CZ-20 Upgrade.........Is it worth it?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not really an upgrade unless you call installing a pinpoint button an upgrade. Then they call it a CZ-21.

OP
OP
Dave N Japan

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is that really all they do? Do they change the battery compartment at all?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree somewhat, but if the old style pinpoint does leak and you fry the internals then you are SOL correct? Or no?
Also, does anyone know if they give warranty when you do the "conversion"?

OP
OP
Dave N Japan

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Sandman

Been awhile, I think we talked back around 2006....Time fly's" I think it was about the Sand Shark, anyway take care

OP
OP
Dave N Japan

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's right, and that is what I was thinking. I guess you could use it until you notice the wear and tear on it and send it in.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know capacitors dry up, semiconductors wear out due to electron migration and resistance. I think they should at least replace a the pots for the money involved.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for the pinpoint button on the CZ-20, I smeared Silicone sealant over the rubber button to stop any leaks. Never had much use for the pinpoint anyway. Mainly just raised the coil up.:thumbsup:

Hey is there a difference in the "thumps up Smileys" as to blue or yellow left or right?:thumbsup::icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the ame machine, with an upgraded case. Upgrade or not - Your choice. It's not like it's a hard sell or anything.

new case, tested, warranted. Don't need it, don't get it.

OP
OP
Dave N Japan

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
-Well, I got the upgrade last year and it is nice with the new pinpoint. They must of done something inside because my 100 yen coin that is like a nickle is up in the high tone now. I can tell now if it is a hundred yen if I go over it and get the high tone and back off to the edge of detection and it will change to mid tone just before if stops.

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the upgrade done last week. My CZ20 was acting up, so I sent it in and because it was under the lifetime warranty, they did the conversion for $25, post-paid.
Fisher has always treated me great. They pressure tested the housing, kept it longer to make sure it worked properly, installed the new pinpoint button, new gasket, new knobs...everything works like when new, the pinpoint is now capacitive touch and it's no longer a momentary switch, it's latching. I like that, it allows me to leave it in pinpoint mode which I sometimes like to do, it has it's advantages under certain conditions. And it still has the lifetime warranty.
As for internals, there aren't that many electrolytic capacitors in a metal detector (the main type that "dry out"), and in a CZ20 they're in an airtight environment.
Technicians differ in opinions about this, but I've rarely come across dried out caps, even in 30 yr old equipment, and when I did it was big ones, like over 1000 mfd.
I've also never seen transistors that degrade, in my experience they work or they don't. Admittedly, I've seen a few over 40 yrs of tinkering that leak or behave like walking-wounded, but they've been rare. And in metal detectors, the conditions aren't conducive to failure, because it's the perfect environment for a circuit...never a surge, never a brownout, pure, clean DC supply, low voltage. Like a dog in a $200K doghouse. Unless it's subjected to high heat or wet environments, like being kept in a car trunk or dropped in the water. But that isn't warranty covered. In any case I suspect transistors are rare in metal detectors, probably all chips.

In fact, I strongly suspect detectors from most manufacturers, including the Turkish, Bulgarian and Australian ones, use the same chipset, probably bought from Texas instruments or Motorola, with virtually all the functions on the chip, if they want more features they just use more pins...you want multi-tone just hook up pin 43, you want a backlight use pin 32, freq shift..pin 38.
The manufacturer just would design their own battery circuit, 78 series regulator or zener, a reverse polarity protect diode, the LCD display and the housing.
The chipset would bear the imprint of the buyer brand, but it would be a TI something. My guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave N Japan

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Eddie C.

Will Fisher still fix my old machines like my two impulse machines and CZ-3D that were bought back during the lifetime warranty era? ... but you know they still work great after all these years.

Last edited:

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Eddie C.

Will Fisher still fix my old machines like my two impulse machines and CZ-3D that were bought back during the lifetime warranty era? ... but you know they still work great after all these years.

If you registered them, or have the reciepts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread