Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read everything I could find on these two units.
I like the idea of the all the settings and large digital read outs.
From what I read the F 70 can search quite a bit deeper than the F 5 but I am not sure. Not much out there from F 5 users.
Also - comments on the choice of coils like the DD would be helpful.

Any other comments and tips welcome:icon_thumright:

Old Farm site I hunt seems to have a lot of trash and I am beginning to think the older stuff is quite deep.

Thanks

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I used the F2 in bad soil and had very little depth, but no detectors got any deeper in that horrible devil dirt.
That same F2 in wonderful mild Kansas soil goes way deeper.
The 4" sniper goes past 6", the 8" past that and the 10" concentric gab get to at least 9 or 10" , the deepest I have dug targets so far.
I can't talk about the F5 because I never swung one, but I did recently pick up an F70.
Definitely deeper than my great little F2 in the short time I have used it.
Using the standard elliptical coil the greater power lets me get to 6-7-8 and 9" more consistently and with very good ID's, I have acquired targets deeper than 10" but couldn't dig them because of frozen soil.
At one park that 10" coil locked onto a 10" deep target and I heard a tone from several directions even though there was no information at all showing up on the screen.
On very deep targets at the end of the scanning field the F70 will act this way...kind of like it won't even take a guess, but that tone was solid and stable all the way.
This was a beaver tail tab every bit of 10" in depth.
In another park at the outskirts where there was wifi and a power line so lots of EMI using the 11" DD coil the F70 found and identified an Indian head coin spill with good tones, pretty solid numbers, accurate ID's and correct depth readings at the 7-9" depth level despite the EMI.
On another hunt at this same old park more in the middle away from a lot of this EMI I used the F75 11" DD coil.
This coil is definitely deeper than the standard coil, I regularly get depth readings on targets consistently at levels more like 6-10" deep and even at 11" and deeper with audio and screen info.
On one target with this coil still in disc but with the settings jacked up to max I came across a signal that was again solid and repeatable in the tone and had numbers that jumped a bit but 25-27 showed up on my screen more than others.
The depth on my screen said 12-14" and I was surprised, but the dirt here was not frozen so I dug it just to see if something was really down there that deep.
At the very bottom of the hole there actually was a target that in air testing came in at a true 25-27 VDI, and I measured this hole and would you believe this target was laying at an actual depth of 14"?
I was floored...and very happy at that moment.
The target was trash, a thumb ringer off an old time bicycle handlebar bell, but I don't care.
The fact that this thing can get this deep with pretty solid audio and decently accurate screen ID information thrills me to no end. Can't wait for the weather to finally clear and for the season to really begin.
I don't think this will be the last surprise the F70 has in store for me.

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
By the way, when I get a new detector I usually start a log and put down all my thoughts, finds, insights and discoveries about using them as I learn them so others might be able to use them to get over the initial learning curves a bit faster.
I like to pay it forward for all the generous help I receive along the way as I am learning.
I did this with the F2 and that thread grew to become one of the longest threads on the net.

I started one when I got the F70 and here it is if you would like to take a look.
Way more info about the F70 than in my post above and more to come as I continue to learn it.
Digger27's F70 log....Stardate 91517.72 (11-30-13) - Friendly Metal Detecting Forums

IBdiggin

Mar 21, 2013
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70,Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250, 2 Garrett pro-pointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dirtfishing does a good job here if you want to see the F5 at its best.

Good soil means everything when it comes to depth

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks,
I saw that video and it was ok except it was more about digging than explaining how the detector works.
Interested more in settings and how deep it can read.
Some people say F 70 goes to 14" depending on soil conditions.
Would the F 5 equal that if both used same coil and same target?
There is one site that rates the F-5 at 8-9" and I get that with the 350.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks,
I saw that video and it was ok except it was more about digging than explaining how the detector works.

8-9 inches with a 350!? Wow, that's more than some people claim to get with the f70 or AT Pro. Of course it depends on the ground...

OP
OP
H

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8-9 inches with a 350!? Wow, that's more than some people claim to get with the f70 or AT Pro. Of course it depends on the ground...
Gee, The Topic was - Compare a F 5 depth to a F 70 in equal settings.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the F5 and F70. The F70 will go deeper. Now is two to four inches worth the extra cost for YOU?

Learn about frequencies of the different detectors and what particular things you are looking for react to them.

I have a GoldBugPro, similar in depth to a F70 but it's designed for gold and iron more than the F70 is.

As I've said in my other posts, I like my F2 in the summer time, I ain't digging a foot in hard dry clay!

As a rule of thumb, with Fisher, there usually a good reason one detector costs more than the other, as well as coil sizes dictate price also.

With that said, I prefer the F5 "interface". I prefer the knobs to adjust my settings, I hate the pushbutton menu nonsense. My ideal detector would be a GoldBugPro with the F5 user interface.

My real life experience recommendation is, buy the best detector you can afford. DO NOT buy a detector like an F2 and think you can add goodies and expect it to perform as well as an F5 or F70. It just ain't got the guts inside to do it.

Last time I checked, from time to time, Fisher and Teknetics has factory refurbs well discounted with warranties. Call them and ask, if a few scratches won't bother you while you're saving several hundred dollars.

jmho

IBdiggin

Mar 21, 2013
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70,Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250, 2 Garrett pro-pointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks,

Ok, here is one with Bill Ladd's introduction of the F5 in 2009 when it first came out.

bill ladd on you tube with fisher f5 - Bing Videos

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill is a good straight forward user of the fisher & teknetics machines he has other vids out aswell but most of his early ones have been with the fishers. I suggest watch em all the vids you can only gonna help u in the long run

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The F5 is an awesome machine for the price! Giving all those live readings while swinging the machine is so awesome! Great machine, has a killer interface, awesome feel on those knobs and how you can set the machine!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed that carbon fiber front face has drawn my attention for quite a while wish they put it on the f75ltd seems a carbon fiber should be a limited thing

OP
OP
H

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Was out detecting in the ice and snow three week ends ago with the ace 350. Spotted 3 possible coins in an area that we covered 3 times last summer.
Only one signal we could dig because of frozen ground. Found a memorial penny. Then we went into the dirt basement of a 1860 home with field stone basement walls.
We had a short time like 5 minute then Dinner was ready. found a 1991 clad dime. The the next day pressed for time i did a quick 5 min hunt. Hit on anther beep that turned out to be a 1977 penny in great shape. All with the 350. So I am not hurting for a unit and watch ebay for something reasonable.
I am also tuning into document the depth of each find to get an average of what depth I would find silver coins or maybe a IH penny.
The old farm site was settled just after the civil war and deeded to a union officer. Deed was signed by U S Grant. The place is our old family farm since 1940.
So the lack of hitting any real old coins make me wounder if I need something deeper then the Ace 350.
Last week I joined a local MD Club and I am looking forward to meeting members and seeing how their MD work. There are two group hunts scheduled in April.
So I plan to attend and see what people use and how they use them.
I will let you guys know what happens. Maybe I will get lucky on ebay- Bid a couple times but got out bid. lol

OP
OP
H

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well good news for me. I decided to get a F 75 SE. Could not refuse on a reasonable price.
So another journey begins for me.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well good news for me. I decided to get a F 75 SE. Could not refuse on a reasonable price.
So another journey begins for me.

Congrates I know ull enjoy it & I will tell you it is a very powerful impressive detector, a little chatty but well worth it, so far its found things that my deus xp,v3i,Atpro,xterra 705 haven't found, a bit of advice keep the sensitivity down a little till you get used to it & if urs is coming with the 5" coil it will benefit you to learn with it on its like a laser

OP
OP
H

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I down loaded the manual and I am writing down crib notes of all the it's and out's of the 3 operational modes to start with. Quite complicated really but what a machine it is. I can see where people can get off track real quick and have issues and get confused. Better to study the manual and make a plan before Venturing out.

OP
OP
H

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well my unit came Friday and I made it out Sat and Sunday.
Got a good work out and feel for the F75.
Unit is a Limited edition SE. So it has power boost. Did not expect that.
Also both coils came with coil covers. Did not expect that.
Seems to work good and I think I really like all metal motion mode. I felt like one with the machine.

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well my unit came Friday and I made it out Sat and Sunday.
Got a good work out and feel for the F75.
Unit is a Limited edition SE. So it has power boost. Did not expect that.
Also both coils came with coil covers. Did not expect that.
Seems to work good and I think I really like all metal motion mode. I felt like one with the machine.

I'm also kinda new to the f75 mines the ltd which not really any difference between the ltd & se what I do know is there isn't much that's gonna be able to hide out there, easiest way to learn the thing toss on.the 5" coil instead of the 11" I won't lose much depth & it will be easier to to hoone in on those targets, its a very deep machine & like I said before I'm actually finding things my other high end machines didn't & those I did know how to use. So far my settings I been using is the disc side
- send 56-80 pending on site if a lot of EMI ill.change frequencies from.the 7 channels
-je mode Seems real sens on.small things
-3h tone
-.2 on notch
-1 on.disc so I still hear all but I can toggle around with the modes

Remember you don't need to crank up to high on.the sens its a power house but good luck

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm thinking about buying an F 70. Question. If an T2 and F 75 are sisters , then what is the Teknetics sister to the F 70 ? It is like they say ...the f 75 is programed better for coins and the T 2 is a good civil war machine. So what about the F 70 sister machine ?Which is it ?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure but the f75 ltd & se are awesome for coins & with the added boost & cache programs very good in iron & for relics

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread