need ID Edge setting help

maxxkatt

Jul 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to park and hunted volley ball court. Found gold clad, silver ring worth about $4.00.

But here is the question. I had my settings with the discm set at +22, sensitivity at 7 and notched out pop tops which pretty much eliminates a lot of junk and allows me to concentrate on coins and jewelry.

but kept getting seemingly solid 32-33 signals on what turned out to be crumpled alum cans.

Any way to switch to another setting to verify these as cans before I dig?

Also if anyone with Fisher ID Edge experience can give me hints on settings especially disc and sensitivity I would appreciate it.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Raise the coil 8-10" above the target & see if you still get a signal. If so, it is likely a crushed can (or other large object). This should help ID those cans. I would not disc out pull tabs if looking for gold jewelry. Many gold rings ID as pull tabs and you will miss them.

Mike Hillis

Greenie
Nov 9, 2005
Southwestern United States
Detector(s) used
Currently own and use: F75 LTD w/DST, Etrac, V3, Gold Kruzer, ATPro, Compadre, ETPro, 8500, GSII.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You hunt volley ball courts in All Metal.

If you profile the large sounding signals in Pinpoint or All Metal mode, it will save you a lot of useless digging. This is a very short learning curve. Small targets profile small, large targets profile large.

Profiling is easy. In Pinpoint or All Metal mode, , sweep left across the target, mentally marking where the tone starts, then sweep right acorss the target mentally marking where the tone starts. Small objects will not have a lot of distance between the left sweep and right sweep tone starting points. Large objects will have a lot of distance between the tone starting points.

There are variables of course, for instance, coin spills can create a larger profile, but you'll catch on to those fairly easy too.

HH
Mike

OP
OP
M

maxxkatt

Jul 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice. the fisher ID Edge manual is rather terse on this matter. I tried what you said in the Fisher ID Edge pinpoint mode and lifting it up like you said does work in finding the cans and shredded cans. Also in the pinpoint mode you can move it in all directions to see the size of the object.

John

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
EBay right now has brand new factory owner manuals for $5.99

Seller is "I love my boxer puppy"
No spacing between words,this thing corrected me with spaces

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions