NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Learned on Bounty Hunter Junior, then Tracker IV, and now using the Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
If you lift that coil up high and water runs up the poles it will get into the box and fry your electronics.
If you drop it in the water even for a second same thing.
In either case that bag is not going to help you, and neither will Fisher because any accidents you have near, around or especially in any water will void your warranty.

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you lift that coil up high and water runs up the poles it will get into the box and fry your electronics. If you drop it in the water even for a second same thing. In either case that bag is not going to help you, and neither will Fisher because any accidents you have near, around or especially in any water will void your warranty.

Okay thanks. Did you ever try water hunting? Find anything good? I have a park around me and it's lisle a little creek so I was just wondering thanks again :)

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Diggers right. I have heard horror stories about water in non water type detectors. I wouldn't even chance it, though I have used the coil along creek beds. I just don't submerge it into the water.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many land detectors that can be hip mounted are excellent for wading.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I used the F2 a bit in small creeks in parks from the bank and scanned the edge of the water if it wasn't too deep and I could reach in and dig targets.
Mostly junk, a few coins, the best thing I ever found was an Alabama tax token that either fell in there or washed down from somewhere else and was probably in the water for about 70-80 years.

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used the F2 a bit in small creeks in parks from the bank and scanned the edge of the water if it wasn't too deep and I could reach in and dig targets. Mostly junk, a few coins, the best thing I ever found was an Alabama tax token that either fell in there or washed down from somewhere else and was probably in the water for about 70-80 years.

That's cool!!! Should I hunt like the little creeks at the local parks? Or like what kind of creeks do you hunt? And I would want to do the creeks where you can just reach in and grab it too.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you lift that coil up high and water runs up the poles it will get into the box and fry your electronics.
If you drop it in the water even for a second same thing.
In either case that bag is not going to help you, and neither will Fisher because any accidents you have near, around or especially in any water will void your warranty.

101....read this again please

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
101....read this again please

I understand I mean to go in creeks the ones that are less than your ankles how deep the water I'm not going in 3 feet of water or something....

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To me, I think Digger is hinting at staying on dry land until you learn your detector (and detecting). It's safer right now.

You're asking so many questions about hunting, it's best NOT to enter the area's where extreme care needs to be observed yet.

Just saying.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To me, I think Digger is hinting at staying on dry land until you learn your detector (and detecting). It's safer right now. You're asking so many questions about hunting, it's best NOT to enter the area's where extreme care needs to be observed yet. Just saying.....

I'm pretty sure I can handle a small creek that's 2 inches deep of water lol just saying

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm pretty sure I can handle a small creek that's 2 inches deep of water lol just saying

I know it sounds easy, but it's actually a real pain the butt. Keeping the detector dry while you're swinging is just half the battle. Keeping it dry while you (try to) locate the target is the difficult part.

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used my F2 in Lake Michigan. I went in to just past my knees and when I had a hit, I would have one of my kids stand right in that spot. I would put my metal detector on dry land and go digging. I found a few coins but it was still pretty risky.

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know it sounds easy, but it's actually a real pain the butt. Keeping the detector dry while you're swinging is just half the battle. Keeping it dry while you (try to) locate the target is the difficult part.

My mom and me hunt together for "bonding time" I swing the detector while she dogs then when she's done digging I find the target with the pinpointer haha :)

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My mom and me hunt together for "bonding time" I swing the detector while she dogs then when she's done digging I find the target with the pinpointer haha :)

Oh, that's awesome! You shouldn't have any issue hunting shallow creeks :)

Good luck!

OP
OP
T

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know haha :) thanks good luck to you too!!! :)

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would weigh what I have to gain against what I have to lose. My detector wins all the time. I put plastic on my detector if there is a chance of rain and if it does, I cut my hunt short. Just not worth the risk of frying my machine. I can wait for a sunny day. I too have been seduced by the opportunities of water hunting, but I don't have a water machine. Need the right tool for the right job.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread