F2 insane coin magnet

cz70pro

Mar 18, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey All. I have been pounding an old spot near my apt for the past two years. I have pulled about 65 old coins,and lots of relics from this spot. I have been working it with an F70 and Cz70,both using the small coils. this place is a carpet of screw caps,pull tabs, and can slaw thanks to the local winos. I happened to have my sons F2 in the trunk,and decided to swing by after work. I was using the little 4" coil and was SHOCKED by the amount of shallow and mid range clad the other two Fishers missed.Nothing was older than the 60s,but the quanity was impressive. the recovery speed with the 4"coil is amazing. What a fun little machine. Happy Hunting.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No matter what you use there's always more. And sometimes the "easy" units are less likely to be set wrong for conditions.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey All. I have been pounding an old spot near my apt for the past two years. I have pulled about 65 old coins,and lots of relics from this spot. I have been working it with an F70 and Cz70,both using the small coils. this place is a carpet of screw caps,pull tabs, and can slaw thanks to the local winos. I happened to have my sons F2 in the trunk,and decided to swing by after work. I was using the little 4" coil and was SHOCKED by the amount of shallow and mid range clad the other two Fishers missed.Nothing was older than the 60s,but the quanity was impressive. the recovery speed with the 4"coil is amazing. What a fun little machine. Happy Hunting.

You got that right! The pinpointing, depth guage, recovery speed & separation just amaze me with the F2 4" coil combo. It seems like I hunt & recover targets so fast when using this combo. Found many coins with my F2 that my Vaquero missed, and a few that my X-Terra 505 missed, including a 1916 wheat the other day in a 30' x 30' spot I have gridded & meticulously hunted with different coils on the X-Terra after finding an IH & 2 pre-1903 pocket watch cases in this same grid. The F2 is a great machine, it still surprises me. Always interesting to me when the F2 can find what others 3x the price missed

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Its a great machine, no doute there, so many beeperists talk it down, but it really is a good machine, I still break mine out. I call it the scouting unit, for them fast have an idea check out area's. I like to use mine with a NEL Sharpshooter coil.

RGV_Digger

Dec 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got to admit the F2 is an amazing machine. Look at what I pulled up in a little over an hour. I've never pulled so many coins before with my ATP.

e25a315d996c35d2e340f94a30769546.jpg

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got to admit the F2 is an amazing machine. Look at what I pulled up in a little over an hour. I've never pulled so many coins before with my ATP.

Haha! Never ceases to amaze me. The F2 rocks.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I bought mine just to take on vacations, but it was so much fun to use and so productive with the 8" coil it became my prime hunting tool for 3 years and I got real good at using it.
About 18 months in I switched over to the sniper coil, finally, just for giggles and on a whim at first.
The first time using it at one of my trashy areas, next to a popular picnic pavilion in a park, the sniper found so many coins I missed that my jaw dropped.
It was like I never hunted this area before and I had done exactly that with the larger coil several times previously.
I just left that coil on for the next 18 months that I used it and not only found tons of clad but silver chains seemed to be popping out of the ground for me faster and more frequently than ever.
Oh yea...in the space of 15 months it also found me 11 gold rings and a large 14k religious medallion very easily and most of the time in severe trash.
This thing is not a toy and deadly accurate and productive...especially with the sniper coil mounted.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought mine just to take on vacations, but it was so much fun to use and so productive with the 8" coil it became my prime hunting tool for 3 years and I got real good at using it.
About 18 months in I switched over to the sniper coil, finally, just for giggles and on a whim at first.
The first time using it at one of my trashy areas, next to a popular picnic pavilion in a park, the sniper found so many coins I missed that my jaw dropped.
It was like I never hunted this area before and I had done exactly that with the larger coil several times previously.
I just left that coil on for the next 18 months that I used it and not only found tons of clad but silver chains seemed to be popping out of the ground for me faster and more frequently than ever.
Oh yea...in the space of 15 months it also found me 11 gold rings and a large 14k religious medallion very easily and most of the time in severe trash.
This thing is not a toy and deadly accurate and productive...especially with the sniper coil mounted.

When I take mine out jewelry hunting, I get inspired by thinkng of the ring you hit that bought you the F70!

mattyshore

Jul 16, 2013
Westbury, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using a stock F2 for three years now and love it. I have made thousands in clad over this time, and I measure my silver in ounces thanks to this machine. I have yet to find any gold, but I am pretty sure this machine can find it as long as I keep diggin it all!

mattyshore

Jul 16, 2013
Westbury, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When you found your gold rings this was with the sniper coil? What where they ringing in as? Where I live EVERYWHERE is littered with pull tabs and cans galore. I tried to find videos to see what number they were ringing but have only found a few. What is a usual number some of the gold rings you have found ring in as on the display? Like Quarters for me always ring in the 77-82 range. 76 is usually just trash. Thanks for your help. I have yet to find any gold but silver and clad don't get me started!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
When you found your gold rings this was with the sniper coil? What where they ringing in as? Where I live EVERYWHERE is littered with pull tabs and cans galore. I tried to find videos to see what number they were ringing but have only found a few. What is a usual number some of the gold rings you have found ring in as on the display? Like Quarters for me always ring in the 77-82 range. 76 is usually just trash. Thanks for your help. I have yet to find any gold but silver and clad don't get me started!

35 gold targets to date and I just passed my 5 year anniversary in this hobby..3/4's of them found with the F2, 13 were found after I put on the sniper coil in a span of 14 months.
I found a few in the first two years by luck, a couple more in the 6 months after that but all the rest in just the last 2.5 years after I decided to really study this metal, how it behaves in the wild and I studied sites to in order to figure out the highest percentage areas to find that metal.
Most of the time I did not dig all signals to find them either.
Far from it, what I do is dig SOLID SIGNALS with the F2, rarely dig anything I come across that jumped more than three numbers, for instance a 28-30 signal I dig, a 28-32 hardly ever because that would usually be trash.
I slowly over time learned to get the center of he coil, any coil, over the target efficiently and using short quick swipes get most targets to either stay within that 3 number jump from one if not two directions...or not.
After digging tons of different targets for a long time I finally decided that those targets I could not get to stay within that three number span were trash and I would not dig them anymore.
Those that stayed within those rules I would dig every time no matter where they came in from foil on up.
This is not foolproof, I very could be missing some good targets this way, and not all trash jumps more than those 3 numbers, about 20% will still come in stable.
However by spending my time digging all targets at good numbers for coins and the 20% of those stable trash signals I still come across I waste very little time and energy digging bad signals and the bulk of my time digging better high percentage signals.
The result...I now dig way less trash than ever before and found and continue to find a higher volume of good targets and better quality targets too, and by that I mean gold.
I still do it this way no matter what detector I use and I still am finding more gold than I ever did when I started, more than I probably should deserve but I will still take it.
As far as where they come in I dig all numbers from 24 on up where small yellow gold rings come in to 52 where the largest of 5 10k class rings came in.
Higher karat can come in higher so I am always on the lookout for that, and silver can come in lower than the dime area, also, so in effect my rules are in effect for all signals I dig.
Jumpy ones stay in the ground, solid numbers get dug.
All gold I have dug had been from very shallow to no more than 5" deep.
Very deep gold can act differently and be jumpy, but every one I have dug has stayed within my 3 rule jump.
Every one.
I have found many in foil from that 24 on up through the rest of the foil numbers, in nickel at all those numbers and tabs at most of those numbers too...at least up to the 42-44 area.
5 class rings came in between 48 and 52.

Look for gold any way you want to, you don't seem to have much trouble finding everything else.
If you can use something useful to help you find gold in what I wrote here I hope you do and find some soon.

Here is some of the gold I have found and VDI numbers.
A few of my newest ones are missing from this group photo but it will give you a clue on where gold might come in.

Attachments

• all gold to 7-24 with vdi.jpg
    all gold to 7-24 with vdi.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:

mattyshore

Jul 16, 2013
Westbury, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, Thanks so much Digger27! I started using the sniper coil and have found a lot the 8 inch coil missed just a few days ago. I am also picking up the 11DD coil next week as well. I started digging stable targets just like you were talking about and the targets have been good. I have noticed that certain numbers are always trash signals but nickle I did and 3/4 of the time its trash, usually large piece of foil but still I am digging less trash and increasing the amount of coins and other stuff I find. Would love another machine but not really ready to get rid of this F2. I work it hard and it has never failed it has been a great machine to me. Thanks again for your help.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Awesome, Thanks so much Digger27! I started using the sniper coil and have found a lot the 8 inch coil missed just a few days ago. I am also picking up the 11DD coil next week as well. I started digging stable targets just like you were talking about and the targets have been good. I have noticed that certain numbers are always trash signals but nickle I did and 3/4 of the time its trash, usually large piece of foil but still I am digging less trash and increasing the amount of coins and other stuff I find. Would love another machine but not really ready to get rid of this F2. I work it hard and it has never failed it has been a great machine to me. Thanks again for your help.

I upgraded that pic above with more info.

I bought the F2 as a backup/take on vacation only.
I had no plans on it becoming my prime hunting tool...but plans change.
Sometimes you just click with a detector and with this one I sure did.
I found a ton with the bigger coil but the amount of coins I found when hunting my old sites and the amount of quality jewelry and other finds that I dug with the sniper just floored me so it became my prime coil.
I would probably still be hunting with that thing if an F70 at a fire sale price didn't cross my path.
I will never sell the F2, it is still great, the perfect guest detector and I might even pull it out once in awhile in the future just for old times sake.
One other thing I love about Fishers is the language from the bottom to the top of the line is pretty much the same.
The language, behavior and even the VDI numbers are similar because they all have the same DNA at their core.
I learned the F2 so well that moving to the F70 was a breeze and my job now is just to learn what the vast amount of settings and greater power can do for me.

Below is a pic of not only the gold but several other great targets the F2 and sniper found me in the short 18 month span I used that set-up.
When people ask for advice about a good starter detector there are now way more good choices today than ever before at the entry level price point for detectors with screens.
I still say that the F2 multiple coil combination packages are still one of the most fun, productive and best values on the market today.
Many owners believe this and I am just guessing here but think you would agree.

Attachments

• sniper stuff 11-11.jpg
    sniper stuff 11-11.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

RGV_Digger

Dec 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I upgraded that pic above with more info.

I bought the F2 as a backup/take on vacation only.
I had no plans on it becoming my prime hunting tool...but plans change.
Sometimes you just click with a detector and with this one I sure did.
I found a ton with the bigger coil but the amount of coins I found when hunting my old sites and the amount of quality jewelry and other finds that I dug with the sniper just floored me so it became my prime coil.
I would probably still be hunting with that thing if an F70 at a fire sale price didn't cross my path.
I will never sell the F2, it is still great, the perfect guest detector and I might even pull it out once in awhile in the future just for old times sake.
One other thing I love about Fishers is the language from the bottom to the top of the line is pretty much the same.
The language, behavior and even the VDI numbers are similar because they all have the same DNA at their core.
I learned the F2 so well that moving to the F70 was a breeze and my job now is just to learn what the vast amount of settings and greater power can do for me.

Below is a pic of not only the gold but several other great targets the F2 and sniper found me in the short 18 month span I used that set-up.
When people ask for advice about a good starter detector there are now way more good choices today than ever before at the entry level price point for detectors with screens.
I still say that the F2 multiple coil combination packages are still one of the most fun, productive and best values on the market today.
Many owners believe this and I am just guessing here but think you would agree.
Digger so besides the rolled gold ring all your gold has come in at 54 or below and above 24?

I might just discriminate all but that and dig solid signals between there.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice info, digger27. I keep the NEL sharpshooter on mine. I'm wondering if the F2/F4 is going to be retired when the F11, F22 and F44 come out. They are the only machines in the 5.9khz range, and doesn't appear to be a Fratbros platform that all FTP machines are turning to. Comparing my Quick Draw Pro to my F2, the QDP is deeper and a slight better recovery rate. If FTP is using the same platform for the new Fishers (and probably better than the BH Pros), they may drop the 5.9khz series. Just a thought.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Digger so besides the rolled gold ring all your gold has come in at 54 or below and above 24?

Yes, mine has, but there are exceptions.
The 06 really thin gold chain...that was a lucky find because there was a key on that chain that came in zinc and the chain was a complete surprise.
The chain cannot be picked up at all, the very tiny clasp can with the Compadre and the F2 and the sniper coil at no more than 3".
I have not tested it with my F70 and any coil to the present time but I am pretty sure I can pick it up and I assume my Vaq and sniper coil might be able to see it, also.
So tiny studs and really thin gold chains iron is where you need to look but that is a hassle.

Also a friend found a very tiny gold ring that barely fit on the end of my pinky so I mean small.
On his MXT and I assume every other detector out there this thing came in the same as a dime.
Why?
It was marked 999...as close to 24k as you can get.
Large gold coins or extreme high karat gold in any form will act in a similar fashion.

Be that as it may, here in the US 10k to 18k is the norm so for me that 24 to mid 50's is my prime area to look for gold.
From what I understand even the teeny tiny $1 gold coin, ever see one of those....about as small as the nail on your pinky and really thin, that should come in at about 24 on my Fisher's too...and hopefully as a solid signal.
People hated to deal with these things in days gone by, they were hard to find in pockets and then easily lost because they were so hard to keep track of.
Hope to find one someday but they are so small the chances are slim.
If I keep digging lower 20's numbers maybe lightning will strike.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not a good idea to disc. You will lose depth and probably miss targets due to masking. If there is a rusty nail next a gold ring & you disc iron, you may never hear the ring's signal, only the nail. Being a low conductor, gold will be easily masked by iron (or trash in general). Best to leave it wide open (no disc or notching) & use your ears/eyes & just dig those 24-54 signals.

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
35 gold targets to date and I just passed my 5 year anniversary in this hobby..3/4's of them found with the F2, 13 were found after I put on the sniper coil in a span of 14 months.
I found a few in the first two years by luck, a couple more in the 6 months after that but all the rest in just the last 2.5 years after I decided to really study this metal, how it behaves in the wild and I studied sites to in order to figure out the highest percentage areas to find that metal.
Most of the time I did not dig all signals to find them either.
Far from it, what I do is dig SOLID SIGNALS with the F2, rarely dig anything I come across that jumped more than three numbers, for instance a 28-30 signal I dig, a 28-32 hardly ever because that would usually be trash.
I slowly over time learned to get the center of he coil, any coil, over the target efficiently and using short quick swipes get most targets to either stay within that 3 number jump from one if not two directions...or not.
After digging tons of different targets for a long time I finally decided that those targets I could not get to stay within that three number span were trash and I would not dig them anymore.
Those that stayed within those rules I would dig every time no matter where they came in from foil on up.
This is not foolproof, I very could be missing some good targets this way, and not all trash jumps more than those 3 numbers, about 20% will still come in stable.
However by spending my time digging all targets at good numbers for coins and the 20% of those stable trash signals I still come across I waste very little time and energy digging bad signals and the bulk of my time digging better high percentage signals.
The result...I now dig way less trash than ever before and found and continue to find a higher volume of good targets and better quality targets too, and by that I mean gold.
I still do it this way no matter what detector I use and I still am finding more gold than I ever did when I started, more than I probably should deserve but I will still take it.
As far as where they come in I dig all numbers from 24 on up where small yellow gold rings come in to 52 where the largest of 5 10k class rings came in.
Higher karat can come in higher so I am always on the lookout for that, and silver can come in lower than the dime area, also, so in effect my rules are in effect for all signals I dig.
Jumpy ones stay in the ground, solid numbers get dug.
All gold I have dug had been from very shallow to no more than 5" deep.
Very deep gold can act differently and be jumpy, but every one I have dug has stayed within my 3 rule jump.
Every one.
I have found many in foil from that 24 on up through the rest of the foil numbers, in nickel at all those numbers and tabs at most of those numbers too...at least up to the 42-44 area.
5 class rings came in between 48 and 52.

Look for gold any way you want to, you don't seem to have much trouble finding everything else.
If you can use something useful to help you find gold in what I wrote here I hope you do and find some soon.

Here is some of the gold I have found and VDI numbers.
A few of my newest ones are missing from this group photo but it will give you a clue on where gold might come in.

I got's to get me one of them there sniper coils for my Delta.
Your post has inspired me and caused me to think a bit harder.

Congrats on your MD'ing/F2 success as well.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I have snipers for all my detectors...and I use them.
I use bigger coils too, both DD's and concentric, love them all and try to use the right tool for the right job when I can.
Just makes things easier in the long run, and more productive when you think about it logically and do it right.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread