May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just ordered a CZ21 for my local beaches on the east coast (a few east coast vacation spots). Anyone have any tips on the machine? I am excited as this is a big upgrade from my bounty hunter tracker iv. I did a lot of research on this device and it seemed to be the perfect machine for my needs and budget. Anyway if you have any tips, please share. I plan to search dry sand, wet sand, and a few low tide spots that stretch out into the ocean under about 1-2 feet of water. Very excited to try it out this weekend after this storm passes through.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CZ-21 works just like the CZ-20. I GB in Autotune and check that every once in awhile as GB can change within feet. I usually hunt in Autotune too as that gets you deeper and a couple inches off to the side as well. Notice where the preset Sensitivity is. You don't need the extra power of maxing out Sensitivity and the Detector actually gets deeper with less. I never had a need to use the pinpoint button.

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
The CZ-21 works just like the CZ-20. I GB in Autotune and check that every once in awhile as GB can change within feet. I usually hunt in Autotune too as that gets you deeper and a couple inches off to the side as well. Notice where the preset Sensitivity is. You don't need the extra power of maxing out Sensitivity and the Detector actually gets deeper with less. I never had a need to use the pinpoint button.

Thanks! GB is new to me so thanks for the tip. I have been reading the manual and trying to figure it all out so any info helps. I assume I will definitely ground balance when going from dry, to wet, to water.

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:

So you would keep the sens at 3 in salt wetsand/water as a default? What about dry beach?

When you find a target do you just dig or do you use the disc to see if its iron or anything? Im just wondering if I should just be digging everything. In autotune will I get different tones and that is how I can tell what it is without disc?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:

so you just dig everything? Is the 0 setting in tone mode different but with tones? what do you do if you are finding iron around? for instance today i found like 3 iron pieces of junk in a row so i set to one and couldnt detect them anymore. am i sacrificing finds by doing that?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if you set disc to 1 you won't hear the small iron but naturally large iron will still set it off, like a Rolex. It depends on the amount of noise you want to hear. I sometimes hunt in 0 just to see how junky it is but Autotune is All Metal and you don't miss anything. Even earring backs and studs.

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Well if you set disc to 1 you won't hear the small iron but naturally large iron will still set it off, like a Rolex. It depends on the amount of noise you want to hear. I sometimes hunt in 0 just to see how junky it is but Autotune is All Metal and you don't miss anything. Even earring backs and studs.

so just keep it in auto tune and dig everything, unless there is tons of trash? Should I even both to check the disc when I hit or just dig? And auto tune is deeper?

*I went out this morning and have the bobbing ground balance down. Seemed to be very similar in the wet/dry sand. I also find I have no need for pinpointer button.

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of your questions will be answered with time & field use of the Cz20-21 ..a lot of info. posted by Sandman & others using the same machine is already posted in these forums...I basically started using my cz 20 in disc. & digging smaller repeatable signals..using auto tune for signal size checking..so many sites are trash laden here.. that I would recommend finding a site with lighter trash for starters ( If possible ) & dig & get familiar with the CZ21 characteristics..

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Here is what I am doing on the dry/wet sand. This might change when I venture into the water but after about 8 hours on the machine this is what I am finding is working the best for me

md.jpg

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is what I am doing on the dry/wet sand. This might change when I venture into the water but after about 8 hours on the machine this is what I am finding is working the best for me

View attachment 1019596
That's the exact way I do it in the water...except after I take one scoop off a low tone and its still low, I leave it...I don't do the disc 1 step.

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:

View attachment 1019599

Thanks, yea I am not sure if its a waste or not to do the one but I just like to see if it disappears and I guess I am still testing out the settings. Thus far everything with a low tone has been junk metal. I did an air test of a 14kt white gold wedding band and it was a high tone, so was a nickel I found. Maybe I am having trouble hearing high from mid but I am digging them all regardless.

DixieLandMan

Sep 18, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, White's MXT, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the default settings most of the time but in the water, I dig everything. It is sand and with a scoop it is easy to retrieve the target and fill the hole back in.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone use 9V rechargeables in their Cz? And are Li-ion's ok to use?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Does anyone use 9V rechargeables in their Cz? And are Li-ion's ok to use? My CZ-21 will be here Thursday, can't wait to get in swimming hole!

I have read in the forums that others are using rechargeable without issue they just dont last as long. Considering you get around 30+ hours with regular batteries I am just going with dollar store cheapies. $2 for 25-30hrs is fine for me and I dont need to worry about recharging, losing the recharger (ie having the wife or cleaning lady move it), and it doesnt take up more space in my office or garage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread