f75 differant coils, differant numbers

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a ? ... How do you know 61 is where its supposed to be? Not being funny here. I have a new F75 SE coming next Wednesday...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's called Calibration. When calibrated for one coil it naturally changes for different coils. Also numbers can change due to orientation of item in ground.

OP
OP
P

prospect007

Mar 16, 2014
western us
Detector(s) used
minelab 4000,fisher gb2,f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
masterjedi, the so called instruction book that comes with the machine said a (new) penny reads 61 (old, pre-82) reads 71. I would think that factory coils no matter the size would be calibrated for the machine.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have three coils for my F-75se (if you consider the Sunray as a 1" coil) and they all read consistently - but I get between 58 and 60 for post '82 and invariably 70 for pre '82 cents . Individual coins can vary from different depths and orientations.

I think Sandman is on with calibration. There must be some factory acceptance range for coils as they can't make them all perfectly consistent. You may just have two that were on opposite ends of the acceptance range. That display number is just relative conductivity to the surrounding soil. It's not like the detector knows what it's over. The manual gives you a statistical average.

I made up a list for targets and it holds up pretty well in use.

F75 TDI Scale.jpg

And here's one from Garrett that shows the relative targets on a 0-180 scale.
Discrimination Chart.JPG

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spot on Charlie. :icon_thumleft: It would be nice it all component's of detectors met the specs exactly, but they don't.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread