Cute story about digging those solid signals with the F Series detectors....

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
We had our club meeting yesterday at a park in Kansas City that goes way back to the 1890's.
Hunted a ton, of course, and I haven't heard of a silver coin coming out of here by any members for awhile but they are probably still around.
Some very old wheaties are still being found, a few members found some yesterday, and there is probably more cool older coins so I go back here from time to time.
Lots of action in this park, concerts, baseball games, people just hanging out all over the place and even though there is over 100 years of trash here there is probably also a ton of jewelry around here too, I bet, so I try to find some every time I visit.
A few members have hit the area where people hang out for concerts and have found many great rings in the past that I know about for sure, but other areas can have some hiding
So far I have just found a few junker rings in the jewelry area, but I believe there are plenty more made of more precious metals here and I assume they can be anywhere.

So we hunted the area around our meeting site for 2 hours and nobody found a ring of any kind.
Maybe 25-30 people at the meeting so that is strange but it happens.
I got there late and in about 1 1/2 hours only found about $2 in clad.

We ate, had our meeting and most went home but a few hung around and one guy has had an F2 for a few months but he is struggling and I sent him a ton of info about the F2 on forums that I have written about that great thing in the past and how I use it but it didn't seem to help much so I have told him for awhile I can show him a few things and try to help him out and today was the day.
He hunted for 2 hours today before the meeting, walked all over a large area and found a total of 9 coins and a bunch of trash.
Even though he also owns and swings an MXT he says he loves this F2, (lighter!), but he is a little frustrated when he uses it because his good finds are sparse.
He had some major leg surgery last year and it is hard for him to get up and down so it is important that I show him ways to spend energy to find good targets and dig the least trash as possible.
He had the sniper coil mounted, (yea!), and I watched what he did and told him to slow down his swing, I took over and showed him how to center targets under the coil center with short quick swipes, how to use the pinpointer efficiently to really zero in on targets and then do those swipes and try to get targets to not jump so much to figure out what is trash and what is good.
I swung over a few different targets that were jumpy and told him this was usually trash, and on about 3 targets I called trash and even took a guess on what kind of trash and I was correct every time. (probably just lucky).
I got an 85 solid signal on his F2 and I called quarter, even though quarters on my F2 are usually 80-82.
For some reason F2's are all a bit different out of the factory this way, but I know a quarter tone on the F2 in my bones so I dug it and showed him the quarter.
Then I said I am keeping it and he said fine as long as I consider this as payment for the private lessons so I guess now I am a professional.
Another member was also watching because he was thinking about getting an F2 so I was just going through the things that I do and explaining why I do it that way to both of them.
I handed the F2 back to the owner and let him go and he took what I showed him and ran with it well.
He got some jumpy signals that he could not calm down to a 2 number jump like I like to do and called trash and was actually happy it was trash when he dug them.
Then he found a signal he was able to stay stable and called a coin and dug one, then another, and another, then he saw another solid 85 signal called a quarter and dug one and he was on his way.
Over the next 45 minutes he didn't wander all over but stayed mostly in a small area under the shade of a large tree where we were all hanging out and dug a little trash and 35 coins.
He seemed very happy.
Throughout this time during his lesson and after he took the machine back I also expounded to him and the other guy about digging rings and jewelry and why I dig all solid targets that have no more than a two number jump no matter what areas they come in most of the time on the F2, maybe 3 number jumps on the F70.
They both know I dig a lot of jewelry and rings, and seemed interested in how I dig not only the silver ones but more than my share of gold too.
I think they have both dug a few rings but not a lot of them in the past.
I don't know how many times I mentioned that I learn my detectors as well as I can and still dig a lot trash but only the solid signals.
Dig solid signals no matter where they come in...could be gold.
Dig all solid signals
Dig all solid signals
I mentioned how I sure could be missing some good targets that are jumpy but I have a good amount of confidence that I am not and I don't know about the things I don't dig anyway and I am satisfied on the amount of things I do find so that are my rules and I usually stick to them.

So the F2 guy went off hunting some more, another friend that swings Tesoro's was there too and he also has an F2 but at the time he was messing around with an ATP Pro he also bought, and the other guy went to his truck to get some water and was giving some directions to some lady that walked by and asked.
Finally I had a little time to put my headphones on, fire up the F70 and the sniper and got one more chance to find some jewelry before I went home.

Now this is the funny part...

I took a few swings, got some jumpy trash signals every time, couldn't calm them down so I kept moving.
About 5 feet away from my starting point I got a solid 31 on the screen, nice tone, and no matter what I did it stayed a 31.
No 2 number or 3 number jump...31-31-31.
Ok I figure it is still trash, a ton of compacted balls of foil around here exactly the same as this signal and beaver tail tab tails and other trash all over but my rule is my rule so I gotta bend over and dig it.
My first signal dug on session # 2 of the day.
Only a couple inches down so I stuck my Lesche in the dirt, flipped over a little shallow plug and looked and in the dirt there was a ring.
ERP!
Looked like white gold to me, definitely not silver coming in at that 31, definitely could be gold coming in at that 31.
Talk about pure luck!
I flipped the top of the plug back over and stood up and called all three guys back over to my area.
They all knew I found something cool but I was having fun so I stretched it out a little longer.
They asked me what I found and I said "Remember what I was saying about digging all solid signals?"
I told them this was the first signal I dug after skipping some trash targets, and it was a nickel signal but not really, one number off which is usually trash for me and swung the coil over the signal and showed them all that solid 31.
Then I bent down and flipped the plug back over and the ring had fallen a little deeper into the hole so I dug the tip of the Lesche back in the dirt, flipped my wrist and the thing popped to the surface and landed on top of the overturned top of the plug.
They all looked at this thing and I know they all took a breath.
I said it could be gold coming in at that number and picked it up.
The F2 guy said, "Put it back...put it back...put it back, I wanna get a picture!", and took out his cell phone.
At this point I had the weird feeling that these guys were looking at me like I was the main attraction of the second coming.
Inside I was cracking up.
I picked it up after the pic, couldn't wait to check inside and find a mark, and pushed the dirt out of the middle and looked.
The outside was matte looking but the inside was strangely shiny like high polished silver and the weight didn't feel right...not heavy enough for gold.
Couldn't find a mark and the AT Pro guy took it and looked and said he did see something but couldn't read it.
I took it back and got out the trusty and invaluable $3 double loupe from Harbor Freight I always carry just for these situations and took another look.
Inside was inscribed in worn and faded but still legible letters, Boccia Titanium.
Aww, not gold but still cool.
I get the feeling that if this thing was gold in the annals of stories about our club hunts I might have had the chance to become...
LEGEN...wait for it...DARY!

Still, they seem impressed, the whole situation had me in stitches and no better way to put a cherry on the top of all that advice I kept telling them about digging those solid signals no matter what.
Everybody was starting to pack up and go home before this ring find, but they all of a sudden got energized and went back on the hunt looking for more rings for some reason.
I was still cracking up.

It was a fun day.
Had a chance to help someone out and really start enjoying swinging the F2, maybe got another future F2 owner to join the ranks and proved a point in a big way.

Attachments

• titanium.jpg
    titanium.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 402

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They should call you the ringmaster.:notworthy:

sycotoad

Jul 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great story - Karma to those that take time out to help - Your one of those good guys we here so much about - Great stuff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread