Is a F5 a F2 with knobs?

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am thinking of upgrading my F2 to a F5. Is it worth it or am I getting a F2 with ground balance and a lot of knobs?

It's an F2 with a true all metal mode, adjustable threshold, adjustable ground balance, a better stock coil, and more tone options as well as a display that gives you a lot more information.

No, it is not an F2 :)

Last edited:

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Switching already? You just got the F2 working, no?
If you have to upgrade look at the Euro Pro, or the F70.
When I upgraded I went all in on a F75 SE.
It was cheaper in the long run as opposed to moving up one unit at a time, like F5, then F70.
I am now considering selling my Compadre and Ace 350 and getting a Eurotech Pro.
That would be fun and my final purchase. lol

Last edited:

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taking bets here...All bets will be covered on the outcome and truth of this statement!:laughing7:
Maybe I should have Qualified that for "This YEAR" :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The reason I am going to the F5 so quickly, was because I did not see a dramatic performance increase with the upgrade. As I have mentioned before the ability to ground balance is very important with my soil as there is a lot of mineralization, EMI and almost impossible to get a accurate target ID unless it was very close to the surface. All metal for prospecting is another feature I have found I want. The addition of a DD coil really didn't address any of those issues I was having. I found that my bounty hunter was more accurate, why I don't know. So I am going to give Fisher and the F5 another try and see if I get better results. I know that learning how to use the tool is as important as the detector. I just want to know I have the best tool I can afford to learn on.

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, don't sweat it. I was teasing a bit since I went thru a rapid up grade on equipment myself. Sound like you have good reason and are doing well in this hobby. HH

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really do want to do well. I am hooked and am trying to soak up all the knowledge I can from the old timers in this hobby and get out as much as possible. the next 4 days I will probably average 6 hours of detecting a day. I am grateful that I have such access to people with so much experience here. Almost everyone I have talked to here has bent over backwards to help me as I learn, and always have had words of encouragement.

IBdiggin

Mar 21, 2013
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70,Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250, 2 Garrett pro-pointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only comparison anyone could make between the F2 and F5 is the shape of the control unit. The F5 is very capable and performs more like the higher end models and in some situations maybe even better. I would have no problem including an F5 in my arsenal right along with my F70.
Nice thing about the F series is the language you've learned on the early models will transfer nicely to your upgrade models. Target ID's are only a best guess tool. Reoccurring stable numbers and tones along with confidence and iron meters will add a whole new dimension to your identification abilities. Hope this helps------------IB

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks IBdiggin!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I have had some contact with several hunters that upgraded from the F2/F4 platform to the F5 and have read posts from many more.
Sometimes it is a smooth transition, but sometimes the advanced features and the amount of settings available has thrown a few new F5 owners for a loop.
I know one that loved and got very good with the F2, upgraded to the F5 on my recommendation and kept sending me PM's about how unhappy and frustrated he was.
At the 2 week mark he was ready to throw this thing into a lake and be done with it.
I kept telling him to stay with it, the learning curve is not the same as it was with the much more simpler F2 but his patience would be rewarded.
He did and not soon after he settled down and everything fell into place and now he loves it and has found some great things and still uses both units but the F5 is his prime and he is very happy he upgraded.

If you really want one there is lots of info out there.
The best is what we call "The F5 Bible", which is a compulation of tips and tricks put together by a guy named Sven who took all the info he could find posted by a very capable and successful hunter named Mike Hillis.
He is a guru with many detectors the F5 included.
You want to get into the F5 or just know how it works...a must read.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/r2mm2fv2ymt7ose/F5+HUNTING+TIPS.doc

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you so much! I will study this. digger you always come through.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The F2 is a turn on and go.WYSIWYG. The F5 is an information powerhouse that has to be set up for what your conditions are, to extract what you are looking for. The F5 has the power that the higher priced F70/F75 units do, IMO. For mineralized ground, it holds it's own (with the 11" DD coil). The controls offer a separate gain and threshold (ability to under or over tune the signal processors). You will find that you can make the unit hot enough to detect gold, even at 7.8 khz, or tone it down for relics (coins are a gimme for the F5). In AM, I can detect a quarter at 12". The ID doesn't say quarter, but the threshold hum gives a distinct waver. At 8-9 " the ID segment will distinguish quarter as well as the numeric ID. This is with the 11" DD coil, and the coin flat. If the coin is on side, expect 7" in DISC.

I've had mine for about 8 years, and nothing that has come out lately impresses me enough to give it up. IMO, the ETP isn't going to give you much more than the F2. The F5 will let you command the ground, as well as the information for a target.

Attached is a Joan Allen report, and you can get a great idea of the F5 abilities at my friend Mark's site http://detectorstuff.com/fisher-f5-long-review-features-breakdown/

Attachments

• joanallen F5 field test.pdf
    867.1 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info Phantasman! It is very informative. Got my F5 yesterday and am loving it.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have gone out a couple of time now and really do like the control and ground balance. Also am liking all metal mode. Much more accurate TID's. This aint no beginner machine. Really can customize it for the way you want to hunt. Love how it also has a larger nickel window for gold. Can run it hot for deeper targets. I am happy I took the leap.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good for you, Mike. I usually run mine Gain 80, Threshold -1`and turn disc until Iron is out. The only time consumer is to turn disc to AM and GB first. (sometimes I don't even GB since my soil runs at 80 and the unit comes up at 82.) I use 4 tones to distinguish nickels. My FE always runs VL. So it's a breeze for me. Others with high FE takes a little extra time, but worth it.

I spoke to Mike (Hillis) the other day. He is really getting into the F19. But will he use it over his F5? (doubt it).

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From the videos I have seen, the F19 looks like a glorified gold bug 2. Wasn't impressed. As far as the F5, I noticed that your tones are quieter the lower your gain. Managed to run gain at 75, discrimination -2. My soil is medium to high mineralization. Found about 5 bucks in clad and a copper ring. No gold with it yet. Just want to find some so I know what it hits as.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Gold hits as iron, foil, nickel, tabs, zinc and dimes and quarters on the really big or really pure stuff so those are the only areas you need to concentrate on.
All of mine have been mostly solid repeatable hits so dig those signals always.
A few were masked a bit so a little iffy but there was always a solid tone in there somewhere that made me dig.
All of mine have been 6" or less...really deep ones or some chains may well jump a bunch.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions