F2 help please

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Learned on Bounty Hunter Junior, then Tracker IV, and now using the Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everybody. So I got the f2 about three weeks ago. And was wondering at a 1900's homesite should you use the 8 or the 4" coil? Because my house was built in 1895. And all I found was iron and memorial pennies (copper). And two wheat cents that's it. Why am I not finding silver? What do you need to set the detector on? Please help. I know that I should have silver somewhere if my house was built in 1895. Is the f2 capable of detecting silver coins? Please help. Thanks a lot in advance!!!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Its possible there is no silver at your location. I too own an old house (1910) and found out recently that before I owned it back in the nineties, the former owner would let people detect on it. so I count my blessings when I get a old wheatie or buffalo nick. People forget the sport does go back a ways. I remember learning from my uncle using an old Red Baron in the 80's. The F-2 is a 5.9 frequency, and will blow out an ear drum on silver coins when it hits them, so its not the machine or the coil, air test with different coins to check things out, remember the readings and then go from there. Good luck!!

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Another principle of thought here for ya. I have the main Pioneer river crossings (California and Oregon trail) almost in my back yard, and people have used everything from sifting dirt to using metal detectors to skinning off the top layers of soil with a tractor, all in the name of looking for a trophy, has been done for years, and years before that. Your better off to do some research, and locate a place few may know of or are aware of. please get proper permission to detect any location.

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys.

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am just wondering because i even got permission from my neighbors her house was built in 1887 even eariler then my house and still didnt find any silver. im thinking fisher f2 is incapable of finding silver? I have no idea.

Its possible there is no silver at your location. I too own an old house (1910) and found out recently that before I owned it back in the nineties, the former owner would let people detect on it. so I count my blessings when I get a old wheatie or buffalo nick. People forget the sport does go back a ways. I remember learning from my uncle using an old Red Baron in the 80's. The F-2 is a 5.9 frequency, and will blow out an ear drum on silver coins when it hits them, so its not the machine or the coil, air test with different coins to check things out, remember the readings and then go from there. Good luck!!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I am just wondering because i even got permission from my neighbors her house was built in 1887 even eariler then my house and still didnt find any silver. im thinking fisher f2 is incapable of finding silver? I have no idea.

The F2 is very capable of finding silver...many owners do it all the time.
YOU are not capable of finding silver, yet.
Learn your machine, pick good spots, stop making me laugh.

I sent you a ton of info on using the F2.
Read it and keep hunting, there are basics you need to learn about detectors, about targets and especially how to use the F2.

You got yours on the 23rd, it is now 9 days later, you have had almost no hunting time and now you wonder if it is the machine because you can't find silver?
You have no idea how ridiculous that sounds.

You either watched shows on tv and believed what you saw, or you watched youtube videos and believe that everyone that finds great things did that from the first hunt.
It doesn't work that way.
You have no skills and no clue....get one.

Silver will come when you are ready to find it.
Almost any detectors and coils can do that if the person standing behind them learns what they need to know.
I would do that first, worry about what you will find later.
It will all come if you have patience, if you don't you are going to burn out fast.
Your choice...choose wisely.

Last edited:

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took me 3 years to find gold. Cannot even remember how long for silver. You need to give it time and spend many hours learning your machine first. The finds will come in due time. The F2 will find it as many of us owners are proof. As was stated, it is entirely possible that there is none at the site however given your experience levels I am more inclined to say it is you and not the machine.

Happy Hunting!

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A little harsh, but well said, Digger.

How many times have we heard of people jumping on the MD bandwagon because they think metal detectors find treasure? It finds junk, lots of it, as well as treasures. If the ground was filled with treasure, everyone would be buying cheap detectors to get their fair share. Sometimes I feel people don't respect the hobby, they just want to get rich quick. It takes some time before you get to know what sounds (looks) good to dig and what doesn't. But that comes from many many times of experiencing the frustrated digs from the profitable ones. And THAT takes time and patience.

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A little harsh, but well said, Digger. How many times have we heard of people jumping on the MD bandwagon because they think metal detectors find treasure? It finds junk, lots of it, as well as treasures. If the ground was filled with treasure, everyone would be buying cheap detectors to get their fair share. Sometimes I feel people don't respect the hobby, they just want to get rich quick. It takes some time before you get to know what sounds (looks) good to dig and what doesn't. But that comes from many many times of experiencing the frustrated digs from the profitable ones. And THAT takes time and patience.[/QUOTE

Thanks! :) I just can't believe I was AT my house 1895 and found nothing :(

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It could have been hunted already.

Top Member Reactions