Problem with Fisher F75SE

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys,
So I was super excited when a FedEx truck dropped off my F75SE today (wasn't supposed to arrive until Wednesday). I bought it used on eBay along with the 5 inch coil for a great price. When I finally got out to test it, I found there was an issue with the settings dial. Let's say my sensitivity is at 60 and I want to bump it up to 70. I'll start turning the dial clockwise and the number will go up accordingly. But, after a few digits, the number will start going back down as I turn it. I want to be clear that I am not changing the direction that I'm turning the dial. The number will start going up, then without notice, start going down. This will happen with all settings both when I'm trying to increase them and when I'm trying to decrease them. Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a trip to El Paso is indicated. If they have to fix it, maybe you will get the opportunity to get back with DST!

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a trip to El Paso is indicated. If they have to fix it, maybe you will get the opportunity to get back with DST!

Okay, that's what I was afraid of.

Could I contact the seller in eBay. I purchased an F75 in "full working condition" and eBay claims to offer a money back guarantee if you don't receive the item you ordered

If not, does anyone know a fisher representative on the forum that I could contact?

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crazy4coins did you try a reset ? I had 2-75's never had any issues

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I reset it every time I turn it on, but it seems to have no effect.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are always taking a chance when buying used, especially from Ebay. It was in full working order maybe till Fed Ex tossed the box around. A good reason to buy from a local dealer so you can carry it home. But many don't have a local dealer within 100 miles. Fisher will fix it for you and test it.:occasion14:

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are always taking a chance when buying used, especially from Ebay. It was in full working order maybe till Fed Ex tossed the box around. A good reason to buy from a local dealer so you can carry it home. But many don't have a local dealer within 100 miles. Fisher will fix it for you and test it.:occasion14:

Alright, thanks sandman. Do you have any idea how much that might cost? I know you don't know what's behind the issue, but worst case scenario...?

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

True, but Fed Ex tosses EVERY box around. Why would just this one F75 be defective from tossing the box? A properly packed box should be able to survive the rigors of shipping, one would think. It was likely defective when it was shipped. I have slipped & dropped my F2's on the hard clay ground a couple times (with zero packaging) & they still worked just fine. If the seller won't help you, I would contact ebay & open a case as it did not arrive in "working order, as described". If seller claims it was 'damaged in shipping' it should also be covered by shipping insurance. You should NOT have to ship it to FTP when buying what you thought is a "working" F75, unless it is your very last option. Good luck man, hope it works out quickly for ya.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True, but Fed Ex tosses EVERY box around. Why would just this one F75 be defective from tossing the box? A properly packed box should be able to survive the rigors of shipping, one would think. It was likely defective when it was shipped. I have slipped & dropped my F2's on the hard clay ground a couple times (with zero packaging) & they still worked just fine. If the seller won't help you, I would contact ebay & open a case as it did not arrive in "working order, as described". If seller claims it was 'damaged in shipping' it should also be covered by shipping insurance. You should NOT have to ship it to FTP when buying what you thought is a "working" F75, unless it is your very last option. Good luck man, hope it works out quickly for ya.

Haha, me too! I just looked into filing an eBay report. Looks like I would be able to return it at no cost. After that, it would only take a call to one of the forum sponsors to get things done right :)

On a side note, what should I be getting for air tests with the F75 in de/bp mode?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Further investigation reveals that the coil was formerly cracked (fixed with some sealant), and that the screw holes in the control box were filled with loctite (I'm hoping just to keep the screws from coming loose). The return application is going out this afternoon.

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a closeup of the guy's DIY coil fix...

EDIT: Upon further review, the First Texas 11 inch dd coil comes standard with epoxy/sealant in the rear of the coil. However, the fact remains that a crack is beginning to show.

Attachments

• 1432577802825.jpg
    1432577802825.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a closeup of the guy's DIY coil fix...

Wow what a d**k! Selling that to you without your knowledge? These kind of idiots give ebay a bad name. Sorry buddy.

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow what a d**k! Selling that to you without your knowledge? These kind of idiots give ebay a bad name. Sorry buddy.

You're not kidding. What really surprises me is that out of hundreds of seller reviews, not a single one of them is negative (yet!). I just can't see how I'm the only one getting this kind of BS from the guy.
Fortunately, I caught the issue on camera for evidence and saved the original packaging. If all goes well, the detector should be returned with no financial loss to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good news! The seller accepted my request and the unit will on the road tomorrow!

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good news! The seller accepted my request and the unit will on the road tomorrow!

As well he should! Shame on that dude for wasting your time in the first place! Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread