Which one should i use???

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Learned on Bounty Hunter Junior, then Tracker IV, and now using the Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kay so I found a lot of coins with the sniper cool I found pennies nickels dimes quarters. Tried the 8 inch and it didn't find anything just pull tabs. So I was going to ask what coil should I use when I go to a park? Which can detect deeper and is constituent and accurate with the id on the screen? Thanks a lot! :)

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hasn't been made yet. VDI is a guess. Parks are dirty, small coil is best. Go by sound, use vdi sparingly. Depth doesnt suffer much. Run the sens low as you get a beep. Good luck.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I have used the sniper, the 8" and the 10" at parks.
I have found coins, silver and gold with all of them.
The bigger the coil the deeper it should go with good ID's at depth.
I have found a ton and almost all of it was mostly 5-6" or less.
All my coils will hit that mark.
Sniper coils have found me more overall than bigger coils.
Coils aren't magic, detectors aren't magic, the magic is in the person behind those tools and their commitment to learning how to best understand those tools and use them to their advantage.
No matter what they are.

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coils aren't magic, detectors aren't magic, the magic is in the person behind those tools and their commitment to learning how to best understand those tools and use them to their advantage.
No matter what they are.

Amen.:headbang:

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used the sniper, the 8" and the 10" at parks. I have found coins, silver and gold with all of them. The bigger the coil the deeper it should go with good ID's at depth. I have found a ton almost of it was mostly 5-6" or less. All my coils will hit that mark. Sniper coils have found me more overall than bigger coils. Coils aren't magic, detectors aren't magic, the magic is in the person behind those tools and their commitment to learning how to best understand those tools and use them to their advantage. No matter what they are.

Okay I'll use the 8 inch coil this time today at the park where I hunted before with the 4 inch and tell you what I missed.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot depends on the park and how many people are usually around. Digger may live in a highly populated area that see's more trash that he has to dig through. He uses the advantage of the 4" coil to fine tune his hunt. My town of 15,000 people doesn't produce as much trash as, say, Cleveland, Ohio's parks. The 8" works right for me because hits are usually singled 3 to 6 feet apart, and it's rare to find two hits close together. Plus I never have EMI issues. In my one hour hunt on the "F2 Help" page, you can see that I didn't get as much as others who hunt for an hour and get 3 times the coins, even with a smaller coil.

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot depends on the park and how many people are usually around. Digger may live in a highly populated area that see's more trash that he has to dig through. He uses the advantage of the 4" coil to fine tune his hunt. My town of 15,000 people doesn't produce as much trash as, say, Cleveland, Ohio's parks. The 8" works right for me because hits are usually singled 3 to 6 feet apart, and it's rare to find two hits close together. Plus I never have EMI issues. In my one hour hunt on the "F2 Help" page, you can see that I didn't get as much as others who hunt for an hour and get 3 times the coins, even with a smaller coil.

So the smaller coil is better?

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011

3-6' apart?
I find denser trash in the wide open areas at all my parks.
At the trashier areas, picnic pavilions, basketball and volleyball court perimeters, it is more like either right on top of each other or at the most 1-2"...if I am lucky.

I have read posts from hunters that complain up and down that in their parks they get trash signals every 2-3'.
I just laugh and laugh.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, embarrassing, isn't it.

I am 6'2", so my swing is pretty wide. I can walk a few steps and hit a target, and walk another few steps and hit another. One at the left, the next on the right. Now around bleachers, there would be my 4". But my parks don't have them. The hill slants away from the park in most cases and people bring chairs and blankets. Richard (Backwoods Detectors) lives 2 miles from me. I believe he travels to hunt (where the mucho targets are). ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread