handyman007

Apr 28, 2014
Cyprus
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-20, Infinium
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi, Guys! Of course, I know, that coils for CZ-21 is now hardwired, the same for CZ-20. I have (or had) CZ-20 with 8 inches coil, and bought 12 inches Sunray coil for CZ series. The seller told me, its working and matching well, but I need a connector. I bought a waterproof 4-pin connector, cut the wire and connect 8 and 12 inches coils. Both works great! I tested it a dozen of times on air, and after that I put my detector in the ocean with new 12`` coil. It gave me to dig two targets and die on third. Now I have just a sound for everything-like a sound from big and close target. The unit doesn't work. Just a question-is it because I connect wrong coil? p.s.-the connector is dry, and the unit is doesn't work with original coil too.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like its not water proof where you cut the lines...it worked fine until you put it under water...how did you waterproof the cut wires?

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for giving up on me and posting in the forum (seriously). Something was wrong with the PM software and several attempts to reply to your PM failed. I wasn't ignoring you, the problem was that the customary means of communicating with a forum member weren't working in this case.

I can't diagnose the problem from here, but it most likely involves leakage of saltwater into a place that it doesn't belong. Realistically speaking, this means one of three options.

1. Into the dumpster.

2. Get both creative and lucky and come up with a reasonably inexpensive home-brew fix.

3. Send it in to the factory. Inasmuch as there is no way to repair it other than to convert it to a CZ-21, it's gonna cost you. I think that's a standard fee, but I may be mistaken. Since the searchcoil cable was intentionally damaged, you're probably in for a replacement searchcoil as well.

I realize that at the time you did this experiment, it all seemed like a good idea. Unfortunately, making things waterproof is far more difficult that most people realize.

--Dave J.

OP
OP
H

handyman007

Apr 28, 2014
Cyprus
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-20, Infinium
Primary Interest:
Sounds like its not water proof where you cut the lines...it worked fine until you put it under water...how did you waterproof the cut wires?

Hi! I bought 2 connectors on E-bay, 4 pin, male-female, water protection code IP68. you can see it here

M14 4-Pin Electrical Cord Connector Plug Socket IP68 Waterproof

OP
OP
H

handyman007

Apr 28, 2014
Cyprus
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-20, Infinium
Primary Interest:
Thanks for giving up on me and posting in the forum (seriously). Something was wrong with the PM software and several attempts to reply to your PM failed. I wasn't ignoring you, the problem was that the customary means of communicating with a forum member weren't working in this case.

I can't diagnose the problem from here, but it most likely involves leakage of saltwater into a place that it doesn't belong. Realistically speaking, this means one of three options.

1. Into the dumpster.

2. Get both creative and lucky and come up with a reasonably inexpensive home-brew fix.

3. Send it in to the factory. Inasmuch as there is no way to repair it other than to convert it to a CZ-21, it's gonna cost you. I think that's a standard fee, but I may be mistaken. Since the searchcoil cable was intentionally damaged, you're probably in for a replacement searchcoil as well.

I realize that at the time you did this experiment, it all seemed like a good idea. Unfortunately, making things waterproof is far more difficult that most people realize.

--Dave J.

Thanks for your response Dave! I already contacted the Fisher Lab, they said me the same- `we are not repair the CZ-20 anymore and only way to repair your unit is converted it to CZ-21` the minimum price is $300. I bought another CZ-20 on E-bay yesterday for $460 with 10 inches coil, and will try to sell my broken unit with 2 coils as a parts. When I bought 12`` Sunray coil for my Fisher my only goal was DEEP search under water, but looks like connection non-original coil to Fisher CZ-20/21 required some adjustments inside the control box (probably it calls `calibration`). I`m not an electronic guy, I have no special equipment for it, if anybody has positive experience with Fisher CZ20/21 plus Sunray 12`` coil- welcome to this topic!

OP
OP
H

handyman007

Apr 28, 2014
Cyprus
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-20, Infinium
Primary Interest:
One more-as I told, I tested my Fisher with 8 and 12 inches coils on air, and I was surprised -actually I didn't see any difference for the same target. May be because it is air test, not in salt ground, may be other reason. And-my waterproof connector had no water inside, I check it immediately after I had a problem. Looks like the problem in the sensitivity sensor.

OP
OP
H

handyman007

Apr 28, 2014
Cyprus
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-20, Infinium
Primary Interest:
The happy end, Guys! I fixed my detector! The problem was in the connector-just a short. Not a water damage...Will let you know the difference between 8,10 and 12 inches coils. Now I have all!

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The happy end, Guys! I fixed my detector! The problem was in the connector-just a short. Not a water damage...Will let you know the difference between 8,10 and 12 inches coils. Now I have all!
That's great news...glad you got it figured out.

OP
OP
H

handyman007

Apr 28, 2014
Cyprus
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-20, Infinium
Primary Interest:
Yes! I was upset, and bought another CZ-20 with 10 inches coil, but I`m not worry, I like these detectors. Now I have 2 Fishers CZ-20, 3 coils for it and the Sand Shark with 8`` coil. Just for price of brand new Excalibur-2. ))

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good to hear the issues is solved....but

I'm surprised it works because I have used several inline connectors on a few machines and what happens in saltwater (when submerged) if there is a hint of SW between the contacts it will false. (saltwater shorts out the connection) And 99% of the connectors that are ip68 are only tested at 1 inch depth for a extended period of time. I do have a friend that just purchased those same connectors, it will be interesting to see if they work on his Excalibur....

The only thing I have seen that works is have a direct connection to the main housing, like the CTX, or Garrett's

Good Luck with the new coil swapper CZ, I will have to share with a few others that want the same with there CZ's

OP
OP
H

handyman007

Apr 28, 2014
Cyprus
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-20, Infinium
Primary Interest:
My personal opinion is - the hardwared coils is not a good idea, but I understand the factories, they just try to minimize risks. The 12 inches Sunray coil still working with connector IP68 code, but I put some silicone in each place in connector before put it together. It is really sensitive coil, and I have to reduce the sensitivity on 3, because I had to many false signals,especially in the shore line. If you are on chest level in the water-unit work more stable, and you can increase the sensitivity. But, the real question is-it is really connection between coil size and operation depth ? I have no answer at this time. Just did a few tests in my pool-results looks VERY similar! I`m sure, there are NO 4 inches extra depth between 8 and 12 inches coils.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread