Metal Detecting
You can always give me the AT Gold and I'll pass my ACE 250 to rhe kids. lol

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like to use one detector for land (mild soils in Ohio), I have one for the water, and I also have a loaner/back-up. I only use my loaner when I hunt abandoned homes in the seedier areas of a city. If I am held up they can take the Classic ID and not my prized F75 LTD SE.

You can only master something, if you put the time in on it. Hard to master multiple detectors in my eyes. Yes you can be proficient, but I, rather invest all my time on one model.

As for your detectors, I'd keep 2. Use the F5 or AT Gold in high EMI areas and the F75 in lesser EMI areas. Or sell both and get an F75 that has the DST upgrade.

Do you plan on hunting rivers or lakes in your area? If yes that might be the only reason I would keep one of the ATs.

I have no idea of the soil type in your area. Many other MDer's like to have mutiple detector, and select which one to use depending on where they are hunting and what they are looking for. It's pretty mush a personal choice.

Its' comparable to the amount of saws I own. I have a circular saw, a table saw, a jig saw, a sawz-all, a drywall saw, mite rbox and saw. Each one is used for a particular task and makes the job easier if you choose the right one.

OP
OP
lawman0210

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's true. Yeah I agree I need to start focusing on one
I wish the fishers had the coin ringtone. That's one thing I do like about the garrett's

James/Texas

Mar 6, 2008
Edinburg, Texas
Detector(s) used
Many. A lot. Whole bunch. Several.
Too many detectors and you will never master any. Keep the F5 and F75. Use the F75 and keep the F5 as backup. I have the F75 and F5. I have had the F75 since 2008 and had the DST upgrade. Love the upgrade and so glad I decided to do it. I feel that I have mastered the F75. I have put tons of hours of use on it. The F5 is a different story. I have only used it a few times. It is a great detector and has it's place. However, I am so tuned to the F75 that I have not given the F5 enough time to master it. These two detectors do complement each other as the tones and numbers are so similar but operate a bit differently and each has it's place. Their operating frequencies are different so the coils will not interchange but that is not a problem for me. The different operating frequencies allow for different hunting conditions.

OP
OP
lawman0210

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang I just bought a bunch of coils for the F75 and thought they would cross over. Is there a way to tell what the coils I bought work with? They are Nells and 1 Fisher

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned/used a pile of detectors from Garrett, Fisher, Whites, Tesoro, Technetics and bounty hunter(no minelabs) and the AT gold is by far my favorite. Dont be fooled by the similar looks of it and the pro.....it is a superior machine. My ATpro has a home also just because of howeasy it is to do well with, even for a beginner. My wife loves the ATP.....yours will also. Better keep the Gold.....IMO id sale the ACE's and the F5. It wont do anyhting its big brother the F75 wont do.

OP
OP
lawman0210

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can always give me the AT Gold and I'll pass my ACE 250 to rhe kids. lol

How did I know that was coming? I would give to my kids but kids today (atleast IMHO) don't get metal detecting. I couldn't get my girls to go out there unless I promised there was a feee hair salon and nail makeover coupon somewhere out there

ALDEEZ777

Jul 14, 2014
Davenport, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How did I know that was coming? I would give to my kids but kids today (atleast IMHO) don't get metal detecting. I couldn't get my girls to go out there unless I promised there was a feee hair salon and nail makeover coupon somewhere out there
LOL My 9yo stepdaughter love going out. We metal detect, fossil hunt and arrowhead hunt.

ALDEEZ

OP
OP
lawman0210

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always wondered how you fossil/arrow hunt. Is it all ground finds?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread