Fisher F2 at beaches - any good?

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yodels all!

I found a F2 for sale locally and am considering buying.
I'm looking for a coin and ring MD that I can have for wife or kids to join me at the beach this summer or to loan out to a friend who may want to join me from time to time.

I know the F2 is a cheap model but I've heard good things about them with rings and coins.
But how they do with saltwater/beaches?

Thanks!!

G

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe that as long as they are only detecting the dry sand they should be okay.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yodels all!

I found a F2 for sale locally and am considering buying.
I'm looking for a coin and ring MD that I can have for wife or kids to join me at the beach this summer or to loan out to a friend who may want to join me from time to time.

I know the F2 is a cheap model but I've heard good things about them with rings and coins.
But how they do with saltwater/beaches?

Thanks!!

G

Yep, keep it in the dry sand, set sensitivity low enough to prevent falsing. It will work, but not well in wet sand at all.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed. Took mine a few years ago to Myrtle. Dry sand doesn't affect it's normal great IDing of coins and jewelry, but the wet beach drives it nuts unless you drop the sense to the second from bottom bar. You can still get about 3" in wet sand, but that's a waste of time hunting then. I never found much in wet, but did better in dry where people lay stuff on towels.

Unless you're going to Oregon or Washington, you should be OK. Lots of minerals even in the sand up there.

There IS a guy on Treasure Depot selling a like new F2 with all 3 coils (4,8 and 10") for $150 shipped. Includes extra lower rod and Fisher bag.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread