Six hours on my CZ-3d....

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I have about six hours and two hunts on this machine. First spot was my own yard, I have pounded this yard for two years with several machines including atpro, f75, tejon and a few others. The cz started finding coins right away.....ended up with 10 pennies(2 wheats), 2 dimes and a nickel but no silver.....yet! Next spot has been hunted by a pile of people and ,machines. It was a farm from the late 1700s through the 1950s. I have found some cool coins and relics here, but the finds have really slowed lately. This entire property is loaded with square nails....after about 30 minutes using the cz I got a really good signal around 7 inches down I found a nice 1808 large cent. My third from this spot, found 1794 and 1798 previously. So my first thoughts of this machine: It is deep! Possibly deeper than my f75ltd, but definately more stable and less chatty. Ground balance is super easy. Target seperation is about average for a concentric coil. Very heavy machine, but we already knew that, right? Now, my only real complaint, this thing loves deep, rusty square nails. And will id them with a high tone a lot of times. I know you have to learn a machine, but some of these nails really had me fooled. Any suggestions from experienced cz users would be great. But I already love this machine in the less iron infested areas.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
OK, good to hear that you got it Digger. CZ's are notorious for having a bit of trouble with linear iron and steel, but that's mostly because people run way too much sensitivity when coin hunting. For relic hunting in wide-open places which is what a cz is (also) designed for, and to ID coin-sized and shaped targets (according to Fisher), the cz is at its best there. It also does very well on salt beaches. Higher sensitivity doesn't matter as much in those situations because many relics are made of iron anyway, and old deeper coins normally produce a more narrow signal too. . Running above 7 sensitivity is not necessary in most cases for deep coin hunting, and it will work much better and give you the same depth if you tame it a bit. That will also reduce many of the false signals from steel wire, screws, and other linear steel targets. Also, set your disc to around "2" or just a little above it, that should help too and still get you at least 80% of fine wire gold rings. And if you still have troubles, then it is quite likely that you are either scrubbing the coil (a definite no-no according to George Payne) and getting too much ground interference on top of the inherent high sensitivity already built into a Cz. A Cz seldom finds nails for me, because I realize just how much of an untamed beast it can be if I try to go deeper by cranking up its power too much. I (never) scrub the dirt with mine, I run it wide open on salt/black sand beaches and I dig almost everything. Scrubbing or keeping it less than 1" off the ground gives me less depth and it makes more noise too.. The normal and best height off the ground is 1-2". Remember too, that iron nails, screws, and steel wire normally produce a double "blip" or a longer signal one way, and a more narrow signal the other. If you hunt really trashy places, get the smaller coil, it will lighten the load and balance it better too. Don't waste your money on a 10'er, it makes the thing weigh like you tied a horseshoe to the end of it and you will (only) gain another inch in depth anyway, and not consistently.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a bunch Larry...

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
I came across this video of the cz3d depth. I would have run the sensitivity at 7 or 8, and in an open field at 8-10 with zero discrimination. It should easily get the 12 inches set up that way since his soil has little iron in the mix. but he said there was a lot of EMI in the area and his cell phone was on too. Plus he didn't try it at 90 degrees either.. Maybe he is a bit green with it.. . :

Also, here is some of he BEST INFORMATION we can find regarding sensitivity, depth, air tests, transmitted power, and a few other discussions: I give this article at least an "A". www.metaldetectingworld.com/metal_detector_sensitivity_depth.shtml Thank you Minelab.

Last edited:

mikefromIllinois

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2008
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D
Hey Digger i have been running a cz-3d since 2007 and find if you work a 360 degree circle around your target and it high tones around it your target is good to dig but if it goes from iron to high tone or bounces back and forth 9 out of 10 times it will be a nail or piece of iron. If you get a chance pick up the video inland coin and relic hunting by thomas dankowski, it's well worth it and you will pick up a lot of info on cz's.Mike

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Digger i have been running a cz-3d since 2007 and find if you work a 360 degree circle around your target and it high tones around it your target is good to dig but if it goes from iron to high tone or bounces back and forth 9 out of 10 times it will be a nail or piece of iron. If you get a chance pick up the video inland coin and relic hunting by thomas dankowski, it's well worth it and you will pick up a lot of info on cz's.Mike

I will......thanks.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So in order for the signal to "bounce" between iron and a high tone i would have to have disc set at 0....correct? I run my f75 in this area at around 6 on disc but still get some iron grunts.....i run ATpro wide open and get all the grunts. But CZ only has one selection for iron disc (#1)....

mikefromIllinois

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2008
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D
Correct I always run my disc at 0 and my sensitivity no higher than 5. Tom D suggest running sensitivity at 4 and a half for optimum performance. Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread