Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The F2 is a very good entry level detector - great choice!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
As the title says I just bought a F2 although being late fall in the great white north its kind of bad timing I can't wait to learn and share my finds with you all.

I wrote this a couple of years ago on another forum for the benefit of new F2 users.

There is an update after that one, also.

Well, I can see all kinds of new people coming on board with all kinds of new detectors and I just want to say welcome, your life and the way you look at any patch of ground from now on will never be the same.

This post is directed to the new people that have decided their first detector is going to be the great F2...and I guess some F4 users can gleam some info from this, too.

I bought mine about one and a half years ago as a back-up/guest/ take on vacation unit only, but it turned out to be so much fun, so productive and easy to use, that I ended up using it way more than I ever thought I would, and it is still being used in heavy rotation today depending on the type of sites I am hunting and how I feel that day.

I started an innocent F2 review thread when I got mine, and I am so surprised it has grown into one of the larger threads on the forum.
As of today, 8 pages, over 300 posts by myself and other users, and closing in on 18,000 views...a fact that flabbergasts and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, and I thank you all for the good thoughts and contributions.

Edit....
It is now up to over 136,000 views and 1375 replies....

Over time it has turned from just a simple review into a depository of all the tips, tricks and insights other useful information I have discovered by myself and others, or have found and re-posted from all other users from owners from all over the net.

I am still learning about the F2 and adding every and all new insights, still posting when I find something great with it, and still thankful to anyone and everyone that would like to do the same.

I also want to thank the many, many members that have PM'd me about this one, asked for my advice before purchasing, and thanked me after ordering one and using it themselves.

I sometimes wish I had a piece of the action since I suspect because of that thread, many more F2's have been sold to some very happy and satisfied users than would ever have been sold if that thread was not in existence.
Be that as it may, the fact that so many more new people now own this one, and are having great fun with it and finding some fantastic stuff with it is plenty of thanks in my mind, believe me.

Since I got mine I have tried to notice every post I see about new people with the F2 and I have also noticed a trend.
Several new owners, which by the way for the most part are not only brand new to the F2 but brand new to the entire hobby, have put it together, got out and started finding great stuff right away with no problems at all.

Others have started out differently, with much concern and confusion.
99.9% of the time, this confusion goes away as they get out and use and understand the F2 more and more.
All detectors will have a learning curve, and there are basics in this hobby that a brand new newbie does not, and is not expected to know, but given a short time with it they discover and come to understand and figure these things out and all becomes well.

TIPS FOR NEW OWNERS...

These tips for a new users are all in that F2 thread...somewhere...but it has been suggested to me, (Thanks Bucksport!), that putting most of the real world tips for assembling and using the F2 right out of the box could be of some use to the many new F2 owners in our ranks, so I will attempt to do that here.

Assembly

1...Tighten the cam locks on the rods.

When I first put mine together, I was not thrilled with the slight wobble I had on the coil.
Tighten up those cam locks, (which I neglected to do), and that will go away.

2...Correct battery installation.
This is a big one, and also something that I screwed up myself when I first put mine together before reading the directions in the manual.
(Directions?...I don't need no stinking directions!)

The 2 batteries that come with the unit, or any future batteries you install, have to be put in one way and one way only or this thing will just act wonky, won't work correctly at all, and probably won't even turn off when you hit that power button.

While looking at the screen, the batteries should be installed from the rear WITH THE + SIGN ON THE SIDE OF BOTH BATTERIES FACING TO THE RIGHT!

3...Battery clips
As long as we are talking about batteries, those clips that hold the batteries in are a very bad design, in my opinion, and awful tight on a brand new unit, and the chances of breaking these off can be high if you are not careful.
If you do, you are going to have problems because the cover is so flimsy that I don't think you have a chance of keeping the batteries connected and positioned correctly even if you stuff something in between the batteries and the cover.
The good thing is that over time I have found that these clips do seem to finally start to give a little, and battery replacement will go much easier for you in the future.
However...
Not all battery jackets are the same size, this would be regular alkaline or rechargeables, and no matter what you do there are some brands that will never fit into these slots no matter how hard you try.

I have found Duracells, Energizers, Walgreens and CVS brand batteries are fine, along with many others.
Just the other day, though, I did purchase an off brand set of batteries from a department store that did not fit no matter what, so if it is real hard to get them in just stop trying because it will be just as hard if not harder to get them out without a problem.
My first set I put in, the quality ones that came with the F2, were very tight, and I managed to bend open the end of one edge of the battery jacket on one, which then caught on one of those clips and so getting it out was not much fun at all...so be careful.

First time powering up

Ok, you got it together and the batteries in correctly so lets hit that power button, shall we?

What? Is this thing crazy?
All kinds of noise and numbers and jumping around!
I GOT A BAD ONE!!!

I have seen these comments stated in one form or another from a whole bunch of new users and I will address this problem here.

Lets just go talk about something called...

SENSITIVITY

The F series detectors are a very sensitive bunch, all of them, and this sensitivity can be both good and bad to veteran hunters, and mostly bad to brand new users.

When you power up, this thing isn't even at full power, more like 75%, and that extremely high sensitivity, even at this level, this can cause some great distress to owners that don't understand why their detectors seem to be loco and unusable.

Here is the deal.
If you turn this thing on inside your house, all kinds of things can affect it.
EMI, or electromagnetic interference is all around us indoors and out, and since your detector picks up these EM waves pretty easily, is it any wonder the thing seems to be a little crazy?
Inside the home, fluorescent lights, televisions, electric appliances of all kinds and especially WIFI can and will be picked up by this machine.
As a matter of fact, most detectors on the market will be affected EMI, and not only in how the signals are picked up but how it works and performs, too.
I have read owners air testing all kinds of brands indoors for depth, and then moving the unit outdoors they sometimes can get completely different and much better results.

Ok so now you get this, so lets just go outside the house and try it in the yard.
What?
Still seems to be going nuts!

Great, we finally got outdoors with it so you think it should be perfect but it is not.
Why?
Think about it...
That same WIFI hub you have in the center of the house that makes it so easy to get on the net with your laptop all over the home is not stopped by those walls in your dwelling.
Not the indoors walls and not even the outside ones.
Look around...do you happen to see some electric lines running overhead behind your house?
If not, good for you, you live in a more modern subdivision with out of sight underground lines.
Doesn't matter...that EMI is still all around you, and maybe even some other things that can cause interference are lurking about, too.
Got a cell-phone or radio tower within a block or two of your location?
Maybe you don't have WIFI but a close neighbor does.
Even your own cell phone that you carry can cause you some problems, among many other things, so don't just automatically think you have a bad detector.
You could have, it happens, but this is actually very rare.

So, what to do?

Most detectors have to be turned up all the way to work correctly and find you some great targets!

I think this is something a lot of new users believe but in reality is not true.
In the thousands of posts I have read on this and all kinds of brands of detectors, it is a rare thing indeed that any hunter is able to set their units at full power without problems or noise which we call "chatter".
MXT's, the Tejon, and even the very popular E-trac, to name just a few, can also be virtually unusable and not much fun to swing with all kinds of noise on the highest power level which is usually controlled by your sensitivity settings.
Read a few of the more technical posts on tips for suggested settings of most detectors and the owners usually mention something about sensitivity levels on their detectors...and notice it usually is not at the highest levels they can achieve.

If you go outside your house for the first time, or to the local park, or anywhere for that matter, if your F2 is just too noisy and jumpy, for goodness sake, just turn it down till it is at a more manageable noise level!

It is true that you will lose a little depth with every power bar you take away, but in reality it is not all that much, and if you are brand new you don't need to be dealing with all kinds of false tones and other things while you are so shiny new and just learning the ropes.

I have not done any scientific tests, but I suspect that for every bar you take away on the F2, you will lose about 1/4" in depth.
If you have the 8" coil mounted, and you are hunting in pretty good soil, that coil should reach about 7-8" on a dime.
Do the math and you will see that even on one bar you should still be well within range of a huge percentage of the targets we seek, which many have the opinion that overall for the most part, are 6" in depth or less.

Just the other day I was at a site and I was fooling around with the sense levels trying to use a technique to see if I could determine whether a high tone signal was a pop top buried in the ground as opposed to a coin.
I actually forgot to turn the sense back up to my normal full power, (that's how I hunt...you don't have to), and went on scanning.
My next target was a loud, solid and very easy to tell dime that was at about 5 inches...and after I dug it I noticed that the sense level was still down at only one bar.

My first ever experience in this hobby was with an extra noisy, constantly falsing detector that gave me training that most don't have in determining false tones, or ghost signals, from real ones.
The extra noise I hear at some of my sites never bothers me so unless I am right under some high power lines, I rarely turn down that sense.
That is me, not you, and learning to ignore these false signals will be a skill you will learn in time, but for now, just turn it down to a level that actually makes hunting fun for you...not a hassle.

Some owners have gone to a few different sites and had chatter problems at all of them, but that 4th site it was quiet as a mouse.
All sites are not the same, and don't assume that they are and that your F2 will work the same at all of them.

As I said, I hunt on high sense most of the time and at many sites I get signals galore...lots of them false.
Not a problem for me, I can pick out the real ones, but last week I was at a new-to-me park where my F2 was absolutely silent except for real targets that were being picked up in the ground as I rolled over them.
This was strange to me, and I had to keep checking to see if the thing was actually working because this is so rare in my experience.

I must add that as far as depth, (some owners get more, some get less), keep in mind mineralization levels are different all over the country, and the depth that I now get in my wonderful Kansas soil is completely different then most of my sites in the devil soil I had to deal with when I lived in Alabama.
There, if I got past 3 inches using any of my detectors, (and I also own a Vaquero), I considered myself lucky.

OTHER STUFF

So I guess you are getting tired of reading this thing and my fingers already went numb long ago so I will wrap this up and maybe add a few more helpful things as I think of them in the future.

The only other thing I can think of to tell you right now is that if you use a decent pair of headphones your battery life will be extended by a lot.
That speaker on the F2 will use a ton of power vs any set of phones, and getting used to using headphones will actually give you a shot at hearing the differences in the tones you will hear...and make no mistake there are some slight differences in those 4 tones.

Also, if you are out in the field and you get real low on battery power and aren't carrying extras, (which you should), swap the position of the two batteries and you should gain an extra bar or two for a limited time.
The audio/tone generating circuit is actually run by only one of those batteries, not both, so the batteries will drain at different levels and time frames.

Lastly, if you are completely new, don't ever lose heart or feel like giving up.

So many new users have poured out their problems and frustrations in their first posts when they did not have a clue, but a few weeks later, and with a few hours of experience under their belt, everything seemed to have changed, miraculously, and from then on they are all pretty happy campers.

In this hobby as in life, the more you know and understand the better things get, overall.

My only wish for you is that you have the patience to learn how to use your fine new detector, continue to learn new things, always, and if you end up being half as happy and satisfied with your F2 as I am with mine, you will also end up being very happy indeed!

HH Always!

Thank you so much for this! Can't wait for my F2 to arrive

This primer should go a long way to get you started on the right foot.
I continued to use the great F2 for another 18 months after I wrote this, still continued to learn all along the way.
Once in awhile I still swing one at our outdoor club meetings because a few members bought them after seeing me win many first place prizes with my finds...especially the jewelry and the large amount of clad I could find among other things, and I give short little lessons when they ask or are confused about something.
Usually after a few minutes of just showing them how I use it, how I maneuver that coil and what I look for on the screen and in the tones they get straightened out and are on there way.

I mentioned in this post that I just started to use the sniper coil when I wrote it.
I would like to say that once I mounted that thing it rarely ever came off and I went on to find about 15 gold rings, some great silver jewelry and a huge amount of coins at sites that I thought I drained completely using larger coils but actually didn't in those next 18 months using it almost exclusively.
I became a huge fan of sniper coils because of all this, and I now believe that for new users in the hobby that pick the F2 using that sniper coil at first while you learn the basics and behavior is the smart thing to do because it makes everything much easier to practice like getting the coil center over targets to get the most accurate and stable signals and pinpointing to just name a few.
Not to mention how much better it works in heavy trash sites which is my usual choice of sites to hunt because of the jewelry that could be found there.
Masking can be a problem for all coils but it is way less of a problem for the snipers.

All kinds of great detectors on the market today, the Euro Tek Pro is cool, the newest Pro Bounty Hunter lines seem like they might have some nice features too and both these brands along with Fisher are all manufactured and sold under the same company and recently on some of these new models it appears they seem to be sharing some of the latest tech even though they are still considered separate entities.
Even so, I believe the F2 multiple coil packages are still some of the greatest if not the greatest values out there on the market considering all you get and how well the F2 works and finds the good stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
greaser

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcome guys and thanks for the great threads digger27. I hope to get mine by Friday so I should be out digging by Saturday. I got the kit with the two coils and the pinpointer this and the numerical readings is what sold me on it over the ace 250.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Thanks for the welcome guys and thanks for the great threads digger27. I hope to get mine by Friday so I should be out digging by Saturday. I got the kit with the two coils and the pinpointer this and the numerical readings is what sold me on it over the ace 250.

Digging a ton of...everything is always recommended to get used to any new detector, especially so if you are totally new to the hobby.
Again I also recommend that you start out with that sniper coil.
MUCH easier to learn the basics on and once you do you can switch to the larger coil which is better for hunting wide open areas.

I put mine on and pretty much left it there after I saw what it could do at my mostly trashy sites that I hunt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
greaser

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My only metal detecting experience before this was for mines with a sub par heavy us army set up so it will be nice to be finding things I want to find for a change. Lol

I will definitely start with the sniper coil, we had some major fires in my area in the 1800s so I plan on digging everything just in case.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you see the size of that sniper coil don't discount it.... works great! Just takes a lot of time to cover the ground with it. :) If you ever want to add to it, the larger 11" DD is well regarded for the F2.... much improved ground coverage with good seperation of targets due to the DD design.

OP
OP
greaser

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll keep that in mind thanks, I am getting antsy now I keep checking the tracking for updates. Lol

OP
OP
greaser

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first finds, I just did a quick swing around one of our flower beds with the sniper coil.

Lots of nails, a small piece of aluminum, a piece of foil, an old tent stake, an old magnet that is no longer a magnet(lol), a piece of a hinge, a piece of wire bent into a weird shape, and a brass shell casing.

It was fun non the less and a great way to start learning the different sounds she makes.

OP
OP
greaser

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug my first coins today.
A 1944 wheat and a 1970 Lincoln.

Both is good shape just need cleaned up.
And some junk the plastic had me thinking I may have struck gold but just some foil and the little pink plastic stone in it.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the addiction, uh, I mean obsession, I mean HOBBY.

Seriously, if you find you enjoy doing this and get one find that you really like, you just may get hooked for life. It can be a strange obsession at times, but it's also a fantastic hobby.

You just never know what you'll dig next or where that next great find will turn up. The surprises never seem to end. Just when you begin to get a bit frustrated, bang, you find something really awesome. Sometimes you dig that next "pulltab" after the last 300 pull tabs and out pops a nice gold ring or a great old coin. The possibilities are truly endless.

Learn the language of your machine. Use it until you know it so well that you intuitively "know" what it's telling you and make the conscious choice to not allow yourself to get discouraged. Remember that every piece of trash you dig puts you one step closer to something really cool. That's the best advice I can give you.

Oh. I almost forgot, congrats on your first wheatie. May there be many more. Just wait'll you dig that first silver. It's a great feeling freeing a long hidden treasure from the ground and bringing it back into the light.

Good luck and Happy Hunting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
greaser

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Garrett I appreciate it I went out today and found my first non penny coin, unfortunately it it just a clad quarter but hey it spends right.

So this pic has 4 zinc Lincolns 2 coppers a clad quarter and a piece of 30 carbine brass.

In this one is a knife I found in the same location, the location is a small canoe landing. holy cow I had to shut the iron and foil off just so I could find something else, it was a fun time anyways.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
See, you're already learning what your machine is telling you. It's saying that you're in a trashy area and you're already knocking out the iron and digging less trash.

The more you use it the better it will get.
Just remember, gold sounds and read likes pull tabs and sometimes foil so never be afraid to dig those signals. Never automatically assume they're trash either. It will pay off sooner or later.

The knife is a cool find.

You also did better than I did yesterday after work. I dug a little bit of trash and clad but nothing remarkable. I save the clad and use it to buy batteries or whatever. It will add up. These short days aren't much help either. As soon as you get into the groove it's dark.

Keep it up. You're doing fine. You have a great machine too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
greaser

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I am going to use the clad for anything used in metal detecting or a new car if I find enough. LOL

Yeah I want to dig everything but it was just too much junk and not enough time. I have a place I want to try where I will definitely be digging everything but it has been raining to much today to go out, hopefully tomorrow.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, if you save the clad for the next 10 or 20 years you just may get that car. I would go with a used model myself.

Good luck and HH.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As the title says I just bought a F2 although being late fall in the great white north its kind of bad timing I can't wait to learn and share my finds with you all.

Yea fall,front coming through today and tommorrow night we are supposed to get down to 55 deg. 23 degs. more and it would be freezing..Tried to hunt today but just to cold,81 deg.
8-)

keep us informed on how you like your new hobby/life..Yes a new life for some...
Oh pour gas on the ground and set it on fire,add a little burnt motor oil in so it will burn hotter..:laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
greaser

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol that's a heat wave up here it did warm up to 65 in the sun on Monday. Lol I am going out today to see what I can turn up I'll be sure to let you all know.

OP
OP
greaser

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok ended up spending more time shooting my firearms and less time detecting yesterday but I did find a few goodies around the small section of sidewalk at my parents.
IMG_20141029_183405_zpswb4wvt8c.jpg

a 45 ACP case.
a broken roof off of a 1920s tootsie toy car.
a broken piece of a hotwheels toy car.
and a couple pieces of trash along with about 5 nails (not pictured).

It was Cold!
39 deg F.

OP
OP
greaser

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well another hand full of nails and one copper today also some kind of bracket that was about 5 inches down so must be old but not sure what it is for.
DSC_0200_zpsfa37ba30.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread