Gold Bug Pro hints and tips for prospecting

Featherdfishead

Apr 4, 2014
Callahan-ScottValley-Salmon River, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primarily Minelab SDC 2300
and Gold Bug Pro with NEL Sharpshooter, Grey Ghost Phones, an EzSluice, a good Pan, various Diggn Tools, and a Good'Ol Dog or Two
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My GBP is on the way, should arrive this coming Wednesday. Been reading a lot of info and just wanted some tips on prospecting from people whom have been using the GBP. I'm new to chat forums and have been having troubles searching for GBP info. I'm an experienced detector so don't really need basics but anything will help. If you've already wrote on the issue maybe post a link if you would. Happy Days- Happy Hunting

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunt in all metal, threshold a whisper in your ear, gain as high as you can get while still maintaining a stable threshold, check ground balance often, dig everything.

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read once that setting the gain at 11 o'clock was the ideal position.
I tried this for awhile but now that I've got the 10" DD solid coil I just turn the gain up as far as I can while still being stable.
So I guess my best piece of advice would be to buy a control box cover (my GBP doesn't like to sit upright when I set it down and always rolls over and smacks a rock) and buy the 10" DD solid coil.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GreyGhost - try and loosen the nut that holds the coil on the stem, just a bit, where it will rotate/relax (but not floppy) and lie flat on the ground - big enough coil, it'll be stable enough to not tip over.
Box covers are nice, but cost you, so just use a veggie bag, type you get at grocery store, cover the box, and use a rubber band to hold it in place - now, you are ready for rain and dust - no excuse, get out there and find some TREASURE! Good advice on the coil - keeps from getting snagged in the brush!

id_au_digger

Greenie
Sep 3, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II, X-Terra 70, ACE 350
GreyGhost - try and loosen the nut that holds the coil on the stem, just a bit, where it will rotate/relax (but not floppy) and lie flat on the ground - big enough coil, it'll be stable enough to not tip over.
Box covers are nice, but cost you, so just use a veggie bag, type you get at grocery store, cover the box, and use a rubber band to hold it in place - now, you are ready for rain and dust - no excuse, get out there and find some TREASURE! Good advice on the coil - keeps from getting snagged in the brush!

Agreed... GB2 is very sensitive to very little moisture. Cover it. Sandwich bag works great.

geodetecting

Feb 13, 2012
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some great videos on the Fisher Gold Bug Pro at my YouTube.com/GeoDetecting channel if you want to check it out? I LOVE this machine, I feels its one of the best machines for the price in the market today! I'm just waiting to go to a old gold mine and find some real big treasures some day!

GDT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread