Coil Question on 1265X

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While waiting for my battery holders to arrive (got them from mouser.com. The shipping was twice the cost of the holders!), I was pondering whether to start with the stock coil or put on the 10 inch coil I got with it. Some people say that machines work best with the stock coils, but I'd like to boost the depth if possible. It also came with a set of Depth Master Superphones. I had a set that I used with a Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro that I put a 10 inch coil on back in the late 80s and that machine was pretty good on depth, so hoping that all these items will get me a bit more depth than my Ace 350, though I sometimes wish I could trade them both for an AT-Pro after watching my friends with Pros just eat up everybody else in my club. Thanks!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your 1265 will get more depth than the AT Pro with the stock coil. The larger coil also see's more area under the coil and a little more depth. Don't use to much Sens as that actually gets you less depth as detector then see's more minerals to mask deep items.

The AT Pro guys might be just using the 5X8 coil with a faster swing for more area covered in a certain amount of time.
https://www.losttreasure.com/Home/FieldTestDetail/6115

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We hunt a lot of fields but two guys swear by those little Pro coils, but mostly I get whacked by the 11 inch Pro guys. If the stock 8 inch solid coil will beat the Pro 11 inch DD, I'll try it and see before jumping to the big solid coil. I do a lot of field hunting for colonial stuff, so want something that will hit them good, lots of little cuff buttons, pistol balls, stuff like that, rather than big 3-ringers like Civil War sites produce. Have yet to find a gold coin and 1689 is the oldest date I have turned up so far. Thanks for the advice!:thumbsup:

OP
OP
A

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I got out with the 1265X at a huge field that used to have a house dating to the late 1600s. My best find there had been a 1689 brass shilling, but its been hunted hard for nearly 30 years by my club. So, I kept the 8 inch coil on, hit the field, knowing most of the trash was gone, and found two flat buttons, one about the size of a dime and the other about the size of a nickel. I kept DISC 1 at 3 and Disc 2 at 5 and used the Superphones that came with it, and the signals were nice and clear. Went to an in-town house site later and so much crap in the ground, I had to put the old girl away . It's now my relic and beach machine of choice and I am going to switch to the 11 inch coil next time. The weight wasn't an issue at this point. Thanks for your advice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread