I do not remember seeing this posted...

James/Texas

Mar 6, 2008
Edinburg, Texas
Detector(s) used
Many. A lot. Whole bunch. Several.
Do you hunt in trashy places with the Fisher F series detector? Well, I do and if you are like me, I have been discriminating out the tabs to keep the junk from driving my mind crazy. I have been doing this since 2009 when I purchased my F75. I do have the DST upgrade. Let me give you a tip that may suit your detector setup and able you to get more finds. If you discriminate out everything except nickels, (anything above 64 can not be discriminated) then you could be missing some coins. Why? Because the F series detectors, and most other detectors as well, will 'average' up or down on multiple targets in the ground. Say there is a dime (or penny) and an inch or two away is a nickel and you sweep over them, and have 'Tabs' discriminated out, you will NOT get a signal. Nothing! If you add in 'Tabs' then you WILL get a signal. The signal will be in the 'Tab' range somewhere around 46 to 49 because the detector has averaged the signal. This will happen in any process while in 'Disc'. There is not a problem in 'All Metal". You can perform a test of your own to verify this. I hunt in modern, trashy parks, so this is known and accepted by me. You guys that hunt in some older parks could easily pass up some shield or V nickels so I thought I would mention this in a post. Hope this is of some help.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just discriminate out low iron ("5" or so) and then pay attention to the display. If the target is solid when swept two directions and as the coil is lifted I dig. If it "falls apart" or jumps around I don't.

My first detector had no notches or display so I got used to a noisy machine. The sweet signals still get my attention.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last season I swung the F4 for about 450 hrs. I did discriminate all (iron-zinc) and notched nickles back in for most public properties. When I was at an older permission property I'd notch zinc also. I only have about 60 hours on the F75 LTD SE upgraded and normally discriminate iron and foil (1-25). I may miss a small gold earring, :BangHead: but I aim to be a coinshooter mainly. Old, new, clad, silver, I like coins.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Notching out zinc will lose smaller silver rings and medium large gold rings. Notching out pull-tabs will lose medium gold rings like 10k ladies class rings.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Notching out zinc will lose smaller silver rings and medium large gold rings. Notching out pull-tabs will lose medium gold rings like 10k ladies class rings.

True! I don't understand why people notch out items that have similar conductivity as gold. I would much rather find a gold ring than clad or a silver dime, JMO.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run my F75SE at 15 disc most of the time. I found a small 14K white gold band last weekend that jumped between 23-30 on the VDI but it was solid repeatable both ways. I took a woven 14K bracelet and buried it at approx 7" and the VDI was a solid 16 every time in every way (16 is not a typo)... if you don't care about gold, run your disc at approx 28 (nickels and up) but you will miss gold...
Gary from Oregon...

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Last season I swung the F4 for about 450 hrs. I did discriminate all (iron-zinc) and notched nickles back in for most public properties. When I was at an older permission property I'd notch zinc also. I only have about 60 hours on the F75 LTD SE upgraded and normally discriminate iron and foil (1-25). I may miss a small gold earring, :BangHead: but I aim to be a coinshooter mainly. Old, new, clad, silver, I like coins.

As far as zinc I can't notch out or in half the segments on my F70 like you can do on the F75, but if I could I would always leave in lower zinc.
5 larger men's 10k gold class rings have come in between 48-52 for me.
I never use notch and dug all solid signals so not really an issue in my case.

Disc at 25 can miss way more than small gold earrings as stated above.
Gold chains, not small ones, either, can easily come in at the teens as masterjedi found, I just read somewhere another hunter just posted he found a really nice gold bracelet at 18.

Silver jewelry can come in really low too, especially chains.
Chains diffuse the return signal to our detectors so silver chains always come in lower than where you would expect.
If you hit a clasp, even on a larger silver chain, that could easily come in below that 25 into lower foil.
Some really small chains can actually stay in iron and an example is this very tiny one I found below.

Finally silver coins.
The Fishers seem to up-average targets in the vicinity of other metals pretty well, but under the right circumstances they will also down-average.
I can see silver coins being missed at certain sites with lots of iron.
Digging a ton of iron just to find a few silver coins might not be worth the effort, but for some it might be.
NASA Tom wrote up his experience regarding just such a scenario reprinted below.

-----------!--------------

--- Recently, I recovered a badly masked Barber dime. When I (first) detected this severely handicapped dime, the F-75 was in 'monotone', Disc '6', 'PF' and Sens on '99'. In monotone, the dime AUDIBLY sounded good. (( I was going to dig this target )). The VDI was terrible - would/could NOT lock on to anything close to resembling a highly conductive piece of silver. I then invoked 2-tone..... leaving ALL other settings alone. Now.... the dime was constantly audibly reporting as low-tone (iron-tone).....even as I rotated my body around target. The VDI was jumping all over the board. mostly in the iron ID range. I made the decision to NOT recover the target, primarily due to low iron-tone..... and walked away. Several hours later, I decided to go back and recover this target (and MANY other similar responding targets)..... with F-75 back in 'monotone'. Results = One 2" nail, two 1/2" long nails..... and one 1893 'O' Barber dime. Yep; MOSTLY iron, but certainly not ALL iron. The 2-tone mode did not lie. Justification = The composite of the 4 targets (3 nails & one dime) were higher in conductivity than any one of the nails individually...... but TOTAL conductive composite was HIGHER than any nail (or combination of nails) would have cumulatively registered. Because I (and the detector) knew that the detected target (suspected co-locate/composite of multiple targets under coil) were higher than the conductivity of most nails... yet STILL ID'd in the 'Fe/iron' range...... this target was needing recovery. Good thing! Selecting any other tone option..... and the detector would audibly report the composite as "low-tone/iron-tone". Yes, the F-75 will still unmask more non-ferrous targets than other detectors if 2-tone or multiple tones are selected; however, a substantially greater level of unmasking performance can be ascertained when unit is placed in 'monotone'. ((( The T-2 with a Disc setting of '21' is the exact same thing as all of the info above ))). Having the ability to adjust how MUCH iron you choose to discriminate.is a major attribute. Small iron items.. such as nails will Disc out at a fairly low iron Disc range.

Attachments

• PicsArt_1432766406667.jpg
    PicsArt_1432766406667.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great info digger27... Thanks

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out with my friend Canslaw this morning to the spot I found the 14K White Gold ladies band last weekend that VDI'd 23-30 and this morning found this ring a 14K White Gold ring with a Blue birthstone and (2) small Diamonds. It VDI'd.. 22-24 on my Fisher F75SE... Be careful with too much discrimination. I was running disc at 15...
Gary from Oregon

14K White Gold Diamond Blue Stone Ring 5-30-2015.png

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
folks who notch out zinc --might also be losing indain head cents as well..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread