Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Someone please explain the advantages and disadvantages of the menu selection "boost". The F-44 has boost on the menu and I believe some f 75 machines also have this feature. A friend explained it as being like "passing gear" but that did not help my mental picture of this feature.
That is a good question .Some one here might know the answer i think . I would like to find out my self''

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will do! I'm looking forward to trying it. Do you have any preferred settings for coins, relics that you could share? Thanks.

Not really. Just remember that increased "gain" looks for tinier objects, and it's not like it increases depth. Many tend to overuse it thinking it gets deeper. I kept mine on 50, or half way. This way I could increase the threshold that gives better ID and is like Tesoro's supertuning. Gain and threshold can't be maxed without chatter. Turning one down allows the other to be increased. If your looking for tiny and shallow, high gain, low threshold. Dimed size and up, lower gain, higher threshold. That's the way with the F5 anyways.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a good question .Some one here might know the answer i think . I would like to find out my self''

Boost is extending the field deeper without regard to shallow target IDs. It's used for larger objects like relics and cache searching. In boost, a shallow target (like 2") can be missed.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boost is extending the field deeper without regard to shallow target IDs. It's used for larger objects like relics and cache searching. In boost, a shallow target (like 2") can be missed.

I have a new F75 SE with boost... it goes deeper. I have been detecting since the late 70's. I hunted a spot over and over and over with an AT pro with every coil you can imagine then over and over with my new Fisher F75 SE. When I had been over this yard in every direction possible, I put the F 75SE in boost mode and found 3 wheat cents and a cool 1935 Pikes peak token the next time I was there. Boost is awesome!

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I take my new Fisher 44 out and sweep the area and then go back and select boost and re do the area? The Fisher instructions are weak on this but they mention that where there is high vegetation and you can not get close to the ground is where you should select the boost feature. Seems to me that maybe a user should just select it and leave it on all the time and only make the one sweep. Your thoughts?

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, I take my new Fisher 44 out and sweep the area and then go back and select boost and re do the area?

Boost would NOT be used in trashy areas. It excels in fields. A target 2-3" may induce overload due to the signal so close to the coil it cannot make an ID. Boost extends a 1" to 10" field pattern to something like 4" to 14" field pattern. Most detectors can detect large objects at 2 feet (24"), just not coined sized objects and ID that deep. Boost is not something that just makes the detector detect deeper. It has it's place to aid in a specific style of hunting, mostly (larger) relics and cache hunting. The boost with the FeTone iron audio will be of best use for Europeans seeking artifacts that usually contain iron. For coins/jewelry, it's no big deal since the further into the ground the field goes, the more unreliable the ID on gold/silver, especially coins.

And yes. If vegetation keeps you 4" off of the ground, boost will probably not get an overload of a coin 5" from the coil, yet only 1" under the dirt.

Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you get an overload signal you just raise the coil off the ground until the overload signal stops and see what you've found. I run my F75SE in boost mode/99 sensitivity whenever I can. If it is really trashy, boost is too powerful. You will love the boost mode! You only have to go over an area once :)

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am starting to think that this F44 might be a giant thorn in some competitors backside. It seems to have a lot of things going for it with the water resistance on top of the list and this boost feature which has not been seen elsewhere.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am starting to think that this F44 might be a giant thorn in some competitors backside. It seems to have a lot of things going for it with the water resistance on top of the list and this boost feature which has not been seen elsewhere.

Yes it will upset the apple cart for sure :) I want to buy an F44 so I can use it in the rain and I will sell off the AT Pro I have... Supposed to be out next month ?

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it will upset the apple cart for sure :) I want to buy an F44 so I can use it in the rain and I will sell off the AT Pro I have... Supposed to be out next month ?

I might do the same after some use of course. I do like the AT Pro for wet days, but everything on the screen is pretty small for my old eyes. I don't really consider it a water machine, I know one fellow uses his STP in the water, and the silt, and sand stirred up made his button sticky. It's an emergency water detector.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might do the same after some use of course. I do like the AT Pro for wet days, but everything on the screen is pretty small for my old eyes. I don't really consider it a water machine, I know one fellow uses his STP in the water, and the silt, and sand stirred up made his button sticky. It's an emergency water detector.

I understand. I was looking into the AT Pro, but even at 49 years of age (lol) the AT Pro numbers seem small to me. Especially after using the X-Terra for awhile. Got an Omega on the way, but I don't think I can resist getting an F44 too! First Texas has a way of packing in performance & features at amazing price points. Dave Johnson & the crew really know what the customers want.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phantasman, you mentioned early on in this thread about the F44 having a back light, or suspected it might, was that just a guess, or you have a little insight ? It doesn't appear to have a "button" for it. I'd like a back light that could be on or off.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Phantasman, you mentioned early on in this thread about the F44 having a back light, or suspected it might, was that just a guess, or you have a little insight ? It doesn't appear to have a "button" for it. I'd like a back light that could be on or off.

The screen for F44 shows a light bulb on the screen, usually a sign of a lit screen. I would suspect that like the mode button (that as long as you hold it down it temporarily activates AM mode while in any disc mode) that holding down the on/off or menu button, the bulb on the screen will toggle on and off (like the Whites CoinGT that does that with the on/off button). Just a guess.

The light bulb is below the menu items on the left side:
11128793_475727732582437_8065297302605706592_n.jpg

Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My calls to Fisher did not produce a single new tid bit of data on a release date. Hope we are not dealing with another "Impact" situation.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks, yes I see the light bulb now.
Cool, I can't wait to see how one works.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My calls to Fisher did not produce a single new tid bit of data on a release date. Hope we are not dealing with another "Impact" situation.

They returned my email on facebook. They are shooting for May 15th availability date.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
F22 (Detector - Front view).jpg F44 (Detector - Front view).jpg
Continue clicking for a super close up

Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the past, does Fisher pre locate to dealers thus shipping and release date become the same? I never paid attention b4 but this 44 machine has my interest. My dealer would not talk about it as if he was under some restraining order preventing him from talking.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Phantasman... great close up pics... Thanks...

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the past, does Fisher pre locate to dealers thus shipping and release date become the same? I never paid attention b4 but this 44 machine has my interest. My dealer would not talk about it as if he was under some restraining order preventing him from talking.

The dealer was only pretending to know something. That's why I PMed Phantasman, about the release date, as it is only two weeks away now, and a dealer I know very well, as good as myself hasn't got any offical news from Fisher's Anna K. the person who sends out such news to the dealers. There is no official word as of today.

Shipping, and release date are not the same thing. At this point I suspect the release date will be pushed back at least a little ? we will soon know for sure though.

I've thought about a Racer, and some about a deus, but I will be getting a F44 for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread