Are there any differences in the F series DD coils?

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
The F70/F75 coils are interchangeable, as are the F2/F4 coils.
The F5 coils fit the F5.
Some companies make it easy to use coils within their family units, Teknetics has a few models in different price ranges that can get away with this like the Euro Tek Pro can use coils from upgraded detectors...Some brands you can't do this at all.
Sometimes you can get away with using parts from close cousins, like Bounty Hunter and Fisher are made by the same company, they are separate but under the large First Texas umbrella, and a few models kinda crossover and are similar in some respects, but you might have pin configurations and frequency differences to worry about if you try.
I have always bought factory coils made for my specific units and I never worry about not hunting at optimum levels and efficiency.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So digger you saying the pin configurations are different. I want to know if the internals of the coils and their performance are different. Because from the outside I cannot tell any difference. Also when bought separately they cost the same.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Yes they are different, made for different machines, tuned to different frequencies and optimized to work on specific units with their own particular programmed circuit boards.
Looks are deceiving, internally they are not the same.
Except for those examples I mentioned about detectors that share the same platforms like the F2 and the F4, they generally won't interchange and might not work very well or as accurately if you do figure out a way to mount a different coil outside the factory recommendations.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the explanation digger!

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I had my Teknetics Omega 8000, I put my 11" DD coil from my F-75 on it and it actually was deeper on that machine than the F-75. I tried the same coil on my F2 but it would not work. Same thing when I tried the 4" sniper coil from the F2 on the F-75, it would not work either. The pin configs were the same but the frequencies would not match.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The F70/F75 coils are interchangeable, as are the F2/F4 coils.
The F5 coils fit the F5.
Some companies make it easy to use coils within their family units, Teknetics has a few models in different price ranges that can get away with this like the Euro Tek Pro can use coils from upgraded detectors...Some brands you can't do this at all.
Sometimes you can get away with using parts from close cousins, like Bounty Hunter and Fisher are made by the same company, they are separate but under the large First Texas umbrella, and a few models kinda crossover and are similar in some respects, but you might have pin configurations and frequency differences to worry about if you try.
I have always bought factory coils made for my specific units and I never worry about not hunting at optimum levels and efficiency.

I would like to add that the F5 coils are interchangeable on the F70 and F75.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread