Beach settings for an F5.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a fine detector in the F5 and you should have been fine if you only hunted the dry sand. It was the wet sand that should have given you trouble. It was probably EMI fields that gave you chatter. The sometimes the time of day makes a big difference.
Read this to help you understand. Turning down the sens sometimes helps.

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/davejohnson/Electrical%20Interference.htm

NRA#.JPG shooting-guns.gif

Last edited:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love boker pocket knives (USA made that is, have a few)
As sandman said dry sand "shouldn't have been a problem"

Are you new to F5 or new to detecting all together.

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im a new F5 owner and just went to a gulf of Mexico beach a few days ago. I got a few coins and a Boker pocketknife but my MD was going crazy with multiple signals and chatter. What settings do you recommend for walking the dry sand line at the beach?
Yeah u could turn down your sensitivity. Maybe threshold just a little bit also. Ground balance your machine the heck out of it and go for it again. If u carry ur cel phone with you that too could be adding to your situation. Put it the farthest away from your detector as possible also. What coil does the F5 have? 11"DD? 10" concentric? The bigger coil (11"DD) should be a little more stable than the concentric. HH!

gfmucci

Jun 19, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
BH in 70's; new to Whites MX5 in July 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have a fine detector in the F5 and you should have been fine if you only hunted the dry sand. It was the wet sand that should have given you trouble. It was probably EMI fields that gave you chatter. The sometimes the time of day makes a big difference.
Read this to help you understand. Turning down the sens sometimes helps.

Electiical Interference

View attachment 979046 View attachment 979049

The below quote from the above link is great news for F5 users:

"Among our medium to high performance metal detectors (as of August 09), the ones which are overall probably the easiest to use in environments with electrical interference, are the F5 and the Tek Omega."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread