May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I hunt in all metal (autotone) and then switch to 0 on a hit to see if its iron or not. I do not dig the iron as there are tons of fishing scraps on my beaches - probably 80% of the hits. Anyway, if I hear the low tone + a mid/high tone, should I be digging? I guess I just need to do it and see what I start to come up with but figured I would ask. I also realize there could be gold and iron in the same spot.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of gold rings that will sound off in the iron setting. Since the digging is easy just scoop and see what is there. A Low and High tone is a dig.:thumbsup:

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my advice in conjunction to Sandman, after using my CZ-20 twice a week for a year. Set it to Autotune (All Metal), Sens 9-10, GB-Depending on your soil, Boost 9, hug the sand closely nice even swings if yo have heavy iron content soil slow down your swing. If you get a hit on all metal switch the knob to 0 and listen to the Disc response if its Mid Tone or High Tone Dig, if Autotune gives you a very faint response on an object and switching to disc gives you a low iron tone DIG !!! it prob is gold or a good target.. My two cents i love that heavy beast.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"if Autotune gives you a very faint response on an object and switching to disc gives you a low iron tone DIG !!! it prob is gold or a good target.."

Or if a faint tone in Autotune and it disappears when you switch to disc, dig it anyway because Autotune reaches deeper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread