F2 Problem?

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man, having a little problem with my F2. It seems the unit won't turn off. All other buttons work properly but the on/off button won't work. Obviously I take the batteries out and problem solved but when I re-install the batteries the unit turns on it's own. Gotta call Fisher Labs then. :( Let's see what happens!

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man, having a little problem with my F2. It seems the unit won't turn off. All other buttons work properly but the on/off button won't work. Obviously I take the batteries out and problem solved but when I re-install the batteries the unit turns on it's own. Gotta call Fisher Labs then. :( Let's see what happens!

It's called salt I would guess, living in your tropical paradise....
:)

Like woof said, when you go near the beach, please put a ziplock bag over your detectors to keep the humidity out of them.

Maybe the salt won't eat your ATP
:)

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's called salt I would guess, living in your tropical paradise.... :) Like woof said, when you go near the beach, please put a ziplock bag over your detectors to keep the humidity out of them. Maybe the salt won't eat your ATP :)

Funny, everytime I come back from the beach I clean my detector!

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In fact, I am extremely careful with my stuff. I constantly see vids on youtube of people literally droping their detectors once they start to dig their targets. I tend to dig with my left hand while still holding my detector with my other hand. But never drop any of my detectors! As for humidity. I may live in the tropics and yes, I go to the beaches but not one drop of water has touched my F2 nor on the beach nor rain or river! Like I said, I take care of my stuff.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, everytime I come back from the beach I clean my detector!

The moisture gets inside and the salt corrodes the electronics like switches and wires, etc.

Remember your F2 isn't sealed like the ATP.

Here's woof!'s post on beach comments

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/brands/416471-what-would-good-detector-beginner.html#post4019205

There in San Diego you've usually got onshore winds. Whatever you get, put a plastic bag over its head to protect it from the salt air.

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand putting a zip lock bag on the detector if its raining but if its not raining don't you think by putting the zip bag on the detector it will make humidity itself? I go sometimes to the wet sand part of the beach but never were the water Actually is. I have only detected once in like 2 feet deep water and it was in a river...no salt water. Any way I'll give the guys at Fisher a call!

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand putting a zip lock bag on the detector if its raining but if its not raining don't you think by putting the zip bag on the detector it will make humidity itself? I go sometimes to the wet sand part of the beach but never were the water Actually is. I have only detected once in like 2 feet deep water and it was in a river...no salt water. Any way I'll give the guys at Fisher a call!

woof! is an engineer at Fisher (FirstTexas)

Good luck

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Something to consider…It MAY just be the batteries. On my F2 when the batteries get low, the machine won't turn off.

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already contacted Fisher. I'm gonna run a series of tests when I get home they told me to do. I'll keep you posted!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would be surprised at how much salt is in the air. You don't even have to go near the water for salt to ruin electronics, just from the salt from the air anywhere close to the beach.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already contacted Fisher. I'm gonna run a series of tests when I get home they told me to do. I'll keep you posted!

Hope you get it figured out! I love my F2 and rarely hear about repairs being needed. I've hunted down at Oceanside on the beach a few times with my F2, Compadre and X-Terra. Never had a problem at all.

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you get it figured out! I love my F2 and rarely hear about repairs being needed. I've hunted down at Oceanside on the beach a few times with my F2, Compadre and X-Terra. Never had a problem at all.
Thanx! Me neither except now. What ever the issue is I still love my F2!

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy to report everything is normal! Apparently one of the batteries was out of juice! Just installed fresh new batteries and vioala!! F2 back in action!!

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy to report everything is normal! Apparently one of the batteries was out of juice! Just installed fresh new batteries and vioala!! F2 back in action!!

fella is da man

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Always put a plastic bag over its head when doing saltwater beach work, esp. with onshore winds. You may not smell the salt in the air, but the electronics can.

Half a century ago I lived 3 blocks from Ocean Beach in San Francisco. Inside the house no less, anything that was metal eventually corroded. Gold wouldn't have corroded, but I didn't have any of that!

OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always put a plastic bag over its head when doing saltwater beach work, esp. with onshore winds. You may not smell the salt in the air, but the electronics can. Half a century ago I lived 3 blocks from Ocean Beach in San Francisco. Inside the house no less, anything that was metal eventually corroded. Gold wouldn't have corroded, but I didn't have any of that!

Got it! I sprayed one time just from the upper part of the tube down to the coil but not the control box with a spray that sells pepboys that I also used on my Rc short course trucks and works great to prevent rust and corrotion. It's like some sort of silicone grease, (smells like WD-40) but obviously it's not a lubricant. I figured if it worked great on my RC's then I tried it on my detectors. So far so good! I dont recall the brand right now but it has like a wrench on the front of the can.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got it! I sprayed one time just from the upper part of the tube down to the coil but not the control box with a spray that sells pepboys that I also used on my Rc short course trucks and works great to prevent rust and corrotion. It's like some sort of silicone grease, (smells like WD-40) but obviously it's not a lubricant. I figured if it worked great on my RC's then I tried it on my detectors. So far so good! I dont recall the brand right now but it has like a wrench on the front of the can.

Sounds like motor/contact cleaner, I use it for my traxxas as well. So, apparently you just had dirty contacts somewhere? Glad you got it working right! We need to setup an F2 hunt in O-side sometime!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like Liquid Wrench to me!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like Liquid Wrench to me!

Fletch, it sounds like a lube! contact cleaner dries instantly and is clean. Its not a lube. I believe its ethanol based. Liquid Wrench would be the worst thing to use! Especially on the beach, lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheCaribbeanDigger

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well just got home from work. I was looking for the can spray but I think got stolen...I left it out side on the driveway for a couple of days. Now I don't see it! Lol!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread