A Question ..on 1266x

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the process of fixing my old 1266x (Battery Compartment issue)
& I can not seem to find the Owners Manual 'if I ever had one'

So my ? is How Do you Ground Balance The Machine?
I got it used and only used it a few times before ( the Meltdown).
So I can not recall How to GB it.

I have A Tejon , That is similar in Operation.
Is the GB Similar As Well.

Thanks

Davers:thumbsup:

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Davers, I don't have an answer to your question as I've never used a 1266, mine is the 1265. however I am very curious as to what you come up with for a battery door fix. that is the ONLY thing that is preventing the factory from servicing my Los banos 1265. I guess I could beg the techs at the factory to repair it anyway and just disregard the duct tape holding the door shut.
as for your missing manual, you can view it online or download the manual here.
FISHER 1266-X OPERATING MANUAL Pdf Download.

Mike

p.s. good luck with the battery door.
P.s.s. if you ever want to sell or trade that 1266 lemme know, I have a deep love affair with that line, most of all mine which my pops bought me as a young boy..ahh the memories.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the link , I'm just to lazy to look it up.
Now I can Refer back to this thread when I,m ready to download & print the Manual.

This week I finally HOPE to get around to Fixing this Machine as best I can ,my Dad always Put together Heathkit Ham Radios, and was a Computer tech until he retired, The wiring thing is the hardest part .

The issue is The machine takes two battery packs one slides in on each side of the control box , & on one side the connector where the battery pack touches , broke off down inside the box we rigged it where the connection wires are just touching the battery pack& turned that side around to where the connection is near the outside of the box , I just want to put some U connectors on the end of each wire ' for a better connection.

The machine has a Nylon 'male ' Thread that turns from the outside (using the Knob) screws into a Plastic 'female ' socket .
Anyway a piece of the socket is broken off , so the nylon Screw has nothing to Attach to ' hence the back needs to be taped on .
I would like to fix this maybe by getting a longer screw or something, but if I have to use tape I will.

Likely TMI but it sounds like your machine has a similar issue.

I may photo the process to document how this fix works ' if successful'.

sorry for my Rant , Im too much into Details.

Davers

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love details, it makes everything easier heh.
I'm guessing the battery compartment on a 66 is like mine below ?
View attachment 1042876

Mike

Something like that...Hmmm
Does the 1265 use 4AA or 8AA?

Pictures work so much better but Did you add the White Connector piece that the red and black wires are connected to ( on the battery Pack. Mine takes 2 of those bat-packs 'one on either side of the piece of junk Screw that holds the back on .

On my machine one of the bat-packs made it's connection to the black & red Wires Via a Brass Tab (that each wire is connected to) Down inside the Compartment.

This is not working , Just had a Loud Discussion with my wife about her showing me how to post pictures using "MY " camera.

Ill post some pics asap, I dont have the machine in front of me , it's out of sight so I don't Worry About it all the time.

You must be Broke or Thrifty like me As most would likely tell us To let the machines Die. LOL

Davers

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi yeah mine holds 8aa, the other battery holder fell completely off, No the white connectors are part of the detector.
on yours the black tab on the end actually screws on ? on mine it pulls out to a second position allowing the cover to come off, pushed down it somehow puts pressure on the plastic pins that are on the cover aka battery door...that was fishers only screwup on them, the rest is built like a tank, its been dropped, thrown, used as a club to crack some bodies shinbone :laughing7: as a club against a killer psycho goose. and other bangs and bruises, never hurt any part of it, but the battery door broke within the first year.

Mike

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it has a Knob that has more Mass that the one in your picture & it is attached to a plastic Screw that's should screw into a plastic Socket in that hole right between the batteries but like I said part of that Socket is missing and the screw wont catch on anything.

The piece of the rod was Guerrilla Glued Together when I got the MD But later broke again but I was lucky enough to find a replacement rod at our Civil War show and sale a couple years ago.
Really a tuff machine ,that still works like new if it were not for that batt, compartment.

Like I said Pic's ASAP .
Good Luck With Your 1265
& Good Luck Detecting.

Davers

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
005.JPG 006.JPG This could be yours for a limited time offer of only $19.99,shipping not included "order now":laughing7:What pages do you need?I would post all I think you might want but this crap camera I use eats betteries and The one's in it are almost dead

Last edited:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love details, it makes everything easier heh.
I'm guessing the battery compartment on a 66 is like mine below ?
View attachment 1042876

Mike
That is pretty slick Mike.I am still looking for a battery pack cover to see if my old 66 even still works?

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
if I could somehow rebuild or replace that battery cover, then fisher will service my unit. I was rather dismayed when the rep I talked to at fisher told me the tech would just send it back if the battery door is broken..why they can't just fix the rest is beyond me, I'd gladly pay them ANY amount they asked for the sentimental value it has for me, its priceless. was the only true bond I shared with my father.

Mike

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if I could somehow rebuild or replace that battery cover, then fisher will service my unit. I was rather dismayed when the rep I talked to at fisher told me the tech would just send it back if the battery door is broken..why they can't just fix the rest is beyond me, I'd gladly pay them ANY amount they asked for the sentimental value it has for me, its priceless. was the only true bond I shared with my father.

Mike
It's beyond me too!The company seems a bit sketchy, and they don't seem to have very good customer service.I sent my 1270 machine off not to long ago because something was wrong with my audio jack,they gave me a new coil back,cleaned the machine up,seemed to fix everything except the problem?Sent it back a second time to them,after some more hardache ,and they finally fixed the problem.I would think that they would have old stock of things like for the 66, which they probably do,but they want people to by new machines I guess?One thing I can't say is that they don't make good machines! ,That 1266 is a deep seeking sucker in the right hands,wish I could fix my old one up!if it even still works? joe

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I actually like their service, never used it however that they would repair a unit that's more then 30 years old says something to me, but I also feel that it is somewhat shady they won't fix the other issues because of a duct taped door, I've never seen one that wasn't broke, it was a bad design to use those plastic pins, so what if they don't have the part for the door, fix the other stuff.
at this point I think I'll hire somebody to rebuild that battery cover and replace the pins with metal ones, then send it to fisher so they can fix whatever it is that is causing the detector to false so badly that it is not usable.

Mike

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK.Dang it..

Today I think ill Triple up on my Coffee intake.
Get the machine & the bag of parts & Try to get this Done + I want to post pics.

For me, Getting started is the hardest part.

Davers

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The 1260X used the same battery compartment cover - or rather it certainly looks like it. I'm using the 1260X tomorrow :) So you guy's can't have my cover!

And, if they are that similar, the ground balance is fixed - but my 1260X cut through highly mineralized soil like butter!

And, as Mike said: http://www.kellycodetectors.com/pdf/manuals/1266-X.pdf

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
yeah thinking what Roger said, my 1265 has/had no problem in bad soil and would hit Merc's at 9 inches. though never used anything after, anybody with a 1266 or higher get a dime at more depth ?

/me casts a jack Daniels blessing upon roger and prays for the cover heh.

Mike

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Mike, I too hit dimes at 9"-10"

I saw a used 1260X for parts on eBay up for bids, that might be a place to check.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Darned guy wants $111.95 for it for parts only, no guarantee....

NOT!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread