Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
According to the manual it does something. 1,000 point "resolution" but only 100 digits are displayed. It rotates in both directions with no stops, howeve; so you're changing the default 82 or whatever the Phase/pumping procedure gave you.

You can set it to the soil conditions with the Ground Phase button and then manually up or down as you like with the nob. Very much optional from what I see in the manual.

See pages 9 & 12-14

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/manuals/F5) REV 4 05.01.13 - Reader.pdf

Fisher is actually explaining it a lot more precisely than 90% of us here understand or think about it.

Or, do you mean the "click" you get when pushing in on the button? On some that returns you to the last menu selection. May be they just use the same control for multiple detectors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I mean the click. I does nothing. Like a feature that was supposed to be used for the multifunction knob, but wasn't. the F5 has no menus.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Then I imagine it's just a case of Fisher finding it cheaper to stock one switch for multiple detectors.

Or you have cracked the G-10 of the circuit board it is attached to and hear the seam "clicking" as you press something you shouldn't. ;-)

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No this is a knob that was made to do this. It is the same on all F5 machines. I have been asked this by other owners of the F5 too. The best answer I have gotten so far is that it is none of my business, and is a function that the customer doesn't use.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It does nothing. The first designs for my LRP and QDP showed a light bulb on the LCD screens. Final production eliminated it. The F5 could have had the same idea and it was scrapped at production (after all the knobs were ordered). Who knows? Mike Hillis says the push button has no effect.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What little I could get from Dave Johnson, he said that the push feature is used by the factory, but not usable by the customer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread