F2 Test

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, I wanted to test my detector. Why? cause I felt it used to have more depth but now I dont know whats going on...Currently uploading my video test to youtube. Dug a 6" hole and put a wheat penny and a silver quarter. Tried it with the 4" and 11" coils and I was very surprised. Nothing with the 4" coil and it struggled to detect with the 11" coil. I read you could reset the machine pressing the on off button for 10 secs? Please feel free to comment!
???

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Air testing a clad quarter with 11DD I get 8" and repetitive vdi of 79.
Dime and penny is 7".
Sensitivity on max.

Fwiw

To reset, have the detector off and hold the On button for 10 seconds. You won't get any indication something happened.

I also remember someone saying that you should reset it when you change coils.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I guess that should be standard procedure

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A guess, looks like you've got everything discriminated out?

For no filtering, you need to have all the segments at the top lit when you turn it on.

But those should clear each time you turn it off.

Check this video:

I'll dig mine out and double check....

Last edited:

WhatTheBeep

Apr 9, 2013
Northeast Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, F70, F2
Primary Interest:
Other
Couple of things... The reset procedure should be used any time you change coils also.

I'm pretty certain the problem is, though, that freshly buried coins at that depth make any detector struggle to detect them--they won't be optimally detectable for many months of being in the ground due to the soil's conductive matrix being broken when the soil is disturbed.

Another possibility is higher levels of EMI, which fluctuate dramatically from one day to the next will also affect your detector's depth, even if your F2 doesn't beep wildly from it.

Reset your F2 first as described, then air test it to see if you get the same depths as you used to in previous air tests, or if you never did before then check your results with Steve's.

Good luck!

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After I posted the video I did exactly as told and gave it a reset. I did the test beneath some big power lines that run side to my house. Also, I forgot to turn off my home's wifi router specially since I was standing right beside the wall that divided us! Did some air tests again though and I could say that it looked pretty normal. I can say probably the resetting process did it's effect. About the conductivity thing in the soil it does makes sense since the soil is broken and specially I had the coins inside the zip locks and could creat air pockets! Still, off topic speaking I want to upgrade to an F5 :)

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try placing the coil on the ground when you turn it on.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will the F5 be your last detector?

What's your budget?

The F70 is the deepest detector I have, only a few dollars more. But no manual ground balance adjustment, just pump the coil. That's why I like the GoldbugPro with it's manual ground balance.

And the rumors are the F19 will be out this summer.

I like the F5 interface though but it's not as deep as the F70 and GoldbugPro.

A lot of great deals on used detectors, that's how I got my F5 and GoldBugPro for hundreds of dollars less than new.

Your F2 coils won't fit anything else except the F4. So you'll need new coils for your new detector.

In summary, you can get a deeper detector than the F5 for a few dollars more. And for a few dollars more, you can get a deeper detector than that. And for a few dollars more......the battle we all must face alone. How much money are you willing to pay for a few more inches.....

Good luck.

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look at the Teknetics gamma, F5, tesoro vaquero, and whites m6. STAY AWAY FROM THE AT PRO! it's overrated! that's all I can say...

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did almost the exact same test with my F2 this past Saturday only with dimes. I dug 4, 6, and 8 inch holes (measured from the bottom of the hole to the top of the soil) and laid a dime flat at the bottom of each hole. I went over the holes with the stock 8 inch coil and was very disappointed. At 4 inches, it was hitting the dime, but the ID was all over the place and it certainly wasn't the best signal. 6 inches, forget about it. The detector picked it up about once in every 4 swings or so (being generous) and it showed up as iron on the VDI. Keep in mind, my ground here in New England is really mild, so that shouldn't be affecting the detector at all. On the other hand, it is a new coin garden, so the dimes haven't had time to adjust to the soil. I'll do another test in a couple of months.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the Teknetics gamma, F5, tesoro vaquero, and whites m6. STAY AWAY FROM THE AT PRO! it's overrated! that's all I can say...

Gamma is good too. Coils are interchangeable with the F5 and GoldbugPro and G2 and probably the new F19. I'd say the depth are the same between my F5 and Gamma.

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have read in a few posts here that freshly put coins on the ground any detector will have a hard time picking it up! No wonder! So everytime I turn on the machine the coil must be in the ground? I know the machine has GB presets but is that a way to "sort of" GB it? Interesting then. Well going back to what MD, it's really that I like the interface on the F5. You can really fine tune the machine! With the ATP, well U get the waterproof feature. I'm not just talking about md beaches or rivers but, u people don't know how many times I've been in the woods and it starts to pour and I had to take my shirt off to wrap my F2 and start running like hell back to the car! LOL!! We get a couple of inches of rain a year u know! :)

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I have read in a few posts here that freshly put coins on the ground any detector will have a hard time picking it up! No wonder! So everytime I turn on the machine the coil must be in the ground? I know the machine has GB presets but is that a way to "sort of" GB it? Interesting then. Well going back to what MD, it's really that I like the interface on the F5. You can really fine tune the machine! With the ATP, well U get the waterproof feature. I'm not just talking about md beaches or rivers but, u people don't know how many times I've been in the woods and it starts to pour and I had to take my shirt off to wrap my F2 and start running like hell back to the car! LOL!! We get a couple of inches of rain a year u know! :)

In that case, look into to the AT pro, but try tesoro as well. I think they are also waterproof but without the screens.. Or try to put a control box cover on the F2.

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that case, look into to the AT pro, but try tesoro as well. I think they are also waterproof but without the screens.. Or try to put a control box cover on the F2.

Yep! I was looking at some online in the past couple of days!

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try 14 hours..

I'm not trying to pick you apart here, detectingpro, but 14 hours is still not a lot of time to have on a machine. You may like it better once you log a bit more time.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not trying to pick you apart here, detectingpro, but 14 hours is still not a lot of time to have on a machine. You may like it better once you log a bit more time.
I get the impression he has already made up his mind that it's junk and would rather recommend detectors he has never used.

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get the impression he has already made up his mind that it's junk and would rather recommend detectors he has never used.

I've logged a hour on a F5 from a friend, I was impressed by the depth, but the f series tones to me personally is kinda annoying. I'm actually starting to like the Pro, but not enough to recommend it fully. The real test is to see how it does on a iron infested beach.

Sent from my expensive phone I really don't need

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread