Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always been intrigued by and like switch and toggle detectors. Thats why I have and will not part with my Sov GT. I have been curious about the 3D. From some of you that use or have used the 3D..what are some real pros and cons with this machine. What is it best suited for in the real world? I also keep hearing that Fisher is going to discontinue soon like Minelab did with the GT...? Any input and opinion would be appreciated. Thanks.........TR

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a fantastic detector. The good...Really easy to set up and learn. Simple and effective. Really fast for dual freqs (5 & 15kHz) much faster than the Etrac & Vx3 I had, SUPER deep, loves old deep coins. Noticeably deeper on planted targets than my ATP, ETrac, Vx3 and Deus were. Accurately picks nickels out from pull tabs. By FAR the best nickel machine I've ever owned. Great on batteries & works great on salt beaches too (just don't get the control box wet).

The not so good...some say it has an affinity for deep iron. A simple 360 scan walk around will tell you if it's iron or not 9/10. Not the lightest or best balanced detector but once the control box is hip/chest mounted, it swings easier than a Deus or a Compadre. Coil selection is a bit on the slim side only 3 that I know of (5", 8" & 10" concentrics). Note: this machine is NOT designed to use DD coil. May not be the best choice for heavily iron infested sites but I haven't had too much problem when equipped with the 5" coil. CZ-3D is Not waterproof like some of the other CZ's.

It might be older tech and it might be going the way of the dinosaur but I haven't used a deeper more accurate machine for old coins. I'm never getting rid of mine.

If you do decide to get one, send it to NASA Tom Dankowski. He'll tune it up for you and you'll have a much better running unit.

Last edited:

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a fantastic detector. The good...Really easy to set up and learn. Simple and effective. Really fast for dual freqs (5 & 15kHz) much faster than the Etrac & Vx3 I had, SUPER deep, loves old deep coins. Noticeably deeper on planted targets than my ATP, ETrac, Vx3 and Deus were. Accurately picks nickels out from pull tabs. By FAR the best nickel machine I've ever owned. Great on batteries & works great on salt beaches too (just don't get the control box wet).

The not so good...some say it has an affinity for deep iron. A simple 360 scan walk around will tell you if it's iron or not 9/10. Not the lightest or best balanced detector but once the control box is hip/chest mounted, it swings easier than a Deus or a Compadre. Coil selection is a bit on the slim side only 3 that I know of (5", 8" & 10" concentrics). Note: this machine is NOT designed to use DD coil. May not be the best choice for heavily iron infested sites but I haven't had too much problem when equipped with the 5" coil. CZ-3D is Not waterproof like some of the other CZ's.

It might be older tech and it might be going the way of the dinosaur but I haven't used a deeper more accurate machine for old coins. I'm never getting rid of mine.

If you do decide to get one, send it to NASA Tom Dankowski. He'll tune it up for you and you'll have a much better running unit.

Fella, I couldn't have said it better myself! You are dead on! I agree with what you said about the iron and walking around the target will tell you the difference between iron and a coin. I have the CZ5 and there really isn't much difference between the two. It is a little heavy and the BIG TARGET ALERT can be a little annoying at least for me sometimes. Hope they don't discontinue the CZ3D.

Check out the video on Youtube. Type in CZ3D hits pounded park, deep silver. The user finds a Barber Quarter and Merc at 10 inches. Great video! Check it out!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tired Rooster

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really appreciate the input. I've read a lot of good things about the 3D and CZ's in general. Now just have to think about it some more. Thanks again....TR

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but how would you guys say the CZ-3D works on jewelry? Is it fairly sensitive?

OP
OP
Tired Rooster

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You hijacked my thread!! Not cool! .......just kidding:) Good question. I'd like to hear anything and every thing about the 3D......

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Fella, I couldn't have said it better myself! You are dead on! I agree with what you said about the iron and walking around the target will tell you the difference between iron and a coin. I have the CZ5 and there really isn't much difference between the two. It is a little heavy and the BIG TARGET ALERT can be a little annoying at least for me sometimes. Hope they don't discontinue the CZ3D. Check out the video on Youtube. Type in CZ3D hits pounded park, deep silver. The user finds a Barber Quarter and Merc at 10 inches. Great video! Check it out!
i just picked up a cz6 and waiting for the ground to thaw.can you guys explain a little more what you mean doing a 360 and the iron?thanks-

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but how would you guys say the CZ-3D works on jewelry? Is it fairly sensitive?

I just checked 4 different gold rings one is less than a gram. It didn't ID any of them as pull tabs, it put them all in the foil slot, about the same depth as a coin 10 inches.
IMG_1062.JPG

What I find a bit amazing is my digital machine puts most nickles, and the most common type pull tab at the same ID # 57. For this reason as well as others this may become my favorite.

I just got mine, so no field testing, but going tomorrow to a salt beach, will be posting results after that hunt.

Also just completed my version of a chest harness for it, made of a dog collar, and a leash, 1 extra snap, and one extra "D" ring, cost 5 bucks. I'll just be swinging stick, and coil only at about 2 pounds.

IMG_1061.JPG

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just picked up a cz6 and waiting for the ground to thaw.can you guys explain a little more what you mean doing a 360 and the iron?thanks-

I can't say for sure what Newfie hunter means, but "probably" means walking around a target checking from all angles to see if you get a tell tale double beep as you would get from a nail or similar shaped iron. long and skinny vs round coin.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't say for sure what Newfie hunter means, but "probably" means walking around a target checking from all angles to see if you get a tell tale double beep as you would get from a nail or similar shaped iron. long and skinny vs round coin.
Rick, you are correct. That is what I mean. Most gold rings do come in as foil as you noted..

Last edited:

Loophole

Mar 12, 2014
Greencastle Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab sovereign by
Cad
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to use a sovereign gt now I have a cz3d and I must say the cz3d is just as "deep" and is more forgiving in trashy areas, my knees are very thankful I switched to a cz3d! It is a coin killing machine!

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have also heard that the new 3Ds aren't quite as good as the old ones, but because I have never owned one I would not be able to confirm this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread