New Fisher F4 help. EMI problems? Something else?

p1atypusx

May 10, 2014
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 do
Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received a Fisher F4 I purchased on eBay today. I went to bench test it and it went haywire. Figured EMI from inside so I went outside. Not any better but I was able to air test some coins and pull tabs. But when not reading it was still all over the spectrum. I don't think the EMI could be that bad, could it?

Here's a link to a one minute video showing what it's doing.

Is it just bad interference, or did I get a bad detector? The coil is connected well. Could it be bad coil? I turned sensitivity down and still bounces all over.

Any help please.
Thanks in advance.

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take it out to an area with no chance of EMI like a park. My units at home act goofy. First time I purchased one and turned it on in the house I thought someone sold me a dud. The back yard was not much better.
The Manual tells you how to deal with noise. Sensitivity, Ground Balancing and lowering Threshold help reduce noise levels. Some electronic hum is desirable.
Some say a cell phone signal can cause EMI.

Again go out to and empty area and try again.

IBdiggin

Mar 21, 2013
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70,Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250, 2 Garrett pro-pointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wifi among other things can cause interference a populated areas. I noticed less interference when you pointed the coil skyward which could possibly indicate no problems with the power unit. Try running the cable straight up 6" from the coil to the shaft and secure at that point with electrical tape or a plastic tie before beginning to wind around the shaft. This is a common recommendation with the Garretts. I also did my F70 that way. I have noticed that same type interference at a park where I hunt near where some electrical installations went underground prior to crossing a creek.-Hope this helps---IB

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wifi among other things can cause interference a populated areas. I noticed less interference when you pointed the coil skyward which could possibly indicate no problems with the power unit. Try running the cable straight up 6" from the coil to the shaft and secure at that point with electrical tape or a plastic tie before beginning to wind around the shaft. This is a common recommendation with the Garretts. I also did my F70 that way. I have noticed that same type interference at a park where I hunt near where some electrical installations went underground prior to crossing a creek.-Hope this helps---IB

Not that it matters, but the manual shows the cable wrapping in the opposite direction.

I have an F2 that doesn't like batteries when they start getting low, in the video it looks like the battery gauge is showing a notch or two low? Try two new batteries.

F4 manual direct from Fisher:
http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/manuals/F4) REV 4 05.03.13 - Reader LR.pdf

I don't see the factory reset for the F4, but on the F2, when you turn it on, continue holding the power button down for 10 seconds. You won't see any indication that something happened.

Don't give up yet, and then there is always Fisher service.
Fisher Customer Service

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I received a Fisher F4 I purchased on eBay today. I went to bench test it and it went haywire. Figured EMI from inside so I went outside. Not any better but I was able to air test some coins and pull tabs. But when not reading it was still all over the spectrum. I don't think the EMI could be that bad, could it?

Here's a link to a one minute video showing what it's doing.

Video Link: Http://youtu.be/3wFfJ6_HCnM

Is it just bad interference, or did I get a bad detector? The coil is connected well. Could it be bad coil? I turned sensitivity down and still bounces all over.

Any help please.
Thanks in advance.

Definitely EMI, possibly an underground cable. I had the same problem with my F2 at one spot in my backyard.
Good luck!
C4C

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EMI for sure as if you had a broken solder joint it would false all the time. Check if a neighbor has a security system or electric dog fence.
Good luck.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EMI for sure as if you had a broken solder joint it would false all the time. Check if a neighbor has a security system or electric dog fence.
Good luck.

found a dog fence EMI video...

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
go out into the country and see if its doing it. report back

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as your near houses your going to get some EMI no matter where you are. When I got my first F2 day 1, I hunted my front lawn, but with tons of chattering. Like they said earlier. Go to some other place with no EMI.

OP
OP
P

p1atypusx

May 10, 2014
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 do
Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the advice. Took it to work with me and tested it at an old golf course and the interference was minimal. Unfortunately I haven't had the time I want to use it, but today I had to take pizzas to the kid's school, which gave me a chance to hit a small grassy area near a tree that kids and parents congregate. I only had ten minutes and didn't have proper recovery tools, but in that short amount of time recovered 41 cents. No silver but did get a copper penny and will definitely be going back.

Again thank you for your help.

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great! Glad it is working

Last edited:

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say you have the same problem I have at my house. You have a buried electric line for street lights along or threw your property. I only say this because you can see the light in your vid, and mine will do the same thing, loose the chatter as you lift it away from the ground. Blue stake came and tagged my yard, and I was amazed at the telephone, power and fiber optic cables in the ground in my front yard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread