Stevo007

Nov 4, 2013
Port Elizabeth
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, F5, CZ21,Garrett AtPro,Teknetics G2,Minelab Excaliber
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A warm Hello all the way from South Africa,

I used to own a fisher F2 then hopped to a F5 and garrett at pro but have spent some extra money to get a proper beach machine in hope that my finds would get better. I got this detector for Xmas and since then been putting in quite some time on it to try learn it but there is plenty of hours still to do.

If there are any experts that could lend a hand on settings and some info to set my mind at ease i sometimes do get analysis paralysis by over-thinking.

I tend to stick to 2 beaches mainly where i am at to keep studying them time and time again sand movement and how the weather treats the are - When i had the fisher f5 i could see there was some mineralization to contend with but now on the cz21 "maybe because its in salt mode " the mineralization does not interfere with it? No matter what i try i cant ground balance the detector in the bobbing mode or using the pinpoint i would just get a constant chatter in all metal with no change bobbing it will this sometimes happen?

At the moment im running settings:

Sens 10
ground preset 5(Default)
disc 0 ( so that i can hear iron items and do a 360degree around it to see if nothing is masked instead of missing such items and perhaps standing a chance of missing anything+also heard its not so sensative in disc 1?
volume 10 to make sure i dont miss a thing

it falses when the running beach water goes over the coil then i have to lower to 5 but as soon as i am past the moving water i can switch back to 10 again.

Some help would be highly appreciated

Happy Hunting

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi there I can't really offer much help myself as I'm a new CZ21 owner but maybe keeping your Sens down might help with the falses? There are some really helpful guys that I'm sure will advise you, as they have me, Fletch and TwoYewts spring immediately to mind. Good luck!

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do the GB in Auto. I mainly hunt at Disc 1 or Auto.

RGV_Digger

Dec 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to high jack the thread but given the choice of the ATP and F5 which did you like more?

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Stevo,
Replied to your PM. Hope that info helps out. Feel free to drop more questions on these forums, the TNet community is very helpful and Sandman, Casper and others on here that use the CZ have a world of knowledge with them. When I first started off, I read many of their posts along with other veterans on here and it made getting comfortable with the CZ much much easier. Doing YouTube searches also helped me visualize what a lot of these guys and gals were talking about in their posts.

Best of luck and Happy Hunting!
-TwoYewts

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
S

Stevo007

Nov 4, 2013
Port Elizabeth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to high jack the thread but given the choice of the ATP and F5 which did you like more?

Hi RGV no probs at all, i actually went for the at pro right after the f2 due to the waterproof capability and the higher hertz with the iron audio etc. When the unit finally arrived i was out for about about 3 weeks trial and error but it just didnt feel right there was some issues i had so opted to get the f5 as i wanted to see how it would compare as it was originally the one i wanted to buy. I gad to pick between f5 the g2 and at . Took my fiance out with me she was on the f5 i was on the at and whenever i got a target i would swop to see if the f5 could see it and i would say after 8 to 10 outings of 3 hours each time the f5 saw all that the at could see those specific times. Sometimes it excelled with better display giving you a better idea of what is deep down where the at blanked out no vdi just tones. At times it was confusing as soon as u move some sand and get closer now the ats tone would change so i was never really confident with the at on what i was really seeing. I got rid of the at and kept the f5 half the price and did in my eyes exactly the same job. There were some times where i could not pinpoint with the at it would just keep beeping no tone die off trying everything from gb toggle minus and plus up to auto balancing, swapping to custom pro normal hunting modes changing freq lol zero worked but the f5 spot on every time i didnt even have to pinpoint with f5 just the short wiggle and it was there.

Only restriction i had was f5 not being waterproof but i managed to make my own chest mount for it as it had a decent length cable and did shallow rivers being chest mounted. The other thing woukd be the at is higher khz 15khz so would be more sensative for smaller items where as the f5 onky comes in at 7.8 i think. with that said i still managed to pull out small items setting up a good balance with the threshold and gain and it was also useful on iron infested beaches to cut out those tiny rust oieces again working it in reverse.

Just my findings people have told me i should have given bit more chance with the at pro and put some more hours in it but i think i just prefer the look of the f5 and the features plus how it performed it wasent even necessary to put hours in on the f5 to get it working nicely. im a guy for settings i dont do well with simplicity like the at pro almost just switch on - gb and go

OP
OP
S

Stevo007

Nov 4, 2013
Port Elizabeth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the advice guys - I will have to put in some hours this week to play around with some settings. We are heavily sanded in and i think it plays with the mind quite a bit. Im always scared of backing down to much on sens that it will limit my depth and missing something but i also do understand if i dont then the falsing will drive me crazy.

OP
OP
S

Stevo007

Nov 4, 2013
Port Elizabeth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Photos of our beaches in pano :)

20141017_073436.jpg