Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have really been trying to tame this F5. I have studied Mike Hillis's stuff and reading everything I can but I am having a hard time getting the detector to give stable readings over 2 to 3 inches after that it is a crap shoot. I went to the fairgrounds today and I couldn't find anything over 3 inches. Same at the 2 other parks I went to. Anything deeper and the VDI was all over the place. I just had to dig hoping it would be something. Ran most of the day at 70 sens. disc@ 08, and threshold @ -2. Kinda discouraged. Found a lot of surface stuff or just below, but that was it. Is it me, or why would I not be getting good hits deeper? The mineralization here is bad. My fe meter is one notch below full. Any ideas?

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you have a coil cover,if you do pull it of and clean out anything in there like black sand and salt if used at the beach.
If that don't work go to m.d shop and try another coil.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't have a coil cover. I am using the 11" DD. No detector shops close. No salt water in Montana. But thanks for the input.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might not have any targets very deep for one thing. With bad ground you should lower sens. and your high disc also cancels depth. Without a coil cover you could have a damaged coil.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My disc is only canceling small iron. I do hit parks and I know there are a couple of guys here who hit them too. We only have about 10 parks at most. Heard of a guy who has been detecting here for 20 years and I hear he has quite the silver and jewelry collection. So there may not be a lot left over. Need new hunting grounds to know for sure.

X_Marks_Spot

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Oct 23, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Garrett, Fisher, White's, Bounty Hunter, Tesoro, Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Other
Mike I want you to do me a favor. I have a gentleman who I would easily describe as a master of his F5. He would be only thrilled to help you get yours running beautifully. https://www.facebook.com/larry.kadra?fref=ts
My good friend Larry Kadra has been hunting for a some years now. Out of all the systems we have talked about his F5 is his all time favorite. Especially for coin shooting. Get in touch with him I've let him know to reach out to you.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks so much! I will contact him.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I talked with Larry and he had a lot of tips that I will try. Thanks for the referral!

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does it ait test o.k? If so its the ground conditions probally which the ground balance should take care of,f5 does have a ground balance right?
Is the ground real stable in your area,if so things just aren't going down very far.If it air test o.k i would say the machine fine:dontknow:

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I talked to a guy yesterday that has had a lot of success with the F5. He said that it may be ground balance issue. He gave me some tips that I am going to try when I go out again and see if that gives more depth. A big thanks to X-marks the spot for introducing me to this nice man! And also to Larry for taking the time to get on the phone and walk me through what he does to make the F5 perform. Gotta love TNet!

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ground balance for sure. Another thought is look at the shoes you are wearing (run the detector over them). Sometimes there is metal in the sole. As you walk, you get false-ing. I have a pair of rubber boots that cause this issue big time.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a retired bucket truck mechanic for the southern company,anyway we had to wear steel toed boots and i hunted everyday after work so i kept a pair of cheap canvas boat shoes in my truck to wear after work to hunt with..I worked down town p'cola but lived at the north end of the county so i saved gas by hunting after work..Use to find silver regularly back in the early- mid 90's with my cz's..Unless it private property now,its all been hammered to death now..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread