Fisher F70 ground balance question

Pmaverick

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, just a quick question on Ground balancing the f70. I feel as if im having something done not properly. I was on the field with a guy who hunts with at pro. He's ground balancing starts from loud pumps and gets absolutely silent when balanced no matter of the coil pump direction (up or down). I understand, my F70 should start with sounds and in the end of ground balance it shuold be silent as well? In my case - i got the solid reading on the phase but sound does not dissappear, still during the pumping i can hear as if it was not balanced. In the fisher lab video - the guy balancing the F70 did couple of pumps and once he got solid ground phase on the screen he finished the balancing even though there were still some noises coming out when pumping. Shall i do the same and not worry about these sounds while balancing once i get my phase readings not changing? I have a factory settings - sens. 60, threshold -3, discrimination 10... Im pretty sure i did not do the balancing over any iron or something.
regards
Peter

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this the threshold that you are hearing? I have owned an ATP and know it does not have a threshold. I have never used an F70 but assume it is a threshold machine since your settings included a threshold setting. You want a just barely audible threshold like a mosquito buzzing near your ear. Too high of a threshold will mask out targets. Good luck and HH!

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pmaverick

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know - it sounds just like in that video

see 7:40 and up..there he starts the Ground Balance procedure :) It is like in this case - solid phase readings but sound still exists while pumping - the same sound as in that video. While threshold is -3 i cant hear any blumplings or squizees while normal sweeping and searching - only during the ground balance so i believe it is not the treshold... but i can be wrong - i have F70 since yesterday ;)

Last edited:

IBdiggin

Mar 21, 2013
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70,Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250, 2 Garrett pro-pointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PMaverick, A good way to check your ground balance is to find a clean area and hold the coil still on or just off the ground. Push the pin point button. If you get a depth read out your not balanced properly. If your balanced properly when pushing pinpoint over clean ground you should see two straight lines in your display.:icon_thumright: This works in Autotune or discrimination modes.

Always balance in Autotune (all metal) mode. This will enable you to find clean ground easier. If your getting constant noise when searching for clean ground, some places louder than others, back your sensitivity down a little till you find clean ground. Repeat if necessary.

Hope this helps---GL and HH-----------IB

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Yes, the F70 will NOT go silent when GBing.
The AT Pro is a different machine from a different company, regarding set ups and behavior some things are similar when it comes to totally different detectors, most things will not be.
Just pump until you see stable numbers and the threshold sound will still be heard on the upswing and the downswing which is totally normal for this Fisher unit.

OP
OP
P

Pmaverick

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You digger and ibdigging - certainly it made me calm cause i started to worry ;) After i got rid of at pro which was awsome except from touching the screen which caused falsing :) Then for one day i picked up whites MX5 - this one had tone issue and got blocked on high tones after Pinpointing....after all i switched it to fisher and this seems to be the 10 pts hit ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread