Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had my Fisher F2 for a couple of weeks now. I used to swing a Bounty hunter Quick Draw 2. I have been running the machine in quarter and dime mode a lot because I have a hard time getting stable VDI numbers on anything. Is it my machine? I have seen guys use the Fisher F2 and get stable readings at depth. For me, anything over 2 inches deep is usually all over the place. Even in Quarter and dime my Fisher will show dime on clad pennies. I live in Montana and I guess we have high mineralization here, should I trade up to a better machine or am I just not experienced enough on this machine?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quarter & dime mode? Does that mean you notch out all the other segments?

I live in an area where most of the sites I hunt have highly ferrous ground. The F2 handles it all just fine so I doubt it's ground issue.

Could it be a source of EMI? Does it act the same everywhere? Have you tried more than one location? Lower the sens?

First I'd make sure your coil plug is seated properly. Check for damage to the coil also. Eliminate EMI or compensate by lowering your sensitivity.
If you're still have issues, I'd call Fisher direct and talk to tech. The F2 should be stable well beyond 2".

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I have been notching out all other segments. I find the jumpy id's wherever I hunt. My coil cable is secure. I usually hunt a 4 sensitivity unless I do get high EMI in the area, then I will back it down to as low as 2. I can put a quarter on the ground on the surface and get anywhere from a 68 to a 99. I was told that these numbers shouldn't deviate more than 2 especially on the surface to at least 4 inches down if there is no other metal masking it. I bought this F2 as a used demo unit from Kellyco with the 8" and 4" sniper coil. After testing I found that the 8" coil is the problem as the 4" correctly identifies targets and the 8" is all over the place. Thanks for your help. Fisher says they will replace the coil. The $60.00 I saved at Kellyco over a new 2 coil package is not as good a deal as I thought. I know people swear by this company, but I received this unit dirty, (it had food in the lock rings grooves and they forgot to send me a pinpointer which I had to wait another week for and now the coil. Not such a great deal.

Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I have been notching out all other segments. I find the jumpy id's wherever I hunt. My coil cable is secure. I usually hunt a 4 sensitivity unless I do get high EMI in the area, then I will back it down to as low as 2. I can put a quarter on the ground on the surface and get anywhere from a 68 to a 99. I was told that these numbers shouldn't deviate more than 2 especially on the surface to at least 4 inches down if there is no other metal masking it. I bought this F2 as a used demo unit from Kellyco with the 8" and 4" sniper coil.

I got out my F2 to check....

Using 8" stock coil, default sensitivity, a clad quarter is 77-79 solid to 7.5".
I also had the discrimination set for everything out except the top two dime and quarter segments.

Using the 4" coil, default sensitivity, solid 77-78 to 5.5"

Discrimination setting didn't seem to affect depth.

I'd recommend resetting the detector each time you swap coils. When off, hold the power button down for ten seconds. You won't see anything, but it will have reset.

Imho, send it back and get a refund, unless Fisher will take care of it under warranty, your choice.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I have been notching out all other segments. I find the jumpy id's wherever I hunt. My coil cable is secure. I usually hunt a 4 sensitivity unless I do get high EMI in the area, then I will back it down to as low as 2. I can put a quarter on the ground on the surface and get anywhere from a 68 to a 99. I was told that these numbers shouldn't deviate more than 2 especially on the surface to at least 4 inches down if there is no other metal masking it. I bought this F2 as a used demo unit from Kellyco with the 8" and 4" sniper coil. After testing I found that the 8" coil is the problem as the 4" correctly identifies targets and the 8" is all over the place. Thanks for your help. Fisher says they will replace the coil. The $60.00 I saved at Kellyco over a new 2 coil package is not as good a deal as I thought. I know people swear by this company, but I received this unit dirty, (it had food in the lock rings grooves and they forgot to send me a pinpointer which I had to wait another week for and now the coil. Not such a great deal.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your troubles. This is why I don't advise people to buy used, especially from Kellyco. Fisher has great customer service and should make it right. good luck.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The $60.00 I saved at Kellyco over a new 2 coil package is not as good a deal as I thought. I know people swear by this company,
I've never dealt with Kco and I never will. I hear mostly negative reviews. Good on Fisher for sending you a new 8"!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience with Kco was not positive. Keith at Fort Bedford has been exceptional to me.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for your comments and encouragement!
Living here in Montana there are hardly any detecting groups. Knowledgeable detectorists are even harder to find. All your help is very much appreciated. I love this hobby.
I regularly hunt 4 or more hours a pop (when I can) and have at least $60.00 in clad, 2 silver rings and a bunch of miscellaneous relics. I found most with the Bounty Hunter Quick draw 2 I got cheap. That is why I was excited to get the F2 because it had a few more features I was wishing I had with the Bounty hunter. Watched all of the videos and liked what I saw for the price. Sadly my start has been rocky since I was sold a machine with a bad coil. I thought it was me, but will be happy to get a good coil and see what this machine can do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since I have your input. Will the F2 work with rechargeable batteries. If so what kind? My manual says only to use alkalines. I have seen some good prices on 9 volt rechargeables and chargers on Ebay. They have 300 and 600 Ma.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use rechargeables in mine. I use the RadioShack brand. They're not the best but I've never had an issue. Just remember to keep em charged up. When they die, they die fast unlike alkalines.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had my Fisher F2 for a couple of weeks now. I used to swing a Bounty hunter Quick Draw 2. I have been running the machine in quarter and dime mode a lot because I have a hard time getting stable VDI numbers on anything. Is it my machine? I have seen guys use the Fisher F2 and get stable readings at depth. For me, anything over 2 inches deep is usually all over the place. Even in Quarter and dime my Fisher will show dime on clad pennies. I live in Montana and I guess we have high mineralization here, should I trade up to a better machine or am I just not experienced enough on this machine?

Remember, copper pennies SHOULD read up as dimes.
Good Luck!
C4C

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My KellyCo experiences have all been positive, but I've only bought new product. Buying used is always a risk. I'd prefer to buy off Craig's List from someone in my immediate area rather than an online retailer. That way, it is not sight unseen.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To be fair, I must tell you that even though I had a rocky start with Kellyco, Gene made sure to fix any problem I had. He sent me a new detector, which was good enough in itself. But he also upgraded the coil to a DD in case it was a mineralization problem, and gave me a Vulcan pinpointer. He didn't charge me a dime and paid for the shipping for my old detector and the new one. He didn't have to do that, but I believe he sincerely wanted me to know that Kellyco is a good company and stands behind their customers. Thanks Gene !

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be fair, I must tell you that even though I had a rocky start with Kellyco, Gene made sure to fix any problem I had. He sent me a new detector, which was good enough in itself. But he also upgraded the coil to a DD in case it was a mineralization problem, and gave me a Vulcan pinpointer. He didn't charge me a dime and paid for the shipping for my old detector and the new one. He didn't have to do that, but I believe he sincerely wanted me to know that Kellyco is a good company and stands behind their customers. Thanks Gene !

Glad to hear it worked out. I would like to beleive that any of the dealers/sponsers on TN Forum would be reputable and professional to deal with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread