Is a F5 a F2 with knobs?

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
So basically dig everything and hope to be where there was a gold drop. I have found all of my gold so far in the nickel tab range.

Not my experience.
Not counting an earring I haven't tested yet but I think is gold, all of my gold targets dug to date in my 4.5 years swinging.
All from the dirt except one tiny foil one in beach sand...all disguised as something else...all a big surprise.

Attachments

• all gold to 7-24 with vdi.jpg
    all gold to 7-24 with vdi.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are all signals I usually dig unless I get tired then I may drop foil. I disc. out iron.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold hits as iron, foil, nickel, tabs, zinc and dimes and quarters on the really big or really pure stuff so those are the only areas you need to concentrate on.

lol...........that narrows it down. Sadly, it's true. Jewelry is all over the spectrum.

Now if it's nuggets, the F5 can and will find them even at 7.8 khz. Lower gain, higher threshold and either the 5" DD or the Goldbug 10" elliptical DD (for the usually mineralized soil), though depth suffers somewhat.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digger they should call you the Ringmaster. Watched your video on you finding the religious pendant cool find! Do you plan on making more vids? I learn a lot from them.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Phantasman! I have the 11" DD coil. Noticed I have to swing slower with the F5 to get good TID's. This thing sees everything. May in the future get the 5" DD for working the real trashy areas and try my hand at looking for nuggets.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Digger they should call you the Ringmaster. Watched your video on you finding the religious pendant cool find! Do you plan on making more vids? I learn a lot from them.

They are all here.
Some good, some boring some informative, most about the F2.
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDigger1955

I got me a GoPro camera so I could record some hunts.
People seem to like them, and I mostly do them for instructional purposes but it is nice to relive some great finds when I am lucky enough to get them on film...or really on that teeny-tiny micro sd card.
I got some of my hunt on film today and I will process it and send you the link when I am through.
Found a tiny silver ring in a huge area hunting with a sniper coil so lucky on that one, but not on film.
I also did record me getting and iffy signal I usually don't dig but it sounded great and I did dig a wheaty, plus a couple of quarter coin spills one after another.
The camera looks stupid on my head when I wear it but it works great so I will try to wear it more and maybe capture some more great things if I can.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will be looking forward to the video. I always learn so much. Thanks!

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
A great video on supertuning the Garrett Propointer. I never knew that. I don't have a Pro P but want one now.

Plus, I'm coming over for pancakes. :laughing7:

Ahhh...The pancake video.
On another forum I am on we had a member called Coin_Master...a young kid in his teens or early 20's, all messed up and a real piece of work
Drove everyone crazy with his stupid threads, posts and opinions, always asking for advice for ridiculous personal problems, and a whole bunch of other garbage.
Sold some coins to other members and took his time sending them out, then some of the packages came ripped with coins missing, and a whole bunch of other issues.
We weren't even sure he ever detected because he rarely talked a bout that.
I thought he was hilariously stupid and immature, but he sure drove a huge amount of members crazy.
Eventually he was banned, but before that happened I took this vid of me cooking pancakes because he was complaining about burning his when he tried.
Don't think it helped him much, however, nothing we ever told or advised him to do did.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I liked your video of finding the gold religious medallion. I could see it hit you as you had to sit down to take it in. That and hitting your goal of 12 gold in a season before the snow flies. I was there rooting for you. That salesman ring was a heart stopper. But didn't stop you from reaching your goal. :notworthy:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Yep!
I love what I find every season...it's all good, but I set a ridiculous goal every year just to have something to shoot for.
You know what they say...
"Shoot for the moon...fall among the stars".
This year the goal is a gold coin.
Farfetched, but we will see.

By last March in 2013, with much warmer weather and less snow than this year, I had already found 3 gold targets.
That is when I just decided to go for 12 pieces of gold before New Years Day.
Crazy goal, I only hunt in the dirt and never found more than 6 before in my best year, but a goal is a goal and it kept me motivated and on point.
As the months went on it actually dawned on me this is doable and possible, but number 12 was the toughest.
That salesman's sample low karat gold class ring I can't count because it is less than 10k and that was a heart breaker at almost #12.
Marked 14k but it doesn't test right at even 10k.
Not plated like many of these sample rings usually are, but low karat and I think it is 6 or 8K at the most and in Germany 8k is popular, in most of the rest of the world it is not so it doesn't count.
2 days later just before the bad weather set in I found that 14k white and yellow gold beauty.
Still have to test it further because it actually might be 18k and platinum instead.
Somebody told me they found a ring that a friend lost that looked exactly like mine, odd shape and all.
18k and platinum on that one so I have hope.
The girl that tested it was not in sight when she did and might have only tested to 14k, or it came in higher and didn't want me to know.
She was very anxious to buy it off me on the spot for $80...I said thanks but no thanks.
Hitting that unbelievable goal was my greatest accomplishment ever in this hobby...I don't expect that to happen again and I am not even going to try.

I might have found 13 pieces of gold, actually.
In October, on the day I found number 10 in a park near a tot lot I also found this old earring that I need to test.
When is the last time you saw one of these screw on pin back types?
It was pretty deep, came up clean as heck and the rocks are fake but it might be gold.

We will see.

By the way...
Every one of those 13 pieces were found withe F2 and sniper coil except for August which was in a wide open huge area but still sniffed out by my Vaq when I was just messing around with a new sniper coil, December's was found with the new F70 on only my second or third hunt, and the rolled gold pocket watch, (which is 100 times thicker gold than just plated so it counts), was with the F2 but I had the 10" concentric coil mounted which I rarely used.
I think at the least it is rolled gold...I can't unscrew the thing to get the back off to check the date on the movement and and look for a mark, but it is too pretty to take a hammer to it to get it open.
That signal was in an area I hunted plenty of times before, and this was huge...a classic full can signal all the way.
I think I got this signal many times before but passed it by on several previous hunts because I just knew it was a can, but this hunt I dug it just to get it out of the way and see if it was masking something...big surprise.
The January ring is the nicest I have ever found to this point.
2 different jewelers said these diamonds were all pretty good quality and this was a $1299 in any jewelry store in the land if new.
They both said I can easily sell it for about $600-$700 used as a fair price for both parties.
When I dug it I saw those round diamonds easily...when I took it home and cleaned it I discovered those square pieces dividing them were not gold and part of the ring design but diamond baggets instead.
Another surprise...and I love surprises.

Add em up, even at melt I think I paid for my $200 F2 pretty easily.
People still sometimes say they think the F2 is "only" a beginners detector.
I still laugh.

Attachments

• earring.jpg
    earring.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Quest for gold 2013.jpg
    Quest for gold 2013.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 100
  • P1040909.jpg
    P1040909.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are a F2 guru. I liked mine ok, but when I saw the F5 for the first time it was love at first sight. I love how everything is there and can adjust on the fly according to soil conditions with ground balance (makes a big difference in my soil.) and the more accurate target ID. Just got rechargeable batteries for it. Now I won't have to keep buying alkalines for it. Your goal is a gold coin. Mine is a class ring.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those usually fall in the zinc range huh?

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I don't blame you one bit for upgrading, most of us seem to do it and playing with toys with more knobs whistles and bells and all that is even more fun.

I have dug four class rings so far.
All were large mens 10k, they all came in between 48_52 on the F2 and my F70 so they should be about the same on your F5.
Smaller woman's rings could come lower, silver rings will of course come in higher.
Different gold class rings that are higher karat could come in higher than those numbers too.
If it is solid, dig it... that's my motto.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Switching already? You just got the F2 working, no?
If you have to upgrade look at the Euro Pro, or the F70.
When I upgraded I went all in on a F75 SE.
It was cheaper in the long run as opposed to moving up one unit at a time, like F5, then F70.
I am now considering selling my Compadre and Ace 350 and getting a Eurotech Pro.
That would be fun and my final purchase. lol

How long do you have left,sorry to hear its terminal,last detector..It must be very bad,be brave and just go to the light..:sadsmiley:

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol- Almost bought a Mine Lab 505 today. Maybe that was going to be my last purchase? (According to my wife)
Is that terminal?

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh,wife disease,I don't know what say..R.I.P

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At least with ebola ya got a 50-50 shot,,:laughing9:

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They don't even share the same coils,so no...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread