I cant believe how much I enjoy this hobby, or is it?

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't believe how much I enjoy this hobby, or is it?

I have only been detecting for a couple of months and I have found over $70.00 in clad, 3 silver rings 2 silver charms and other relics. Maybe this is newbie euphoria. I started with a Bounty hunter Quick draw 2 that I picked up on Craigslist for 75 bucks. I had always been curious about metal detecting since I was a kid but never acted on it until recently. When the guy showed up at my house with the detector, he waved a couple of coins under the coil to show it worked and I gave him the money and now I had a detector. At first I found lots of iron until I got online and learned about discrimination. I devoured the online manual. Then I started seeing coins, pulltabs, can slaw, bullets, and misc. items. I was hooked. Then the day came I found my first silver ring. It rang up like a dime and I was floored. I said this is fun. There is a whole hidden trove of things to discover that people walk over everyday that I now can see. I started to watch youtube videos of other detectorists and saw the machines they were swinging had things like ground balance for depth, pinpointing to zero in on targets, and used handheld pinpointers to really narrow down that target. So the next thing I did was get a Garrett pro-pointer. It was the best thing I could do to save myself time. I was really banging the coins now. But then I realized that my old bargain Bounty hunter was not where I wanted to be after watching others with detectors who are serious about this hobby. I would drool over minelab machines, f75s, AT golds, the Nokta golden sense. Then I would look in my pocket and see that in the real world those are out of my reach. I swear I watched every detector review on youtube and settled on the F2 as that was the best bang for my limited buck. I love the fact that it has the VID and pinpointing which makes my plugs alot smaller. I find myself driving down the road looking at places as potential detecting spots, Posting on detector forums, and watching videos of old timers. And I see myself keeping a tally of my clad waiting for it to build to the point that I can afford the Minelab, or the Fisher F75 ltd. Depth, I want more depth! My wife is supportive, but by the end she may have me committed. How many people do you know that would gain that much satisfaction digging 6" to get a zinc penny? Now I look at every pull tab nickle signal as my next gold find. Not yet but the next one will be.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Or is it what?

It's like hunting where nothing gets killed . . . except maybe a few worms.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your post was Long But I Think You Have The Fever, HH Chug and Red

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A hobby is supposed to be fun, else why do it. There is fun in the research, the finding, recording finds, etc. You really need to subscribe to Western and Eastern Treasures, magazine to read all the newest field tests. Another Bill copy.jpg

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never would have guessed you're a radio DJ! I don't know what tipped me off. Lol. Welcome aboard to the funniest hobby ever!

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! That's what my listeners said. Oh, and first Gold today! Yeah! May not be pretty but them's nuggets!

WP_20140601_002.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20140601_001.jpg
    WP_20140601_001.jpg
    510.7 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't be in a hurry to kick that F2 to the curb,yet!:laughing7:My friend and I both have F2's,plus AT Pro's, and Deus's! The other day we decided that we were going to have a contest to see who could find the most coins over a given period time, at a local park. Guess what Md we are going to be using?:laughing7:

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you like detecting, wait til you try fly fishing.

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you like detecting, wait til you try fly fishing.

I spent a good many years teaching fly fishing for a living. I officially retired from it in February of this year. I sold all my gear, fly tying materials, and everything else but the Hodgman waders (may come in handy detecting). I have many other things to do anyway.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have fly fishing gear. Waiting to go out for my first time. Still practicing my cast. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread