Deteknix Xpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was thinking about getting f5, To save money I may go with f4. Can't find a lot of info. Are their any F4 users out her that can help me out.
Would like to know ease of use and expected depths of finds.
Coins, Relic and jewelry hunting, Inland and beach.

One bummer about the F4 is the ground balance is only adjustable in all metal mode, not in disc mode. Another option for a similar price is the Teknetics Gamma 6000. Adjustable GB & the display is much larger & easier to see. Plus alot of other great features for the price. Good luck!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was in your same shoes last June. I ended up getting the F4. Loved it. The DD coil allows for good ground coverage. It paid for itself in about 3 months. I'd still be swinging it if I didn't run into a great deal on an F75 SE LTD. The F4 can get a quarter at 9 inches depending on soil conditions. I did not use it in all metal mode. I ran it with discrimination. Easy detector to operate.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GB on the F-4 is set while in All Metal and carries over to Disc when you switch. Easy to operate and learn. Depth depends on conductivity of item, size, orientation in ground.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GB on the F-4 is set while in All Metal and carries over to Disc when you switch. Easy to operate and learn. Depth depends on conductivity of item, size, orientation in ground.
Thanks for the correction, Sandman. I read somewhere that the GB was only adjustable in AM, & fixed in disc. Didn't make much sense to me at the time.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Sorry, incorrect.
This is according to Dave Johnson, one of the head engineers at First Texas and known as woof on the forums.
The only time the ground balance is in effect is either in all metal or when using the pinpoint button which puts it into all metal also.
No way shape or form does GB carry over into disc at any time....that is always going to be a preset level from the factory just like hunting with the F2.

This misinformation has been floating around for a long time, if you call the factory some of the techs will tell you it does transfer over, others will tell you it won't or they used to, anyway.
Hopefully by now they have retrained everyone that talks to the public with more accurate product information.

Here is a post where both Dave J. AND Mike Scott both categorically state the truth.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/fisher-research-labs/279376-ground-balance-f4.html

This is why I have always said unless you plan on doing a lot of hunting in all metal the F2 or the F5 are both better choices depending on what level of adjustability and settings you prefer to have handy.

I know several that have gotten an F4 in super hard to pass up deals, but paying $400 for this thing brand new makes no sense to me when there are better values on the market.
The F5 from the right motivated dealer I bet can come close to the F4 price.
Even at $100 more considering what you get on the F5 over the F4 is well worth it in my mind.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, incorrect.
This is according to Dave Johnson, one of the head engineers at First Texas and known as woof on the forums.
The only time the ground balance is in effect is either in all metal or when using the pinpoint button which puts it into all metal also.
No way shape or form does GB carry over into disc at any time....that is always going to be a preset level from the factory just like hunting with the F2.

This information has been floating around for a long time.

Here is a post where both Dave J. AND Mike Scott both categorically state the truth.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/fisher-research-labs/279376-ground-balance-f4.html

This is why I have always said unless you plan on doing a lot of hunting in all metal the F2 or the F5 are both better choices depending on what level of adjustability and settings you prefer to have handy.

I WAS correct, lol! Thanks so much Digger for the clarification. I remember now, I read the same post you quoted, straight from the horse's mouth. Thanks again

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, incorrect.

This misinformation has been floating around for a long time, if you call the factory some of the techs will tell you it does transfer over, others will tell you it won't or they used to, anyway.
Hopefully by now they have retrained everyone that talks to the public with more accurate product information.

I know several that have gotten an F4 in super hard to pass up deals, but paying $400 for this thing brand new makes no sense to me when there are better values on the market.
The F5 from the right motivated dealer I bet can come close to the F4 price.
Even at $100 more considering what you get on the F5 over the F4 is well worth it in my mind.

I too stand corrected. Thanks.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I called and talked to a tech about 4 months ago. I was told it carried over to discriminate mode.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called and talked to a tech about 4 months ago. I was told it carried over to discriminate mode.

So either the engineers, (Dave Johnson & Mike Scott) gave the wrong info, or the tech on the phone gave you the wrong info. One would think the engineers would know the features of the machines they designed. I always read it was fixed GB in disc, adjustable GB in AM.

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
So either the engineers, (Dave Johnson & Mike Scott) gave the wrong info, or the tech on the phone gave you the wrong info. One would think the engineers would know the features of the machines they designed. I always read it was fixed GB in disc, adjustable GB in AM.

This sort of misinformation has been going on for years.
Others have posted in the past that they also called and techs have told them it doesn't carry over.
I would have hoped they would have gotten their act together by now but evidently not.

Dave Johnson has stated several times on different forums over the last few years that it doesn't carry over.
I am going to go with a respected design engineer on this one over anyone else.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions