To use coil covers or not.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always use coil covers to protect the bottom of the coil but I do clean them out regularly. If you hunt areas that will scratch or chip the bottom of the coil you might regret not having them on especially if you ever sell the detector. I like to trade detectors to try new ones at times and I usually buy or trade for used ones. The first question I usually ask for is a photo of the bottom of the coil because it shows me that the person cared enough about the detector to use a cover. That's just me and it may not make a difference to others so you can take it for what it is worth.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't never ever ever ever use a coil protector!
They do nothing but hold fine partials of dirt!
I bet you a million clad pennies that you will never ever wear your coil through. If you do then it's time for a new detector.

HH

E = Mc2

Greenie
Jun 17, 2013
Vine Grove, KY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have yet to get a coil cover for my F4, and I may never do it. The coils on my other (Tesoro, Minelab and Garrett) machines have an epoxy/resin bottom that scratches easily. My F4 coil has a harder, plastic base that doesn't scratch as easily.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't use coil or dust/rain covers this year. I just got my detector back from Fisher Labs, they were nice enough to throw in some covers and advice about using them. Those little bumps add up. I would suggest you use covers. The fine particles of dirt usually gb out.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nuff said..

Attachments

• lobo 007.jpg
    lobo 007.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 127

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The use of some kind of protection is needed for coils. If you don't want to keep cleaning out the cover you can opt to coat the thing with a marine epoxy on the bottom and sides.

ingram4868

Jan 16, 2014
Sparks, NV
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's Coinmaster, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Garrett-Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the idea of a $9.00 coil cover vs a $149. coil

deadeye 22250

Jan 23, 2014
north central Oh
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, DFX, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It makes more sense to protect the coil with something. Then it does to have to buy a new coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions