WW2 Good Conduct medal need help returning it

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 - 900 and Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for a bit of assistance from anyone in the Aurora area. We found a WW2 Good Conduct Medal in the Denton, Texas, area, for a Lem Thomas Buford, born in 1919, and have tracked him to an address on S Andes in Aurora, Co.. Seems he passed away in 2007, but family is still listed there.

So, anyone in that area that can help us return it we would appreciate it. Ray, 'Esko' has had it restored with ribbon, and is mounted in a box. We are trying to find some sort of WW2 era pic in uniform so we can put it with the medal.

Would love to get it to someone to return and maybe get some pics. We hang out on coinshootingonline from the Houston area. Ray is in Denton Texas. Esko on that site and I am jas415

Thanks guys, and ladies.

EODsmitty

Aug 21, 2012
Harker Heights, Tx
Detector(s) used
MIMID, ACE 350, Garret tactical pointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would be honored to return it for you. I am a active duty Command Sergeant Major stationed at Fort Hood, Tx. I can contact the PAO (Public Affairs Office) to do a story on it. Down side is I leave for Afghanistan in 40 days so, if you let me do it we need to act soon. My email is [email protected]

OP
OP
jas415

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smitty, first Thanks for Your service! Stay safe over there. I forwarded this information to Ray, who dug the medal in the Denton area. He will probably get with you. We have another fella there in the Denver area that is going to drive by the latest address. Thanks for the response

EODsmitty

Aug 21, 2012
Harker Heights, Tx
Detector(s) used
MIMID, ACE 350, Garret tactical pointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No thanks needed. I do it for the love of my country and the freedoms it ensures we have. I am standing by if needed. Just let me know what you need me to do.

OP
OP
jas415

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smitty we finally got a response late last Friday from the Army at Fort Carson. Some Capt., said he would do all he can to get it back to the family. I called there 5 times and Ray called 3 or 4 times. We talked to several different places and got ZERO response from Community affairs, Public Affairs, and Casualty affairs. We explained everything, name, type of medal, where found, who it belonged to, the families name and address, when it could be done, but it seemed not one person was interested in stepping up to try to get it done. Everyone seemed to want to forward it to someone else. "We will get back to you"! Very disappointed in their responses. Maybe this Capt will do better, but it remains to be seen. I hope to hell some of the folks there never, ever, get in a gunfight because by the time they 'forward messages', 'inform someone', get a committee together, have a vote, etc., we will all be dead. Not what I thought the army would do. I think the only reason we actually ever got a call back was i said the next call I was going to make was the TC stations in Denver, then to NAACP chapter in Denver, and see if they could get the Army there interested in returning a medal. Smitty, you need a quick transfer to Fort Carson as Command Sgt Major of the 4th infantry Brigade and kick some asses!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread