Need advice suggestions about the fisher 1200 series. 1265 1266 1270. HELP.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi all im considering purchasing a deep relic machine and would love to hear some personal experiences with/about Fisher metal detectors.
Im not real familiar with fisher, but have been reading a little about how some of the older Fisher machines were made very well and are super deep, and good at finding relics.
I recently read how the 1200 series are super deep, and how you can find one used for $300 or less.
I read that the 1270 is deep, and the 1266 is even deeper, and how the 1266 is a sleeping giant. And then there is also the 1265 which is good.
I have a buddy who recently started using a 1270 and said he was hitting Minnie balls in the 12"-15" range the other day.
I have been considering picking up a used 1266, and then I saw a used 1265 for sale recently.
I purchased an old 1280-X Aquanaut a couple years back and was not impressed, so I got rid of it.
Was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about these models "good or bad", and provide links, videos, and some insight.
Im currently using the XP Deus, and have been hitting some deep minnies, faint whispers at 10"-12"es deep, but I would like to purchase a machine strictly for relics, and I believe I would be finding a lot more if I could just go a little deeper.
Seems like from what ive read, 3 of the best relic machines are the old Nautilus DMC2, Tesoro Tejon, and the Fisher 1266-X. I really like the idea of a used 1266 in the $300 or less range.
Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have owned many Fishers thru the past 30 years and it seems many of the 12 series are now in the collector item category. The Tesoro Tejon pays tribute to the 1265 and I recommend a Tejon because it is a great relic machine. If you put the big wide scan coil on the Tejon and hit a Mississippi soybean field you will be in in good shape for digging a good deep bullet.

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
Hi Bonepicker. I am a long times CW relic hunter. I own a 1265 (since 1989), a 1270 (since 2000), and an F75 since 2008. All are good machines for relic hunting. I like the F75 the best. It gives the most information before you make the decision as to whether you want to dig the target or not. Hope tho helps, Geologyjohn.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I owned a 1266X back in the early 1990's....It was an excellent machine and the dual discrimination feature was excellent in determining the target..Made some great finds with it! .Wish I still had it...If you don't mind a beep and dig detector without visual identification, you will like the 1266X....Personally though, I think $300 is a bit much to pay for a metal detector that hasn't been in production for years unless it is in excellent condition...$200-$250 would be more like it for a used 1266X

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
My hunting partner bought a 1266x at the same time that I bought a Tejon. From our comparisons, they seem fairly equivalent in all aspects. So, as roaddust66 suggested above, maybe you should at least take a look at the Tejon.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bonepicker... I sent you a PM.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread