from the factory.
Unless you want to hunt in all metal this feature is something you will pay for but not ever use.
You need to think about the F5 as a totally different animal and a real upgrade from the F2.

I particularly enjoy hunting in all metals, I have to send in my F2 for repair since it got wonky on me, and was considering my options for an alternate. I like the fact that with the F4, I can still use all of the coils that I have and gain another nice coil in the process. But seeing as I just got this F2 about a month ago, it's taking a little schmoozing up with the wife to look at another detector already :laughing7:

What about going with the ACE 350 as an alternate? It's a little cheaper than the F4, but would the whole coil thing between the F2 and F4 be a more cost effective idea?

I really appreciate all of your guys input, it has been extremely helpful!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I particularly enjoy hunting in all metals, I have to send in my F2 for repair since it got wonky on me, and was considering my options for an alternate. I like the fact that with the F4, I can still use all of the coils that I have and gain another nice coil in the process. But seeing as I just got this F2 about a month ago, it's taking a little schmoozing up with the wife to look at another detector already :laughing7:

What about going with the ACE 350 as an alternate? It's a little cheaper than the F4, but would the whole coil thing between the F2 and F4 be a more cost effective idea?

I really appreciate all of your guys input, it has been extremely helpful!

If you do indeed prefer to hunt in all metal the F4 would be a logical choice since you will get that slightly upgraded unit with some features a guy like you could use and appreciate and the ability to use all your existing coils.
The DD coil on the F4 is actually larger than the one that comes with the 350, also.

For me I can't ever see myself using any of the Ace units over the Fishers if I want to hunt using both tones and a screen.
There are no VDI numbers on the Ace units, a feature that has many advantages once you learn the Fisher language and what all that screen info and those numbers are really telling you once you understand it.

Using screen units having those VDI numbers at hand vs. just icons have always been a deal breaker for me
I also can't stand that hideous yellow color and the sounds that come out of Garrett units annoy me to no end but again...that is me.

Have you considered one of the Euro Tek Pro models?

Lots of features, a great amount of good buzz about this one, a unique iron audio volume feature, large DD coil on the $299 model.
However only a pre-set Ground Balance but in decent soil it still seems to get very good depth.
I would love to get my hands on one of these and see what I could do with it.

If you like hunting in all metal, want manual GB and depth is your thing you might want to consider a Tesoro Vaquero.
Hunting in all metal or in disc this thing goes deep, real deep, using just about any coil that fits on it and there are many.
That manual GB is an advantage even if you hunt in good soil, and a whole new language with no screen but it is not really needed when you use Tesoros
A language all their own, many say these are beep and dig detectors but they are wrong.
There is a huge amount of info you can get from their models just by listening to that one beep that most of them have and by manipulating that disc knob.
Dig a lot of trash or not, your choice once you get the hang of the language.
I have learned enough using the two that I own to make a decent call on most of the targets I dig at about the same percentage as using my F2 with a screen.
About the same price as the F4 especially with discounts, and they come up in the classifieds under $400 in gently used condition a lot.

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yes they will interchange. The F2 and f4 are awesome detectors. Best in class!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread